“Amazing wedding venue with fabulous staff!”

Judges Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirklevington
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Me and my husband choose Judges to be our wedding venue 05.04.14. The Court Yard Suite was perfect for what we were after. The large room for a formal sit down meal, the lounge bar for a relaxed atmosphere and the private gardens which made for beautiful pictures... As well as the rest of the grounds and the hotel.
The staff! Well, Emma the events organiser is worth her weight in gold! I emailed her constantly for 18 months regarding wedding ideas, thoughts and concerns. Emma was always happy to help me, even though most of the info I was after was nothing to do with my booking with judges. Emma always seemed happy to be involved in my wedding really was a massive part of making the big day happen. I met Neil the night before the wedding! I wish it had been sooner! He was so kind and thoughtful and had a great sense of humour and work ethic. Neil looked after me the night before and all day during the wedding! He was the perfect master of ceremonies and I was really happy to have him there. Then there was Kim, who worked on reception! I called her none stop the evening before the wedding & on the morning. Kim had the answers to all my questions regarding breakfast, opening windows, getting me spare safety pins amongst lots of other things. Kim really didn't mind my many phone calls and was very cheery and happy to help me in my requests. I stayed in room 18 the evening before the wedding. It was spacious and well maintained. The fridge came in handy and the staff had already stocked my fridge with some soy milk for my cups of tea/coffee. I stayed in the honeymoon suite the evening if the wedding. We had a lovely big soft bed and the views from the room were lovely. Jacuzzi was great.
Now to the food!!! Wow... From breakfast to BBQ to 3 course meal the kitchen staff know how to cook up a storm! The breakfast is fabulous value for money, I ordered more than one plate of food and I highly recommend the French toast & poached eggs and spinach English muffins. Everyone enjoyed their meals at the wedding we had beef and chicken and goats cheese tart for the vegetarian option. If you are thinking of having a wedding if judges... You will not be disappointed! If you are wanting a nice hotel stay with some gorgeous surroundings to explore... You will not be disappointed! If you are after some delicious food... You will not be disappointed. If you are after fabulous staff & customer service... You will not be disappointed! 5 stars! We can't wait to go back for an anniversary celebration!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Toni M
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

I don't know what else to say in response to this review other than thank you very much for your kind words. It's probably best if I just shut up now and look forward to your return! Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 8/5/14

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked the above hotel for our daughters wedding venue. Oh what a wedding the staff were fabulous. We booked all the rooms and each room was excellent the attention to detail is first class nothing too much trouble. Breakfast had a huge selection and very filling. On the run up to the wedding we did have a couple of cream teas and again these were delicious. The grounds are spectacular. If not a wedding Judges is a must for an over night treat

Room Tip: Whatever your reason to visit this hotel I can guarantee you will be well cared for even calling in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank karen s s
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Reading this was a super way to start the day; on behalf of us all thank you for your kind words. Please do tell your friends about us and we all look forward to being of service again in the years to come. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 7/5/14

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband had our wedding reception at Judges on 25th April 2014. We couldn't of asked for a better day. The staff at Judges really do ensure your wedding day runs perfect from start to finish. A huge thank you to Hasan who looked after us on the day he was absolutely fantastic.
And the wedding organiser Emma is an absolute credit to judges. She kept in touch with us from the day we booked the wedding up until the wedding day itself, always on hand to give advice and answer questions!
All of our guests commented on how beautiful the food was which is fantastic as trying to please everyone can be a challenge but Judges were brilliant accommodating dietary requirements and fussy eaters!
Once again thank you to everyone at Judges for making our wedding day so perfect.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Kim B
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Super! On behalf of us all thank you for your very kind words. Please do tell your friends about us! Every happiness to you both in your future together and we all look forward to welcoming you both back to Judges in the years to come. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 29/4/14

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Celebrated my Birthday Party in Garden Room at the weekend and I can't praise the hotel staff and surroundings enough. Wonderful Afternoon Tea, lovely room, very helpful staff at all levels and perfect room for smaller private celebrations. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BMPool
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Super, thank you! Reading this was a great way to end the week. Please do tell your friends about us and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Judges on a future occasion. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 25/4/14

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Really Nice Setting & Well Furnished but the Restaurant is the most Overpriced place I have ever had a meal. My wife & I had been to the Restaurant a couple of times over the years but the last time was so poor value I would never go again. The Plates enormous with a tiny portion of food delicately flowered in the middle was quite laughable, not only our meal but all the other diners. I actually left very annoyed and unhappy as it was a my wife's birthday meal, we needed something to eat when we got home, not right for a meal for two in excess of £100 with no wine.
This must Rank as the North Easts worst value for money Restaurant I have had this misfortune to have visited. Day Light Robbery!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank DJPCleveland
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Odd that this review relates back to an alleged visit in May 2013 and was only posted yesterday. Plus this contributor seems to have posted six reviews about eating in Yarm over two days in April 2014. Wow, what stamina! Anyway, for those who don't already know us, we love criticism that helps us to improve but it was only when I saw the large plate of pasta on this contributor's profile photos (his only food photo), plus five of his ten reviews are rated as terrible (with some very startling comments!), that my radar started to twitch about this review. I understand that not everyone is going to get the type of cooking we do at Judges. As I've said before Judges is about doing something special and we are not a restaurant where value is judged solely on whether or not the portion size is falling off the side of the plate. We are about high quality cooking using the best ingredients that you can buy and which is served by super staff in a gorgeous location. Our menu is designed so that after canapes, amuse bouche, starter, main course, dessert, coffee and petits fours you are then feeling pleasantly full. Since 2003 we continue to be rated by the national food critics as being one of the best restaurants in the whole of the UK. In addition, the consistently super reviews that we get from both new and repeat guests, confirms to us that we are doing something which is valued and, as far as I am aware, we are now the only ones to be doing this is the North East. My Head Chef has been with us since 2006 and I really do feel sorry for him and his team having to read such an unkind review after all the time, money and hard work that goes into producing our food. Perhaps this contributor would like to come and, with my compliments, spend a day in our Kitchen doing our nationally acclaimed "Chef for the Day" experience - perhaps then his understanding of other levels of cooking might broaden. Tim Howard GM 21/4/14

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Having previously enjoyed a wonderful dining experience at Judges, we decided to book in for dinner and an overnight stay for our anniversary last weekend. Not disappointed!!!

Fantastic, top quality service in a beautiful hotel set in fabulous grounds! Everything about it from the impeccable, courteous, and friendly staff to the quality of the room was perfect. The only room available was a standard room, but it was anything but standard! Bright and airy rooms with large windows, luxurious furnishings, drapes and décor. Well stocked mini bar with snacks. Tea coffee making facilities. Extremely comfortable bed and a nice touch turn down service when we returned after dinner. Only negative was a very small bathroom, but it did not detract from the overall experience.

We enjoyed a stroll around the grounds after check in to find beautiful well tended gardens and a pretty little stream winding throughout. Well appointed garden benches to sit and enjoy particular viewpoints. Beautiful outdoor garden terrace well furnished with tables and chairs.

This stroll was followed by afternoon tea for two in the beautiful, well appointed and cosy lounge. The tea was delicious with a fabulous variety of sandwiches, cakes, pastries, coffee and tea. All of our needs were catered for and the staff were in constant attendance filling up the coffee and tea pots.

Overall this is a fabulous hotel that offers top quality service, serving top quality food in luxurious indoor and outdoor settings. Worth every penny!

Would definitely recommend if you are looking for quality and top notch service at a price you would expect to pay for such!

We shall return!

Dinner was excellent. Very well presented, nouveau cuisine style and every dish delicious and served promptly and efficiently by well dressed, polite. well mannered staff.

Room Tip: We had a standard room on the ground floor. It was superb. Really pleasant but not much of a view if...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank INTREPID357
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

What a super way to start the day! Thank you on behalf of us all for your kind words. Please do spread the word about us amongst your friends and we all look forward to welcoming you both back very soon. Kindest regards. Tim Howard, GM 16/04/14

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Loved this hotel. Much better than several appalling hotels we have used for Teesside. Loved the quaint room. Loved the teddy bear. Had dinner in the restaurant preceded by a lovely drink on the terrace in the evening summer sunshine. Good standard of cooking and short wobble back to the room. Promoted to right this review by appalling stay at another country house hotel. Well done it was a great stay.
Second stay yesterday. Just as good. Much appreciated by my global colleagues.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Having just returned from a week's holiday this was really super to read. Maybe I should go on holiday more often. But seriously, thank you, this really means a lot to us. We all hope to see you again soon and in the meantime please do tell your friends, as well as your colleagues, about us. (and by the way, what a fabulous hat!) Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 15/4/14

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirklevington
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Wynyard Hall
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#4 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge

Been to Judges Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!