“Greasy ! And charged for tray ??”

Drakes Fish and Chip Restaurant and Take Away
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food, British
Good for: Groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Greasy ! And charged for tray ??”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Felt hungry and called in for a quick take away . Ordered a fish cake and chips according to the menu £2.55 . I was charged £2.70 when I queried it I was told by the young assistant with a personality bypass that he had to charge me 15p for the tray it was in. Now this is a take away how else do I get them our of the shop I wasn't offered them wrapped in paper . I've never been charged for the tray or wrapper at any chippy in Britain . The portion of chips wasn't very big and the fish cake and chips were very greasy - never again !

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Rlowrie02

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Harrogate, North Yorks
“Perfect fish and chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Good old fashioned chippy. Does just the job when a fish supper is exactly what you fancy. Light crispy batte and tasty chips. Flexible opening hours too.

Visited September 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice atmosphere, visit when quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I ate here September 2013 with some people from work as it had been recommended to us as a great place to get Fish & Chips within the local area. We had a late lunch and so it wasn't overly busy (about 1/3 full).

The food was great and there were no complaints from any of us. We had a mix of different things from the menu and everyone agreed the food was very good and worth the money (it was actually cheaper than expected).

The atmosphere inside is very nice, with it being decorated in a classical sense. The restaurant as a whole looked clean and looked well kept, with no sign of dirty plates etc. Reading some of the reviews I do question if we were lucky in that regard as it wasn't too busy, however when we visited the restaurant was as expected.

Overall it was a great place to eat and the food/decoration made the trip worth it. I would happily eat here again and recommend it to friends.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank LifeInAHotel
Southport, United Kingdom
“REALLY GOOD TRY THIS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Had the jumbo haddock the fish had crispy batter and lovely chips,service was good and friendly will go back here again.well worth a try.

• Visited September 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Dirty, rushed, poor customer service-will not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Visited here with friends last Tuesday for lunch and felt compelled to write a review after the poor experience we had. We waited a little while to be seated-which was not a problem, but the tables around that were free were stacked high with dirty plates and food. Upon being seated (in the way it felt) we had waitresses rushing around us and audibly complaining about the high volume of customers (!) There appeared to be a senior/manager who was clearly complaining about the younger members of her team not taking orders correctly/clearing tables quickly enough. Whilst I appreciate this must be frustrating, it is not something I wish to hear when enjoying lunch. Overall the food was ok-but nothing special. Total lack of atmosphere and stressed/rude staff ruin the overall experience. Will not be back to this 'greasy spoon'!

• Visited August 2013