“Fab food, lovely atmosphere, the perfect country pub for lunch after a good walk...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #15 of 74 Restaurants in Knaresborough
Price range: US$4 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wetherby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have 9 month old twins, but love great food and often go out for lunch to various food-led country pubs. The Royal Oak has been by far the best we've come across in a while. Incredibly welcoming and accommodating, we were provided with great high chairs, warmed baby food and a nice table. This makes such a huge difference to our dining experience. The venison chilli was a treat and the steak sandwich simple and tasty. The cask selection was good, and the Premium lagers in spot on condition. What more can we say? We left with big smiles on our faces and the promise to return soon! Smashing pub.

• Visited March 2014

York, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely village pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I held my husbands 40th birthday here with 22 of us in total. The food was fantastic but the service was better, very individual and really exceeded my expectations with the small touches. They gave us a beautiful room and were so accommodating with us decorating it etc. they even had a birthday card for my husband.
I would highly recommend this pub for a special event but will also be going back as family of 4.

Visited February 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food, excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We went for a meal on Saturday night and had great food, great service and a generally lovely time. I'd definitely recommend a meal here.

• Visited February 2014
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great service, great atmosphere, food was amazing. Yorkshire puddings and gravy to die for. Defiantly be a regular destination for food

• Visited January 2014
Knutsford
“Disappointing after previous visit,understand now why it has dropped in the rankings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was our second visit to the Royal Oak and once again it was part of a celebratory weekend for a special family occasion. My first issue was experienced prior to our visit. Trying to book was very difficult. It took 3 phone calls to make the booking, with voice mails left after the first 2 calls went unanswered. Anyway, on the third occasion someone actually answered the phone and took my booking. They were disinterested when I enquired why my messages had not been responded to.

I explained that we had visited 7 months ago for my wife's 60th birthday, and that we were so delighted that we wanted to come again for my daughters 21st birthday. The chap taking the booking took all of these details.

We arrived and ordered drinks at the bar, and we were then shown to our table. Throughout the evening there was just one waitress who was pleasant enough, but lacked and rapport or warmth and had an air of disinterest. The quality of the food was good but the service was very mediocre and the waitress never displayed any sense of urgency so we had a situation where the first person in our party of eight was served several minutes before the last person.

Then for example, when waiting for condiments instead of the waitress going to get them immediately when asked when serving the mains, she would leave us, clear dishes from another table and then disappear into the kitchen to collect condiments. I saw this type of behaviour repeated several times by the waitress. On one occasion she served an adjacent tables steaks to them, then cleared our starters from us, before then bringing the adjacent tables chips, then she finished clearing our table, then returned with the remainder of the the adjacent tables main course. Whilst none of this is a major issue, it demonstrates what I believe to be a lack of costumer centricity.

The other disappointment was that despite us explaining why we were there when booking, there was no acknowledgement of this, not a balloon, a glass of fizz or even a cup cake with a candle or a happy birthday from anyone.

I guess my experience when trying to book and the fact this restaurant has slipped from the number 1 slot on Trip Advisor to number 3 should have been a warning. There are other places in the area to eat and my advice would be to try them.

• Visited January 2014