“Flies, flies and more flies.......”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #22 of 80 Restaurants in Knaresborough
Price range: US$4 - US$28
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have previously eaten here on a Sunday lunchtime and have previously been impressed by the food and service and based on this took two friends for an evening meal. First alarm bells rang when upon walking into the pub we found it empty.....on a weekend??? Food just OK, nothing to write home about but the real cause of concern were the swarms of flies in the restaurant, we were constantly attacked during our meal. The fly papers hung around the restaurant were disgusting; if there is a problem of this magnitude then surely better means of control should be sought. We live on a pig farm and don't have anything like this problem in our house. Then along came a large smelly dog wandering into the restaurant to beg and like the flies wouldn't go away until a very grumpy owner who gave us the filthiest look took him away. The waiters were more interested in chatting to the one or two locals at the bar then our needs. I'll think twice about returning.

1  Thank midge26
royal_oak_staveley, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear midge26,

Many thanks for your review. As per my response to the review below, the flies are and have been an issue for us for a number of weeks now. Nearly every property in the village is suffering the same problem, I am also aware that many other pubs/inns surrounding us are also having the same struggle!

Having tried many methods to get rid of them, we've found a good old flypaper works the best, yes they are unsightly but unfortunately they are what they are!

With regards to your views on our food & service, I would be very appreciative if you could take the time to call me on 01423 340267 so we could possibly discuss these issues further!

Many thanks and please accept my apologies!

Daniel - Owner

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We called in for a late Sunday lunch and were impressed by our roast sirloin beef and the children's portion slow cooled pork. They were beautifully tender with a good selection of well cooked vegetables and cracking yorkshire puds.

The service was timely and helpful but unfortunately all of the positives were wasted as they had a serious issue with flies - we should have noticed the fly paper before we sat down and ordered! They were obviously doing what they could to control them but it was a constant battle to waft them away from our food, so much so that we moved tables to try and improve the situation, to no avail.

Unfortunately we ended up eating our meal at record breaking pace and leaving without a pudding as it just wasn't a pleasant experience. This was a real shame as the food we had was great and I was really looking forward to a fruit crumble...

1  Thank dsj247

Hi djs247,

Many thanks for your review and your kind words about our food and service, very much appreciated, although I'm very sorry you didn't get to relax and enjoy your 'royal oak' experience!

With regards to the flies, i agree, horrible little things and they have been an ongoing issue for us the last few weeks due to the time of year, the weather and where we are located. Being surrounded by farms and being sat right on the edge of a Yorkshire wildlife trust nature reserve doesn't help to begin with! Unfortunately most property's in our village are also suffering with the same issue.

We have tried our hardest to rectify the matter having tried many things...

Fly spray, citronella candles at the pub doors & windows, fly papers, our local pest control chap has been a great help, basil plants, apples studded with cloves, we have been in touch with biologists and we have also had some great fun with an electric fly swatter!!! The list is endless!

I do hope it hasn't put you off our little pub, if you do decide to return, I will treat you to that fruit crumble you missed out on!

Apologies once again & best wishes,

Daniel - owner.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Last time had lunch on a Saturday meeting up with friends, this time returned for Sunday lunch for my birthday. I had beef which was perfect. Beautifully tender and tasty, well presented and accompanied by good roast potatoes, well cooked veg and superb Yorkshire pudding. My husband had the slow roasted pork and I sneaked a taste, it was very tasty and extremely tender. Probably the best roast dinner we've ever had. The dessert was wonderful, I had lemon posset with raspberries and meringues, served in a sweetie jar with layers of flavours with raspberry flavoured sugar crystals, fresh and dried raspberries, and micro basil, absolutely delicious. Husband had apple and sultana crumble which also was delicious. A lovely pub, friendly staff, wonderful food - great combination. Well done to them for attention to detail. Would love a cookery lesson in this kitchen, especially for Yorkshire pudding!

2  Thank Ann H
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My second visit as a family gathering for Sunday lunch and what can I say but WOW!!! This was just as good as the first time, if not better. The food is of Rosette standard, fantastic atmosphere, brilliant service and what started as a family gathering turned into an all afternoon affair. The time just rolls by. I'll be back again and again

Reviewed 23 March 2014

What can I say but awesome. Second time we have had Sunday lunch at the pub and it was brilliant again. Good service, great menu, well presented and tastes wonderful. The desserts are to die for.