“excellent break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Knaresborough
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“excellent break”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Hotel and room clean and welcoming. All the staff were very friendly efficient and polite.
The food served in the restaurant and the bar food was excellent quality, tasty and nicely presented. Only complaint was that lighting in guest room was too dim to read.
Had my dog with me and she was welcomed by the staff, not just tolerated, which was nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank David L
KenHardy, General Manager at Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear David L

Thank you for your kind comments, I have passed them onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Ken Hardy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I stayed at the Dower House recently and had a couple of issues with the room and also a meal which was served late. I wrote an e-mail regarding this on my return home and the following day, received an e-mail acknowledgement from the owner and the day after that, I received a full response to the issues I experienced in a very nice e-mail. All the issues were sorted out for me and I would like to say a big thank you to the owner for resolving my complaint in full. He has restored my faith in customer service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The staff at this hotel are lovely - if overworked - the spa is good, but the room was far too small for the price paid. For £100 paid in advance for b&b we got a very small room. No desk - just 2 shelves. No easy chairs - they would not have fitted in and it was a good job we only had a small overnight bag. The bedspread and cushions were shabby and the mattress was in need of replacement. We ate in the oddly named "Storm" restaurant - fare was OK for price paid. Breakfast was not good enough - cooked breakfast to order which is always good, but very limied choice on cold foods. I think the hotel could do with restyling - it doesn't know if it wants to be modern or old fashioned - and which era it is being styled for. Is the hotel subsidising the spa? It certianly feels like it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonDiT
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We had a wonderfully spacious room decorated in a modern contemporary style with flat screen TV and with tea and coffee restocked daily. Good service at reception and a good breakfast. Spa facilities were excellent and location was ideal for shops and restaurants. We would recommend and would return one day

1 Thank Gills639
Leeds
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We came on the Sunday Spa package, which was extremely good value including evening meal and full use of the spa, plus a 30 minute treatment. We enjoyed being pampered in the spa, which was available for use as soon as we arrived. We had different massages each and enjoyed the sauna, steam room, pool and jacuzzi. The spa staff were great, they really made you feel welcome and relaxed. Parking was not a problem at the hotel. The evening meal was beautifully presented, high quality food. The only thing I would suggest is that they should have some background music in the restaurant. There were only us 2 and another couple dining at the time, and it felt that we were eating in silence in a big empty room. Some music would create the right sort of atmosphere. The room was luxurious and we had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was tasty and there was a lot of choice. All the restaurant and reception staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Try the Sunday Spa Package!!!
1 Thank sarahcj
UK
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed for one night on our anniversary and got an absolute bargain so it was lovely...! However, as a seasoned traveller and ex-hospitality employee I can’t help but review this as if we had paid full price - in which case it was pretty bang average unfortunately :(

The rooms bathroom was dirty - more specifically the toilet. I will leave it there on details!! The room was pleasant enough however and the bed was comfy - it’s a shame the bedspread has stains on it as kind of ruins the appeal!!

The 'spa' was hmm....it could easily be amazing but it was full of kids, the pool is tiny, there are 3 pool side seats, 3?!! The steam room/ sauna area was nice but needed a jolly good clean and after being there 10mins I soon realised why - the staff showed people around in their outdoor shoes?!! No plastic coverings, just people stood there, fully clothed in boots/ shoes bringing in all the bacteria from outdoors into an area where people are bikini clad and barefoot?! That to me is quite unsanitary and could so easily be rectified by the bag shoe covers most spas use.

The breakfast was served by new staff who, bless them were not helped by the barking manageress, "HIYA, THIS GUY IS NEW SO HE IS GOING TO STAND BEHIND ME AND WATCH IF THATS OK?!"Queue everyone turning to stare at the noise!! They then messed up the order, left our plates for ages and the whole thing was a bit of a shambles in truth.

On the upside the hotel is superbly located and if you get a good price and want an overnight break then this is fine. I hope someone grabs this hotel and shakes it up as it has the makings to be superb. I think its just gotten a bit lazy....sorry :-/

West Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel as my friend was using it for her wedding reception.

First impressions - there were plenty of car parking places around the front and back of the hotel. The reception/entrance was lovely and we were greeted by a lady who was doubling as a receptionist and bar tender! Other staff were very scarce but we did bump into a few of the really helpful and friendly housekeeping staff and one lady in particular loved a chat and was very charming. She kept saying our wedding outfits were lovely and we looked nice - that's always a bonus!

We had previously rung to ask if we could check in early and our room was ready so we were very pleased about this.

On arrival at our room (Number 18) we were somewhat disappointed. It was dark even though we had 2 windows. The windows had horizonal blinds but only 1 could be opened. At night the blinds weren't very good at blocking out the street lights. Some light bulbs in our room didn't work. Our bathroom door had to be pushed really hard to close it and then we worried about getting out again. This was an issue when you are staying with a friend and have modesty to protect - I like to close the door when I'm in the bathroom! LOL.

We requested twin beds but they were a little too close for comfort. My bed had no life left in it. My mattress was very very bad, there were springs poking up into my back so I had to lay on a pillow to get any comfort.

The room was clean and the linen/towels were clean but everything was just old.

The furniture, light fittings and bathroom need ripping out and refurbishing. I didn't get a shower - I'm a bit fussy with these things - the grouting was blackened in places and around the bath but I'm sure there are worse bathrooms out there!

We had some rain during the afternoon and we noticed a damp patch on the wallpaper. It was very wet to feel and had water marked stains.

We were however very happy with the flat screen TV and the number of channels available, along with the free wifi and the tremendous amount of drinks supplies in the room. I also thought the complimentary toiletries were very generous and good quality.

Now about the wedding..... The reception room was set up beautifully. All colour co-ordinated and crisp linen/chair covers. The 3 course meal was very good quality and guests who arrived the night before said the food in the restaurant that they had was to die for - especially the salmon and the chicken. The staff really excelled here and everything went without a hitch. The food came out quickly and hot. The tables were cleared promptly and anything you asked for was no trouble for anyone. I'd like to give a special mention to Jonathan - a lovely pleasant young chap.

The Dower House is a fantastic venue for weddings and they certainly know what they are doing.

We had no issue with road noise or even noise from the disco downstairs. There were a few strange mechanical noise from downstairs though. I think we might have been above the kitchen/delivery area.

At break fast there was a choice of fresh fruit, cereals and croissants and then a choice from the hot breakfast menu. You could have almost anything you wanted. The food was cooked to order and was hot and tasty. There was stacks of toast, tea, coffee and fruit juice to help yourself to.

Check out was quick and friendly.

I will return but will ask for a more updated room next time - and one not at the front as some other reviewers say there is road noise.

Good location - near the town and attractions. 30 minute ride to Fountains Abbey.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room - not room 18
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dolce0606
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#14 of 30 in Harrogate
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate

Been to Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!