“A very charming Grade 11 listed Hotel”

Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Knaresborough
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Having read some of the reviews on this site, some good, some not so good. I decided to try it for myself, Knaresborough is a hidden gem with a great deal of history. The Dower House was a wonderful find, A Georgian Listed building of great character. Beautifully clean, fantastic restaurant with a lovely view of the garden, rooms were perfect particularly the bathroom and the furnishings! The Staff are an absolute wonder, cheerful friendly, professional and very helpful. (Even down to helping me with De-Icer for my car this morning due to it being a tad frosty outside! Had a great deal, two nights including bed, breakfast and 3 course evening meal for the first night for a £136.00 per room. Great value! The staff were brilliant. Its a quirky little hotel, lots of little nooks and crannies, a beautiful lounge area .with its original fireplace and Georgian front door, lovely little bar area, very nice restaurant. Good gardens and a great Spa!! I definitely recommend the Jacuzzi and pool, its small but perfectly formed and free to guests. Very relaxing. Its a short walk to the right to Mother Shiptons cave and gardens from there you can go to the Worlds End pub very nice and on down the side of the River and see some beautiful dwellings and amazing carvings in wood! Come back over cross the road another very pretty riverside walk, or along the river into this historic town. Lots of little cafes along the riverside and boats to hire for a picnic. I actually prefer Knaresborough to Harrogate it really lovely. All in all a great place to stay. Yes there are no stairs in this hotel, its Grade 11 listed but hey a little exercise is good! The staff will help if you need it. Dont expect chips!! the food is good without being too english!! I also recommend a wonderful restaurant up the High Street turn left out of the hotel cross at the crossing and walk up the bank Carriages is on the right a little further up. Its old quaint, quirky, a little bar in the centre with restaurant either side, the food is incredible and I would go again in a heartbeat. Would I go again to this hotel? The answer is simple, yes. The staff are fantastic the hotel lovely and the area historic. Well worth a visit!!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refubished rooms, the hotel is refurbishing all its rooms without any problems to...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank thebeard97
KenHardy, General Manager at Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear thebeard97

Thank you for your kind comments that I have passed to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

We were touring around looking for a new house in the area & came across this hotel by accident and we are so pleased we did. The staff are fantastic, so full of local knowledge, friendly and helpful, our room was recently refurbished and one of the best breakfasts you can hope to get, no swim suits for the pool, so good excuse to return. Dinner was also very good. We have offered on a house close by so hopefully this will be our local. Read past the negative reviews the staff put the "Best" into best western.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank ClSurrey

Dear ClSurrey

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, I have passed your comments on to all the team, positive comments always give us a real buzz.

Exciting times ahead with the big move, do pop in and see us again

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I booked a spa afternoon for my husband and I. I am seven months pregnant and was very much looking forward to the "mum-to-be" 60 minute massage. My husband is training for a half-marathon and needed a deep-tissue massage. When I called to book I made both intentions very clear, and asked for the strongest woman to massage my husband's knots.

My husband's massage was terrible. He basically had oil slathered all over him without actually working out any knots. Mine was even worse. Imagine doesn't do "mum-to-be" 60 minute massages, though they advertise it and allowed me to book it. They only do 30 minute massages with a 30 minute treatment (e.g. facial or pedicure). AND, it is a CHAIR massage! I sat in a chair while she rubbed my shoulders and back. I was expecting to lay on my side on the table while she massaged my lower back, legs and feet. It was incredibly disappointing. I would not recommend this spa to anyone.

2  Thank Calli24

Dear Calli24

I am sorry your experience was not as you or we had hoped for, we take such feedback very seriously indeed.

I know our Spa Manager has called and discussed your treatments and I do hope we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

We do genuinely care and receive so many great comments that it really concerns us when we disappoint.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 1 April 2013

not stayed there yet BUT why do people not say if there is a problem when staying at hotels before they settle into a room or having a meal, seems so unfair to put a review on after the event, give managers a chance to rectify thing first if your not happy,

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
KenHardy, General Manager at Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear jac33

Thank you for your post on Trip advisor, we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have stopped here numerous times and whereas the rooms have always been dated and the shower none existent only at best giving out a sad trickle, we have enjoyed our stays as the staff, food and communal areas have been of a high standard. However, on our last visit we had been offered " superior room no 31 " . The receptionist sold this room of high quality with beams and sleigh bed. On our arrival we were shown into a dark dimly lit room with mould on the walls and filthy carpet more suited to growing mushrooms We didn't, even bother to inspect the bathroom as we were immediately put off and asked to be moved. The receptionist was at best boarding on rude and gave us a recently decorated standard room which though a lot smaller and the shower still did not offer up any spray, was in a different league. It was fresh, clean and light. When asked about a reduction in room rate, again the receptionist was curt stating that we "had asked to be moved from the superior room and as the standard room was the only one available she would see if there was anything she could do" We replied that we didn't class room 31 as a superior room (we were being polite).
On check out no reduction was immediately given only on our request. In the past we have always found the staff in particular Jonathon and Ronaldo to be professional and nothing was too much trouble. On our return home we rang wanting to pre book for the Christmas festival and again encountered the same surly receptionist who quoted us approx £180 per night incl dinner with no reduction for pre booking athough on previous occasions were always given one. On this occasion we have found alternative accomodation

Room Tip: See the room first and ask for a refurbished one
8  Thank Steve S

Dear Steve S

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is through our guest’s comments that we can improve on our standards and level of service we provide. I do appreciate your time on the telephone and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

A very good value mini break.The hotel is on the edge of town within easy walking distance of the pretty market town and River Nidd.Our room was a very large dramatic room with exposed beams.It could have been fantastic and was only spoilt by a rather sad,tired bathroom.However the staff were quick to point out it was soon to be refurbished.The food especially breakfast was excellent with lots of choice.The spa,pool and gym were appreciated of a day out in the ccold ! All in all,highly recommended.

Room Tip: room 31 was great-saw no others
1  Thank Richard W
KenHardy, General Manager at Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Dear Richard W

Thank you for your kind comments that I have passed to the team, We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

This is a great little hotel on the edge of Knaresborough, close to the A1.

We did use our tesco vouchers, and not sure what we would end up with.

The rooms are exceptionally clean and well appointed. In fact all aspects of the hotel was first rate from the great friendly staff to the menu. We were able to relax in a very peaceful and quiet location, the bed was the most comfortable I have slept in at a hotel. Our room probably one of the newly refurbished but was to a very good standard.

Staff made a point of speaking to the guests which I found to be a nice personal touch. The only fault I had with the stay was that the free WI FI was not working and had to call the front desk to turn it on, a few moments later the young girl called me back to check all was working.

All in all, a very pleasant and welcoming hotel well worth staying in, we will certainly return and stay again. Thank you.

1  Thank J C
KenHardy, General Manager at Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear JC

Thank you for your kind comments, the team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your weekend with us in Knaresborough. We look forward to seeing you back with us here at hotel soon.

Ken Hardy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Crowne Plaza Harrogate
Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#14 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!