Spent two nights here on a romantic weekend for two - ie without the kids! The staff is the hotels outstanding asset, all staff were exceptionally friendly, friendly and courteous despite the same issues coming up again and again.
We checked into our room (5) about 1730 and found that the shower door had come of it's runners unfortunately they had no maintenance staff available but the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful trying to fix it but unfortunately made it worse! A little disappointed that we couldn't shower before going out for the evening (the hotel was full) the receptionist promised to sort something out for our return. On our return she gave us a choice of two rooms as their occupants had not checked in. To our great disappointment the next morning there was no hot water at all!!! We told the new receptionist at breakfast and apparently this is a regular occurrence but at soon as we told them they said they could turn the water back on. Ken, I have noticed you respond to comments - why not put a note in the bathrooms/info book to say that sometimes the boiler trips out, please inform reception if you have no hot water and it can be rectified immediately. I spent a great deal of time waiting for hot water to come through due to the lack of a shower the previous evening before giving up when I could have simply telephoned reception.
Secondly we were attracted to the hotel partly due to the free WIFI - this was very poor and as an independent tour guide rely on an internet connection for my business, A great deal of time was wasted trying to connect, I live in France so could not afford to incur significant roaming charges which I did as the WiFi in the hotel was so bad. To be fair the staff did reset the router several times but connection was intermittent at worst.
I suggest you turn down the heating as the hotel was seriously hot and the money saved could be invested in a new boiler and new internet connection.
Overall, the staff were excellent as they dealt professionally with reoccurring difficulties through no fault of their own, please address these issues otherwise you are in danger of losing your outstanding staff. For a Best Western I was very disappointed in the standard of the hotel. I appreciate you are undergoing an upgrade but in the meantime perhaps consider charging less for the rooms not yet renovated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dower House & Spa is as full of character as it is convenience, when you're not enjoying a good nights sleep, you can relax in our recently refurbished Imagine Health & Spa with a swim, treatment or work out. Award winning Storm Restaurant offers a seasonally changing menu and daily specials that you can enjoy overlooking the terrace gardens. You'll not only enjoy the sights and sounds of the traditional market town of Knaresborough, but also the opportunity to take in beautiful river walks and historical landmarks such as Mother Shiptons Cave and the Castle ruins. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Odigeo, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Dower Hotel
- Best Western Knaresborough
- Knaresborough Best Western
- Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa Knaresborough, Yorkshire