“Average Basic Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Knaresborough
dyke56
“Average Basic Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

I stayed in this Hotel while I visited Harrogate and it was ideally placed just outside the town. My room was a little basic and really hadn't been decorated for a few decades. However, the staff were friendly and I enjoyed using the Gym and Swimming Pool.
My impression of the hotel was affected by the fact that my stay coincided with the hotel hosting a large (and loud) party for 18 year olds. This meant that the hotel staff were busy trying to work out how to juggle this party while serving all other guests. This resulted in us being herded into an empty back room to et dinner. The couple I was travelling with were also unlucky enough to be placed in a room outside the front door of the hotel. This meant that they were kept up all night by the noise of the party guests. After negotiation, the hotel did take money off the price of the room to compensate for the noise and the fact that their en-suite toilet did not work.
In conclusion, I certainly wouldn't try to persuade people NOT to go to this hotel. It is a perfectly average hotel and you do get the benefit of a swimming pool! But don't expect luxury.

• Liked — Gym and Swimming Pool
  • Disliked — Room Decor and Noise from Party
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Midlands, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

My husband had stayed here in the past and we were looking for a one night stay and chose this hotel last week. From the outside and the reception area the hotel looks very charming. The room we had was average, although the bed was comfortable. The bathroom could have done with better lighting !
To eat in the restaurant in the evening the hotel has a strange ordering system. Normally, you would walk in to a restaurant, look at the menu and order. Not here! You have to sit in the bar, order when the waiting staff are ready, and you are only allowed in the restaurant when you are told. Several people asked if they could just sit in the restaurant to order and were emphatically told "no"! When we did get permission to go and eat, the food was good, although rather pretentionously served.
On arrival we were not asked if we would like help with our bags as there is no lift in the hotel. Whilst we sat in the bar, a guest walked through with a really heavy suitcase and tried to struggle up the stairs. My husband asked her if he could help her as it was obvious she was having great difficulty.
All in all, an average place for the price, but we wouldn't return for choice.

• Liked — Not much!
  • Disliked — Found the staff rather unfriendly.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank CarolineMidlands
Cardiff
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

Booked a three-nights stay from 10th November 2008. At the time of writing, I am still at this hotel and will check out the next morning. I never had such a burning desire wanting to write something about a hotel i stay. I am usally quite easy going but this hotel really disappoints me.

First, the room: I stayed in Room 15, a double bed room. Relatively small size, holes on the toilet walls, and no table in the room but a two decks on the walks serving as a table holding coffee and tea tray. The bed is really horrible, I can even feel the wires beneath the sheet which hurt my back badly. The worst is that I can hear the guests next to my room showering loudly and pee...The wall is too thin built.

Second, the restaurant is the worst I have met ever. Dinners serves at 7pm, and i waited another 20 minutes to get a table, and another 15 minutes to get my starter, and 25 minutes to get my main course and 10 minutes to get desserts. Overall, I starts my dinner at 7 and finish the three courses at 8h45. The dishes are poorly prepared and cooked. They really should fire the chef. Same poor quality to breakfast. Very very annoying.

There is only one positive thing about the hotel: you can get wireless internet connection for free. But I guess many other hotels do this too.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank xfp
Sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2008

We have just returned from the Dower House Hotel after we had booked the two day special offer which included ,dinner & breakfast. We wanted to have a relaxing weekend,a romantic break in the beautiful market Town of Knaresborough.

We were quite happy with the facilities of the health centre and enjoyed the sauna and jacuzzi.The room was on the small side and bizzarely had holes in the side of the bed not a problem seeing that the lounge seemed a nice place to sit and the bar was cosy.

The Restaurant let the hotel down & dont be fooled by all the stars and awards.The food was boring and bland and the veg seemed to be microwaved and raw....the waitress rushed us and our food appeared straight away. Iit took 45 mins to eat a three course meal, wine and coffee. A mild complaint but when you are spending and being tricked into £80 a meal or £120 per night who is fooling who which seems such a shame for a 3 star hotel.

Hey Ho thats rip off britain for you........

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ang578
Millom, Cumbria, UK.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed here after a wedding and was impressed for the most part.

On arrival the staff were professional, and we managed to get into our room earlier than requested, which was much appreciated. Much to my surprise we were put in a 'room' at the back of the Hotel, which was actually a small house in a garden area. It was just a room with small entrance and bathroom, but it was very nice, and I'd say it would be perfect for someone looking for something a bit more romantic (it was Room 33 by the way if you want to ask for it).

Due to time constraints I didn't see any other parts of the hotel, but all seemed good.

The only letdown was a rather sad breakfast, which I'd have been unhappy with if I'd been looking for something solid.

• Liked — Being put in a special 'house' of our own.
  • Disliked — The breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2008

Finally feel clean after staying at this place - had a shower as soon as I got home. We had quite an interesting room with beams etc, but the bathroom was grim, horrid vinyl flooring, and dirty shower curtain which had a habit of clinging to your body. There was also a lingering smell in the room - couldn't quite place it but I think "foisty" is a good description. The pool was out of order, which we didn't discover until we got to the leisure complex, nobody had bothered to tell us when we checked in. We asked for a discount which was refused. This annoyed me as it was the only reason we chose this hotel over other nearby ones.

The food in the restaurant was ok, although the service was bizarre. Nobody seemed to know any answers to any questions, e.g can we choose any wine from the wine list on a DBB package. "I'll go check" - but never told us! There were three couples and three waiting staff but still we had to specifically ask, "can we have some drinks please", and our starter arrived even before they had taken our drinks order.

Strange place, needs urgent overhaul, would not stay again.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jetheather
Worcestershire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

We paid £100 for B and B in this hotel but it was very disappointing and certainly not worth the money. The room was very small , unappealing and with venetian blinds at the window which did not work properly. The bed was small and the bathroom had seen much better times eg. old fittings, mould stains around the bath and old drill holes still in view. The bedroom desperately needed a makeover and I have stayed in much bigger, more homely rooms for a good deal less than £100. It has to be said that the Reception lady was excellent and the overall service in the Restaurant was very good. Our evening meal was worth the money that we paid but the breakfast was again disappointing - as if they were cutting down on portions and with a poor buffet selection. All in all, the hotel is in a pleasant location, the staff are very helpful but to be charged £100 for B and B is a rip off.

• Liked — Staff friendliness and good service
  • Disliked — Overpriced and with very disappointing accommodation
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canoldir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Rudding Park Hotel
Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Hotel du Vin and Bistro
#10 of 31 in Harrogate
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,032 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Dower House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!