“Fantastic wedding”

Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Knaresborough
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Hi my husband and I got married at the Dower House recently. Several family and friends from all over the country travelled to Knaresborough in North Yorkshire to see myself and my husband tie the knot on the 24 July. We had a really fantastic day, the hotel staff and the manager Melissa really could not have done enough to help make it a special day. We had the ceremony and wedding breakfast in the Terrace room which overlooks the garden and later had a BBQ reception. The food was excellent throughout the day and the planning and organisation by the hotel ensured that everything went to plan and myself and my husband could get on and enjoy our day. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an intimate venue for their wedding in a beautiful market town.

• Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed 13 August 2009

Hi, just back from a five day stay at the Dowerhouse Hotel.

Myself, my husband and my two kids (7 and 3) had a lovely time. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The breakfast we had was delicious - a wide variety to choose from. The staff were very friendly and helpful from suggesting places to eat to places to visit. The pool area is not very big however the kids had a great time playing around in the pool. The leisure facilities consist of a pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and gym.

We did not have a main meal at the hotel so I cant comment on this.

We were made feel very welcome at all times and would definately return. My kids really want to see Sheila again (one of the staff).

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My first time in a UK hotel for many years, I'd forgotten what a doleful experience it can be. Perhaps I'm being unkind. The wedding parties on each of the two days I stayed (I didn't know people got married on a Sunday) seemed to be having a good time, but much of the service was geared toward ensuring this was so, at the expense of us non-wedding guests. However, staff did their best in the circumstances and I've no criticism except that perhaps more staff should be hired during the wedding season.

Anyway, the room (18) was small, cramped and the bathroom miniscule. The was no mini-bar; the bedside tissue box contained a solitary tissue perkily arranged to mask an empty box, and I couldn't get the TV to work. I hate those hook-less hangers that need connecting into a ring inserted into the rail. The sure sign of a hotel that assumes their guests are hanger rustlers. The room was clean, if a bit tired. The bed was comfortable with nice crisp linen, but I don't need or want linen and towels wastefully changed every day. With no 'do not disturb' sign, nor anyone from housekeeping in evidence, there was no other choice.

Breakfast was freshly cooked and the 'Full English' excellent. The solitary and inadequate kipper fillet of my first morning more than compensated the next day. Note that breakfast finishes at 09h30 on weekdays, no doubt to make sure guests are up and check-out on time.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mangolust
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We spent a night here four years ago and said we would return one day. Managed to get an excellent deal of 3 course dinner bed and breakfast in a superiour room for £90 so wnet ahead and booked. Was alittle concerned when I checked recent reviews bit thought was worth giving it a go still. Not disappointed! Our room was very large, nicely deorated though nothing special and spotlessly clean. Bed was large and comfortable. We could not fault the friendly service from check in to check out. The three course menu of the day had about 8 choices for each course and was delicious. Was served by lovely staff who were friendly and polite with just enough gap between courses. Knaresborough is a lovely town with a great walk by the river and we hope to return again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2009

My wife and I stayed here on Valentine's night of 2009. To say we were dissappointed would be an understatement. The rooms are OK - nothing special, but comfortable enough. It was the restaurant that we had the major issues with. Service was terrible and I ordered steak and had to send it back twice, as it was over-cooked both times - I ordered it medium rare and it was well-done both times. My wife ordered pasta that was so bland and tasteless that we could not even tell what it was supposed to taste of. We basically left after this and ended up eating a chinese takeaway in our room on Valentine's night!

Granted, the hotel did not charge us for the meal (after we complained about what had happened), but it still ruined the night for us.

Extremely dissappointed by the whole experience and will never come here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tonitone
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We have just returned from a three night New Year break at the Dower House in Knaresborough. We were a little worried after reading the revews and have to agree that the bathroom is in need of some refurbishment (we were told that this is planned over the next few months).

However, this was totally over-ridden by the fantastic, friendly service from the staff and the quality of the food. The staff remembered our names, were very well organised and we enjoyed staying in a "family" atmosphere.

The meals were of top quality with a very good menu to select from. We could not fault it. One of our group cannot have wheat in her food. Once this was mentioned, the chef provided special non-wheat bread, toast, cakes, sandwiches etc. as part of her breakfast, afternoon tea or dinner - all without being asked again. This was fantastic as she usually misses out on some parts of her meal. This is the sort of service that made our New Year break very special, we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Four of my girlfriends and I stayed at the Dower House for two nights, we come from the four corners of england to catch up on old times. We require both space to talk and space to enjoy ourselves this is hard to find in the same hotel. I had already made a few requests when I rang up with the booking but as ever the usual ' we cant guarentee it ' was offered.

All I can say is everything was as requested, rooms close to each other, we had a lovely meal in the restaurant even my friend with the strawberry allergy was accomodated. we even had a disco the following night due to a party event and considering the number of people attending we all felt part of it the staff made our visit very memorable, enjoyable and comfortable.

Its wonderful to go a hotel that has not had the history ripped out of it with its slanted door ways, its hidden corners and its fantastic setting, if the weather had been better we would have spent time in its wonderful garden. So much more thought provoking than those mass produced chain hotels.

Bravo, keep it up

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Crowne Plaza Harrogate
#2 of 28 in Harrogate
Cairn Hotel
Cairn Hotel
#11 of 28 in Harrogate

Been to Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!