“Friday evening dinner”

Price range: US$16 - US$47
Cuisines: American, European, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Becket's is a contemporary restaurant situated in the heart of the historic market town of Knaresborough in North Yorkshire.Offering an eclectic and varied menu in relaxed surroundings, all of our dishes are freshly prepared to order, using only the best quality locally sourced produce.
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a Friday evening and had to change due to traffic issues, not a problem at all for them. A lovely presented place with a good menu and good staff. We had three courses each with wine and there was absolutely nothing to fault. A couple of pointers, the scallops were small and even four of them wasn't great value (hey ho, that's the cost of them I'm afraid) and my crumble wasn't well presented ... a tiny point!!!! There had bern some comment about the owner, our view was the atmosphere dropped when he finished for the night. A great place that Knaresborough should cherish and I wish them well.

1  Thank Kevin F
There are newer reviews for Becket's Restaurant & Grill

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Beckets - fantastic food, fantastic atmosphere and warm friendly owners & staff. Have been on a few special occasions and would highly recommend Beckets to anyone who wants a sophisticated meal with family and friends.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Becket's is a very pleasant restaurant in the middle of Knaresborough. It's in a nice old building that has been stylishly decorated so first impressions were good. The waiter was friendly and welcoming and gave us plenty of time to ponder the menu while we awaited the arrival of our friends who finally put in an appearance around 15 minutes late.

The lunch menu offers great value at £8.95 for two courses or £11.95 for three. Everything we tried among the four of us was very well presented and very good quality. I particularly enjoyed the smoked salmon starter and my friend was equally impressed with his sticky chicken. The choice isn't massive as you'd expect on such a deal but is just about wide enough to ensure there is something for everyone (including vegetarians who may wish to note that the nut Wellington was pretty good too).

Why only three stars? Well the busier the restaurant got, the worse the service became. We were on our way somewhere and had to leave at 215pm. We ordered dessert & coffee at 145pm, thinking that would allow plenty of time. 20 minutes later we had to give up and leave with our third course nowhere to be seen. Such a shame as the puddings sounded very good. One extra member of staff would have probably made the difference and ensured a four or even five star review. Maybe we caught them on an off day.

3  Thank eddymaya
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I booked this restaurant on the advise of others on Tripadvisor and the fact that it's rated as number one in Knaresborough. We were welcomed and shown to our seats by a very friendly member of staff and drink orders were taken and brought quite swiftly. We ordered a selection of starters and mains from the set lunch menu (just £8.95 for two courses or £11.95 for three) and when our starters arrived I have to admit they were most tasty. Our main courses followed after quite some time however, the restaurant did get quite busy after our arrival so I'm assuming a lot of orders went into the kitchen around the same time therefore causing a backlog. When our mains did arrive, again the food could not be faulted but I was slightly underwhelmed with the portion sizes as were my fellow diners. Had I known this was going to the case I would have welcomed the suggestion of additional side orders from the waiter, or alternatively, add the side orders to the plate and increase the cost of the set menu by another pound or so. An opportunity to up-sell on this occasion was sadly missed.

I also felt the cost of drinks were quite steep especially when the meal costs were quite low. Our bill for four two course meals (@ £8.95 each), one small brandy, two glasses of merlot, one glass of white and a coke came to some £62 and a couple of pence. Maybe this could be looked into and some special offers placed on the drinks menu too?

Overall... A nice restaurant, friendly staff, good food with excellent presentation. I feel I would enjoy the experience more if the above pointers were taken onboard..

2  Thank Karen1568
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Saturday lunchtime, 1.30 about 20 people in. WHY isnt it heaving! Lucky for us as there was a slight problem somewhere and service whilst superb was somewhat stretched but professionally coped with.
As for the food WOW unbelievable value at £8.95 for 2 courses. Superbly cooked, great presentation, taste and service.
Beats anything in Harrogate by miles Praise well deserved. Will return.
HATE THE BENCH SEAT THOUGH.