“Food good, experience average. Don't eat downstairs!”
Review of Becket's Restaurant & Grill - CLOSED

Becket's Restaurant & Grill
Price range: US$16 - US$47
Cuisines: American, European, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Becket's is a contemporary restaurant situated in the heart of the historic market town of Knaresborough in North Yorkshire.Offering an eclectic and varied menu in relaxed surroundings, all of our dishes are freshly prepared to order, using only the best quality locally sourced produce.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We dined in the downstairs dining room here in October with another couple. I would not dine downstairs here again simply because it is directly in line with the road across the bottom of the Market Place, and the room was frequently filled with the glare of headlights which I found extremely uncomfortable..

The food service was good, but not especially attentive. In particular the drinks service was slow.

The food itself was actually good, but the service and environment detracted enough that the overall experience was distinctly average - it definitely didn't live up to its reputation, and I can't describe it as especially good value.

The business appears to have closed and to be for sale. That's a shame, because the issues we had - apart from the car headlights - could easily have been addressed, and many others clearly loved the place.

1  Thank Philip K

Reviewed 19 March 2014

There is now a sign that says "Business for Sale", such a shame as we never had a bad meal there and it was on a par with many of the more expensive dining venues in the Harrogate area.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

So sad to hear such an excellent restaurant has closed, on each occasion we have eaten at Beckets we have been amazed at the superb food and friendly service. Great loss to our area to have lost such a high standard restaurant.

1  Thank Molly261
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I felt compelled to respond to the previous review. I have left two genuine reviews of Becket's in the past that reflected the excellent food and service we enjoyed there. To suggest that this restaurant has been forced to close due to unpopularity is unfair, and insinuating that bogus reviews were left is both ridiculous and malicious. The sad truth is that Knaresborough locals need to use what is on their doorstep. No matter how excellent a restaurant is, money needs to be coming in and unfortunately it seems the current economy has not allowed people (myself included) to visit as often as they would have liked. I will greatly miss this restaurant as it was, however I do look forward to it reopening with new owners and would like to thank the original owners for bringing us a beautiful restaurant - I wish them the best of luck.
PS I do not work for Becket's or socialise with anybody who works there (;

2  Thank Princess_990
Steve P, Owner at Becket's Restaurant & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

The review you refer to has been removed byTrip Advisor, and quite rightly too, due to it's malicious and slanderous nature.However thank you very much for your kind words and the support you gave to Becket's, and also to everyone who dined with us, and to the many many people who have communicated with us to lend their support and best wishes...........it really means a lot.
We put 100% into Becket's and anyone who remembers what the restaurant was like before we took over, can appreciate the hard work, and indeed the large investment put into the total refurbishment of the building.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your comments, as have others on our Facebook page, with regards the supporting of local businesses.......a sad indictment indeed.
Once again; thank you to all those individuals that supported us in the past and who have sent best wishes. Greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a Friday evening and had to change due to traffic issues, not a problem at all for them. A lovely presented place with a good menu and good staff. We had three courses each with wine and there was absolutely nothing to fault. A couple of pointers, the scallops were small and even four of them wasn't great value (hey ho, that's the cost of them I'm afraid) and my crumble wasn't well presented ... a tiny point!!!! There had bern some comment about the owner, our view was the atmosphere dropped when he finished for the night. A great place that Knaresborough should cherish and I wish them well.

1  Thank Kevin F