“Nice ice cream, shame about service/presentation”
Review of Hallies - CLOSED

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Hallies Bar and Grill benefits from a unique location in the glass covered atrium of Knaresborough's Castle Courtyard shopping centre. The restaurant is located on the first floor and consists of three dining areas that are decorated with soft colours, complemented by splashes of bright colour, giving a relaxed and cheerful mediterranean ambience The main dining area, with accommodation for up to thirty diners, has windows overlooking the atrium.
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous Italian ice cream n good coffee... But i really don't get this place. It seems to be given three names with three typefaces. Is it an icream parlour? Or a general cafe? If the latter, why is there no icecream on the menu?
I went to sit with a nice coffee and ice cream (a perfect combo) but the ice cream was either served in a cone or a paper tub with a tiny plastic spoon. Enviro-concious i went for the cone but the eating experience you get from a glass coupe of ice cream with the right spoon was missed. Disappointing when i thought i was visiting an ice cream parlour. And would it hurt to offer a sundae?
Also, altjough i do appreciate that the price reflects the quality of the ice cream, if i'm going to pay these prices you could come to take my order rather than making it a counter service.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I visited this cafe with my young daughter and friends. Firstly, a young girl was running the cafe and she didn't have a clue! I went to the counter to order and she said she didn't have the right change so she'd bring it over to the table.

Ten minutes later a young boy arrived at the table with some change but it was significantly less than it should have been. I told him how much I was owed and he looked confused but went back inside to ask the girl. She then came outside to our table and tried to explain that she had given me the correct amount. However she had not and I worked this out with her. She then went back into the cafe somewhat disgruntled and brought out the correct amount.

I don't think she was trying to keep the change I think she was just too inexperienced to be running a cafe alone.

When the food finally arrived I was already a little annoyed at her manner and I was furious when she brought out a bowl of hot soup on a tray and balanced It on one hand over my young daughters head who was sat in her highchair.

When I asked her to move it away she said 'don't worry, it won't fall off' I was alarmed!

The food was nice but the service appalling! Very disappointing.

1  Thank Anna R
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Called here after visit to Knaresborough for a walk round the market, when it started to rain, we needed somewhere to keep dry and treat our grandson to some ice cream. Location looked ok, with seating in the covered arcade courtyard, the cafe and outside area was nice and clean, only one other table occupied, so no problem getting a seat, the only problem as far as I was concerned, was the cost of one small tub with a single scoop of ice cream and an ordinary white coffee, you know, spoonful of coffee, add boiling water then a drop of milk, £4.20, come on now, this is not the way to intice customers. Will not rush back here, there are plenty of other cafe's in the town.

CarolinaB887, Owner at Hallies, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit.
A couple of points I would like to make , I'm not sure where you are used to going for your coffee but the days of a teaspoon of coffee in a cup with boiling water and a dash of milk is a thing of the past. The coffee you received was a good quality fresh coffee from Coffee Care in Skipton, ground when ordered and then put the quality barista machine to produce your cup of fresh coffee. The icecream you ordered was 100gm of Authentic Italian Gelato imported from Italy. Not some cheap supermarket brand. Your coffee and icecream were served to your table by a waitress and you had the pleasure of sitting in our glass covered courtyard while enjoying your quality purchase. Our coffee is considerably cheaper than the main stream coffee outlets but our rents and rates are the same. Our icecream prices are equal if not cheaper than other icecream parlours who sell quality icecream.
Maybe next time you decide to write a review about some where you have viisited, you should take a good look around first and see what you are actually getting for your £4.20.
Carolina Bonney Owner

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Called in for a lunchtime snack and was presently surprised at the friendly welcome and good quality food. We had a sausage bap and paninis with ham and cheese. The paninis were very good value being served with salad, coleslaw, potato salad and crisps. Bonney’s is very clean with a good menu and great selection of ice creams.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were served quickly, the orders were most attractively presented, with a healthy tone about them. I would recommend Bonney's to anyone. It is very centrally situated in the Market Place in the arcade where the helpful Information Bureau is. Enjoy a meal - in relative quiet.

1  Thank springbuck-kwa