“Enjoyable meal”

Dower House Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 74 Restaurants in Knaresborough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Decor/layout of Dining Room unimaginative (rectangular room with tables round edges!). However, menu had good choices and changed daily. Portion sizes were ample and 3 courses for £21 great value, given the quality and standard of cuisine.

Visited January 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A lovely place for a special occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Have visited this establishment several times over the last 30 years. The standard has varied from average to excellent. A great place to take a loved one. When we first found the Dower House, it was not part of a chain, and I must admit, we preferred it then. The food is still good value for money and the service good, but you feel " part of the chain " !

Visited November 2012
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“A night to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

After just reading the poor review someone has given the Dower House I felt I must write about our lovely evening there in August.
It was our 25 th wedding anniversary and we booked a table for 16 of us. It was a set price menu. £19.95 for 3 courses and I have to say the food and the service were brilliant.
We booked with our taste card so all the food was half price. It was amazing value.

Probably not the place I would choose for a romantic meal for 2 but fab for family get togethers and groups. You can book Sunday lunches with your taste card as well. well worth a try.

• Visited August 2012
yorkshire
“Mixed experience badly handled and left with very bad taste”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Having moved to the area we tried the hotel for lunch. Had a very nice beef sandwich, club sandwich and home made onion rings. We were impressed and looked forward to trying the restaurant for an evening meal. It was my husband's birthday and some friends wanted to treat him to a meal out so we persuaded them to drive out from Leeds to The Dower House. The evening did not start well when I bit into a hard piece of plastic in my salad starter. This did not seem to be taken seriously and was pretty much dismissed with a shrug. For my main course I had requested calves liver off the menu but asked for it to be served with saute potatoes instead of the new potatoes it was supposed to come with (I really dislike new potatoes). One of my friends also ordered the same. My husband and our other friend ordered chicken with fondant potatoe. I can't actually remember whether it said on the menu fondant potatoe or potatoes but it actually came with one fondant potatoe about an inch and a half in diameter. They did ask for more and a n other each arrived but was inedible as it was either still frozen or still hard in the middle. However, the main problems were with the liver dishes. The so called saute potatoes were actually new potatoes cut up into small pieces with some onions. They had not been sauteed at all, or if they had then the oil in the pan was not hot. They were greasy, hard and had no colour on them at all. I politely asked if they could be returned to be cooked a little more, as did my friend. At this point the calves liver was nice, however, I know enough about cooking to ask the waiter to make sure that the calves liver was not simply kept on or under a hot plate whilst the potatoes were cooked because it would then be ruined. We waited a considerable time and no food was brought back. We had to ask about three times what was happening. In the end our food came back but, of course, my husband and other friend had already finished their meals by then. When my meal came back, as I had feared, the liver was ruined and the potatoes actually looked exactly the same. It was at this point that we felt "chef" was not really a chef as no proper chef would have served these as "saute potatoes" and we asked if we could have a word with him. (Maybe he could have given us some reasonable explanation as to his thinking). Anyway he refused to come and speak to us. By this point the evening had been totally ruined, my food went back untouched, my friend did eat his but only because he was very hungry and admitted it was not very nice. I have a cow's milk allergy and found it difficult to find anything else on the menu that I wanted to eat and was actually so upset by this time that I ended up not bothering to eat at all. The duty manager was very apologetic and handled things as best she could but I feel the true problems came from the kitchen and they did not handle things well at all. However, what has really put me off returning to this place and would certainly stop me recommending it to anybody was the attitude of the manager when I called the next day. I felt his attitude was bullying and aggressive towards me from the start. He took great pains to point out to me that he had received excellent reports from other people about the food in the restaurant the night before (although there was hardly anybody else in there when we were there). He even told me that one lady had really enjoyed her meal and she had exactly the same as me. I found this quite strange as the meal I had was not actually on the menu, however her evening was spoilt by the poeple complaining on the next table. Maybe this lady does not mind the possibility of choking on pieces of hard plastic in her salad and eating undercooked potatoes and over cooked calves liver and felt we were wrong to point these things out!!!! I explained to the manager that we were so disappointed as we had previously had a very nice lunch and he invited us back to try another evening meal and assured me he would make sure the "head chef" was on duty when we came. I asked him if this would be as his guest. He then got even more indignant and pointed out that we had been given discount the night before to compenstate for the problems. As the night before was a treat from our friends I did not see the actual bill but so far as I am concerned if a restaurant wants me to give it another go after an absolute disaster like this one then I expect them to be confidant enough in their product and foresighted enough to realise that they could redeem themselves on one meal and then have a happy customer who will return time and again. Clearly this manager did not have that confidence and therefore I would not be prepared to gamble on a return and would most definitely not recommend it to anybody. It is a shame as this would have been such a useful place for us to frequent location wise.

3 Thank pelhams