“Rude staff and no update that they're not actually a Mexican anymore...!”
Review of Hallies - CLOSED

Price range: US$11 - US$28
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hallies Bar and Grill benefits from a unique location in the glass covered atrium of Knaresborough's Castle Courtyard shopping centre. The restaurant is located on the first floor and consists of three dining areas that are decorated with soft colours, complemented by splashes of bright colour, giving a relaxed and cheerful mediterranean ambience The main dining area, with accommodation for up to thirty diners, has windows overlooking the atrium.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Myself and a friend were looking forward to a meal out on Saturday night and both fancied a Mexican meal. After looking at the web, we found a nice website for an 'Authentic Mexican Restaurant' in the heart of Knaresborough. We had a good read of the menu and rang the number on the website to book a table. Arrived in plenty of time on the Saturday and followed the website directions to the restaurant. Upon arrival we were a bit confused and thought we had the wrong place as we could only find a place called 'Hallies Bar & Grill' that served steak, chips etc. Upon asking the waitress/manager she told us they had changed the whole restaurant 6 weeks before and no longer did Mexican. When I mentioned that we rang up to book and no one told us it had changed she didn't apologise and seemed disinterested! We subsequently cancelled our reservation and managed to get a table at the lovely Salsa Posada in Harrogate! Definitely won't going back to 'Hallies' and maybe you should let people know when they ring up that you've changed to save them a journey. Also.. your website needs updating and your old Mexican menu needs taking offline as this is misleading.

5  Thank GStockers
CarolinaB887, Owner at Hallies, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry you were disappointed following your visit last Saturday. When making your booking the telephone was answered as Hallies Bar & Grill.
Jayne who dealt with you explained to you we still did some Mexican food and apparently you were offered a menu to look at. I apologise if you found her manner rude this is most unusual, you were clearly disappointed at not finding us totally Mexican and did not want to try the Mexican food we had on offer. It is a pity you didn’t read the trip adviser reviews from customers old and new referring to the change. However to prevent this happening to anyone else I have now closed the trip adviser listing. The new website is currently under construction and hopefully will be competed soon. I am happy at least that you managed to get a table at Salsa Posada and you night was not completely spoilt.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Perfect place to stop for an ice cream before exploring the rest of the town. So impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the quality of service. Ice cream was amazing too!
Will definitely pop back if we come to Knaresborough again.

1  Thank HjustH
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Visited after reading reviews on here. We were not disappointed. We had a lovely meal with our 2 year old son. Staff very friendly, the meal was excellent very generous portions, food delicious and fresh and really reasonably priced. It is situated in a lovely covered courtyard so has that outdoor feeling no matter what the weather and just a generally lovely atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited here on a Saturday night for a 'quick tea’. I did think it was the Hallieva Mexicana when we booked, however they have recently changed to a bar and grill (still with some Mexican dishes on the menu). Firstly we ordered our drinks and we were told the first drink was on the house if we were eating! Service was great and the staff were very attentive, the owner even came out and chatted to us for a bit which was a nice touch.

When it came to meal choices, I decided I would stick to a Mexican dish (Spicy Chicken Fajitas), having heard good things and my finaceé also chose from the Mexican menu (Beef Chilli). When the food came out they were both delicious! I would definitely recommend both of these dishes if you like Mexican food. We then came to ordering dessert and we opted for banoffee tart with Italian ice cream. We decided to share the tart as the owner had mentioned they were quite big. The ice cream was amazing and tasted like the ice cream you get in Italy. Even if you are not eating in the restaurant then I would recommend stopping off at the café in the market place where the ice cream is made. I believe they also sell a selection of cakes here too!

Overall the whole meal was BRILLIANT! I would definitely recommend eating here and I think we may have even found our new favourite restaurant! We will be back soon :)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

A real gem of a find. Fantastic mojitos, delicious food and friendly, knowledgeable staff....

Food was extremely fresh and tasty, bursting with flavour and the menu is simple but loads of choice.

We will be back to visit soon!