“An Off Day?”

Old Royal Oak
Ranked #47 of 78 Restaurants in Knaresborough
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Having read the previous reviews we really wondered if we were in the right place. We were very disappointed in the quality of the service and standard of food. There was a catalogue of disappointments. The bar had no bottled water, sparking or still. The coffee machine had broken down. The barman didn't know what soup was on offer and when it arrived it totally lacked flavour and any evidence of salt. Our sandwiches and salad turned out to be a roll with a slice of ham, a discoloured piece of pineapple, a leaf of lettuce and slice of tomato. Overdone chips arrived five minutes before our soup and sandwiches.
The toilets too could have been a lot cleaner.

Altogether our visit certainly didn't live up to expectation based on previous reviews

2  Thank Putharjhora

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My family and I visited the Old Royal Oak for lunch on Saturday. We were made to feel very welcome by the very bubbly and friendly barmaid. Wide choice of meals on the menu and specials board. Our order was quickly served - portions were large, good honest food (real chips!!) and very good value for money. On down side - room was not very well lit and decor a bit gloomy. Disappointed that could not have a bar tab and apparently do not serve children's meals!! Why?!? However, still worth a visit.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had eaten here last year (Sunday lunch) which was very good. Called again on Saturday afternoon the pub was busy but managed to find a table. The menu is traditional pub grub with half a dozen specials on the blackboard, I went for the giant Yorkshire with roast beef and husband chose the fish pie both came with 3 veg and potatoes.The food was very tasty and hot,tried my best to finish my meal but I was beat (very big portions). We ordered tea for 2 and I have never seen a teapot as big! Think we could have got 7cups each out of it.
The staff are very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Royal Oak offers traditional pub food at a reasonable price and a warm friendly welcome from efficient staff who serve you with a genuine smile and in a cheerful manner.
Four of us had lunch, two had good quality sirloin steaks, one battered haddock and I had roast beef. The beef was tasty and tender and plenty of it. The chips, mashed potato, roast potatoes, and vegetables were typical pub food and presented nicely.
My friend remarked on the condition of the beer saying it was a really nice pint and the house wine from the pump was very drinkable and reasonably priced.
If you are looking for a hearty meal and good value then this is the place to go.

1  Thank RenaultCamper
Reviewed 13 August 2013

A lovely old inn in a perfect position.

Great atmosphere, great food, great staff. What else could you want?