“Fantastic!!!!”
Review of Watergate Haven

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knaresborough
Watergate Haven
Ranked #14 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2009

This is a great place to stay in Knaresborough. I have been to stay there twicw this year with my boys.
The rooms were really good. The boys had the jungle room and they loved it.
Waking up to a cooked breakfast and choice of cereal and drinks is fantastic.

I have no idea why people have written bad reviews. The place is great and homely.

Thank you for our stays.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank craftymCrystalPalace
Reviewed 10 March 2009

This "BB" should not hold a license, the place has a general air of neglect and wear, the impression being that of an old nursing home, rather than a pleasant place to stay. The driveway was almost impossible to park the car in. Our rooms were icy cold, the radiators could not be turned up from thier luke warm position due to the rusted valves. We were given fan heaters one of which didn't work and the other which was so noisy we could use it. We reported this and the same heaters were returned, my sisters failed within the first five mins. and ours continued with its worrying racket. The beds in the double room were in fact "Put you ups" covered in towelling fitted sheets which were so rough they took of our first layer of skin. My daughter sensibly chose the floor. The rusting shower (we wouldn't of dreamed of using it) dripped all night, again rusted worn fittings meant we could not turn it off. We were turned out of the only warm room in the place and told to use the residents lounge, after sometime we located this obviously long forgotten, unwelcoming ice box.. We complained the following morning of our discomfort and were met with what appeared to be complete disbelief. The stay was expensive costing £79 for a room for myself and my 12yr old daughter. My sister paid £59 for her stay. This needs investigation by the Tourist Board

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank queeneth
Reviewed 10 February 2007

We stayed in the self-catering apartments, however the state we found them in was somewhat of a letdown.

We had to spend the first half-hour vacuuming the carpets and sofas to remove white dog hairs, and also clean the bath before we could bathe our 8 month-old baby. There were other, albeit minor, problems: The towel warmer in the bathroom was not working - I tried to turn it on, but the valve knob was worn and so it just kept turning. This meant the bathroom was chilly in the morning; there was a running tap in one of the bathrooms which couldn't be switched off; fluorescent tubes needed replacing - the one in the kitchen was flickering, and one of the bathroom ones was missing; one of the shower heads needed de-scaling to improve the water flow. These were all simple, basic, maintenance jobs that should have been fixed prior to our arrival.

I reported these problems to the proprieter when we were leaving, and followed this up with an email. The reply I received said that I should have reported these problems at the onset of our stay, rather than wait until we were checking-out. Whilst this is a good course of action for problems that arise during a stay, these problems existed prior to us arriving. There was simply no point in complaining at the start of our stay; if these problems couldn’t be identified and remedied before we arrived, I felt there was little chance of them being fixed during our short, two night break.

I do not expect to have to report pre-existing problems. The onus should be on the proprietors/management to inspect/maintain their properties to ensure that there are no problems to report, rather than relying on their guests to do this job for them when they arrive.

I did notify the Yorkshire Tourist Board of our experience. Needless to say, we will not be returning to or recommending Watergate Haven. However, I hope this review will, in some way, help other people from having a disappointing time there.

Stayed: April 2006