“First class”

Ranked #4 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Wellingborough
“First class”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My room was very large and generously appointed, including a mini-bar. There was a huge choice of food at breakfast, both on the cold buffet which included home-made preserves, and also the freshly prepared hot meals.
Being right in the town centre, the location is excellent. Several pubs and restaurants in easy walking distance.
There is a decent private car park, though some care is needed due to the narrow entrance.
All in all, surprisingly good for its price range.

Room Tip: If road noise is likely to worry you, ask for a room at the back or in the old stable block.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Not_so_Old_Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed at the Newton House for one night and really enjoyed it. The room at the back of the hotel was enormous and was stocked with everything you could want (DAB radio, flat screen TV, cotton wool in a pot in the bathroom, beer and wine in the mini bar), the breakfast was wonderful (with the tastiest home made marmalade and a lovely vegy breakfast with some really tasty mushrooms) . Easy to find from the A1 and very short walk to the town centre, parking at the back. Just a shame I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed for two nights arrived late on Thursday and was pleased there was still somebody to show us to our room. Big bedroom , big bed and big tv, a lovely room. Breakfast was awesome and the ladies were more than happy to add a few bits to the breakfast ( fried bread , a treat for me) . Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed at the Newton House for one night and really enjoyed our stay. The staff where friendly and attentive, the room we had was enormous and very well equipped (DAB radio, big flat screen TV Leffe(!) in the mini bar), the breakfast was fantastic (other comments mention the home made jam and granola - honestly it's amazing). There's parking at the back, it's dead easy to find from the A1 and Knaresborough is a lovely place to wander round. It's a shame we could not stay for longer, but we hope to be back.

UK
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I don't know if this is the best B&B in Knaresborough because its the only one we have stayed in but we had a great room at the back booked midweek 2 nights at £75 per night. Room had all you could wish for including DAB radio. Breakfast menu extensive included smoked salmon with scrambled eggs plus home-made jam and marmalade. Great location although I could imagine room at front would be noisy. We requested a room at the rear after reading some of the reviews. I would stay here again if in the area.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2011

When I phoned to make a booking we were lucky to get a cancellation (Harrogate flower show on!). Owner asked me to call back as she was out and about and needed to check. Did that and yes there was a room as she had a cancellation.
However on the Saturday (the day we were staying), we were at the Flower Show and mid afternoon received a TEXT message from the owner saying she had double booked as there wasn't a room!! She had taken it upon herself to arrange a room at the B&B opposite which was not to the same standard of room we were looking for.
I was extremely dissapointed that the owner did not see fit to ring and actually admit her mistake to us and offer us as alternative option rather then booking it. I found this very rude and not the sort of service I expect.
We actually managed to get a room at the Best Western in Harrogate and got a fantastic last minute deal.
This was a rare last minute weekend away without our children and I cannot stress enough how dissapointed I was that the owner only saw fit to text rather than phone.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsBrady868
, Owner at Newton House, responded to this review, 25 September 2011
I am shocked to receive this review from people who have not even stayed at Newton House. I admit the double booking was my fault (the first one in 8 years of running B&Bs) and I did my best to find the Brady’s alternative accommodation as soon as I knew I had a problem. It was the Harrogate Flower Show weekend and, after making several phone calls and checking on-line, it appeared the whole of Knaresborough and Harrogate was full. I was very grateful to the neighbouring B&B for helping us out by releasing a room that they were keeping for a 2-night stay. The reason I sent a text message to the Brady’s was because I know mobile phone reception at the Yorkshire Showground is very poor and that a message would stand a better chance of being received (I sometimes volunteer at the Flower Show myself so do know this from personal experience), and I wanted to advise them of the situation as soon as I could. Admittedly I did mean to follow up the text later with a phone call to check that the Brady’s were OK but, as I didn’t hear anything from them, I assumed everything was alright. I honestly did my best to find them somewhere to stay, rather than them turning up and finding we hadn’t got a room for them. I obviously failed – but do not think this warrants such a ‘poor’ review as they cannot comment on any other aspect of a stay that didn’t happen.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We first stayed at The Newton House over ten years ago and had been back several times ( under previous managements). It was good then but it's even better now. The rooms have been refurbished since our last stay to an equally high standard. Breakfast was superb - try Denise's home-made granola! We had a very relaxing couple of days stay - ok the parking is tight and we knew that from previous experience but we didn't take the car out during our stay as we took the train into York. We'll be back.

2 Thank annieb456
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
#7 of 15 in Knaresborough
Goldsborough Hall
Goldsborough Hall
#1 of 15 in Knaresborough

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!