“unbelievable misleading review”
Review of Newton House

Newton House
Ranked #4 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Having stayed at the Newton House on several occasions I did so again on the 2/3.8.13 and once again it proved to be superb. Denise was her entertaining self and continuing to promote old fashioned standards. All the multitude of staff are excellent and helpful. I was very surprised when drinking in the village that all the locals knew she served the best breakfast in the town and probably Yorkshire and in fact the hotel was locally regarded as the best. Trip Advisor it is bad judgement on your part to even include such a malicious and misleading comment and whilst you may feel you are obliged to, you must surely be allowed some common sense and at least check the circumstances. Regards Stephen Hayes

Room Tip: I stayed in the large best room No1 at £115. There are smaller and cheaper rooms I travelled on to D...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen H
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you for your review and appreciative comments which mean a lot. Especially after the Taidentity review with the rating of ‘1’ from people who never stayed at Newton House. I have personally complained to TripAdvisor several times now and they will not take the review off the site, even though it is misleading, malicious and untrue. And very hurtful to be called ‘sneaky and unethical’ when I have done nothing that is not normal, accepted practice in the UK. When I expressed my concerns about our Ranking, I was told by a TripAdvisor representative that, because we had so many good reviews, and because of the way their algorythms work, this particular review would not affect our Ranking. Sadly, I was given misinformation and our ranking has now slipped from no2, to no3. I am very upset by this as I feel I am being victimised not just by Taidentity, but also by TripAdvisor themselves. A great shame as I have always been a supporter of their website. I hope TripAdvisor will read this response and reconsider their decision. Taidentity booked through Booking.com – and are not eligible to place a review on their website as they did not stay at Newton House. TripAdvisor should follow Booking.com’s lead.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have stayed at Newton House recently on a business trip and found it to be of the very highest standard.
Denise and her staff were very welcoming and the room was of a good size and very clean.
The breakfast menu offered an excellent choice of food and it was cooked and presented to a high standard.
I would recommend Newton House to anybody visiting the area and I will most certainly be staying there any time I am visiting the area.
Overall a first class experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013

PLEASE DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THAT REVIEW. My family and I have stayed at Newton House several times now and the owner Denise has never been anything other than friendly and helpful. The rooms, the breakfast and the staff are all excellent.
Last year we had a member of our party cancel at the last minute. Luckily, Denise was able to re-let the room and we were not charged. She had made us fully aware that this would be the case, and I am positive she would have advised the same on this occasion. It seems only fair that a B & B owner charges when there is a late cancellation, as they will have relied on the funds from the booking. As far as I'm aware, this is standard industry practice. The two days notice given by taidentity is not very much at all but Denise did manage to relet, so they were not charged - where's the problem? As 'taidentity' booked via Booking.com then it is surely obvious that they would have have to cancel via them as well.
No-one from my family has ever complained about the size of the beds -the only comments have only ever been about how comfortable they are, and whether they could take one home! The reference to 'tiny' beds is incorrect and totally unfair. To title the review 'bed too small for two people' is wrong, misleading and unethical - they wouldn't know as they never even tried the bed!!
If Trip Advisor won't remove the review then they should at least make the review be retitled as it is clearly factually incorrect.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights whilst I was in Yorkshire on a course. We had a large room at the front of the hotel which was clean and spacious, even with the huge comfortable king size bed! Denise was very friendly and welcoming and gave lots of information about the town. Breakfast was delicious and kept us going for the whole day. Knaresborough is a pretty town with riverside walks and lots of bars and restaurants. If you're visiting this area, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Newton House Hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights to chill out and were not disappointed. Knaresborough is a great town and I can't think there'd be any better place to stay than Newton House.

Denise and the staff were very welcoming and gave us plenty of information about the area, including a comprehensive run through the local pubs and eateries.

The room we had was extremely comfortable, well appointed and spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was superb!!!

The car park was very busy but we were able to park for a very small fee in the town car park only a short walk down the road.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I've stayed at Newton House several times. It's always been excellent - rooms, service and a brilliant breakfast. The review by 'taidentity' is extremely misleading: this person did NOT stay there. He/she DID get a refund once the room was re-let (at only 2 days' notice). And the only 'Helpful' vote for their review is their own vote!

Surely travellers to Europe should know that 4ft 6ins is the standard double bed size? I have checked the Booking.com site they used, and it DOES offer Superior rooms, bigger, with bigger beds. Unfair that lack of care in choosing accommodation to suit their needs should victimise a B&B owner that regularly gets a top 5 rating. The 1 Rating given is totally inappropriate. TripAdvisor should remove it from their usually very reliable site.

Room Tip: Leave plenty of time to enjoy the superb breakfast!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank EnglishAssessor
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for your comments on the 'taidentity' review which sums up the situation really well. Just one small correction - they didn't have a refund as they were never charged . . .

Reviewed 28 July 2013

With the hotel contacting us to ask for a different credit card number, saying that they don't take American Express, we provided a Visa credit card number. While on the phone, we found out that the bed would be only 4'6"! We said that wouldn't work for us. (We are two adults.) She said that was the only room available. We said that then we will need to cancel and find another hotel. She said that we would have to cancel through Booking.com. We called Booking.com, who then called the hotel to ask them to cancel our reservation. The hotel (same lady) told Booking.com that she would only cancel our reservation if someone else books the room. Otherwise, she would be charging our credit card for the full 2 nights. So, even though we've cancelled two days before the reservation, immediately after finding out about the tiny bed (which is hidden on the web page), this hotel intends to charge us for the full reservation. Sneaky and unethical in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank taidentity
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

It is really sad that these American visitors did not appreciate that in England a Standard room would have a 4ft 6in bed. As they only gave 2 days notice of their cancellation, I was pleased I didn't have to charge them a late cancellation fee as I was able to relet the room. Over 50% of our double rooms (our Superior rooms) do have extra large (6ft) beds, but unfortunately we were unable to offer the Warmans an alternative as we were fully booked. I wish the Warmans a lovely holiday in the UK, but to avoid disappointment in the future, I would advise them to make sure they check the bed size before booking any more accommodation.

Our many satisfied guests will be as shocked as I have been at receiving a rating of '1' from people who have never even stayed at Newton House - and who have not been charged a penny for their late cancellation. I trust TripAdvisor will leave our rating at '5', which is a true reflection of the standards and quality at Newton House, and given by people who have stayed with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in Knaresborough
Kirkgate House
Kirkgate House
#3 of 15 in Knaresborough

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!