“Fantastic Stay”
Review of Newton House

Newton House
Ranked #4 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip, what a fantastic change to the "usual" accommodation I'm placed in. Had a lovely welcome on arrival, nothing was too much trouble for Denise, my room was a perfect size and perfect for relaxing in after a long days work. Also enjoyed the guest lounge where I could wind down with a drink from the mini bar and reasonably priced. Breakfast was delicious, my only complaint was the bed was so comfy I didn't want to get out of it in the morning. Noticed they also have dog friendly rooms outside in the court yard so have planned a return trip with my partner and our dog in a few weeks time. I real find. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thanks so much for the lovely review - nice to be appreciated! Look forward to seeing you next month with your partner and Bertie the Westie - hope the sun shines.

There are newer reviews for Newton House

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We arrived to Newton House by complete accident quite late in the evening almost exactly two years ago, after a long drive and looking for any decent place to stay in Knaresborough. We were almost ready to give up, get back into the car and continue driving when we decided to knock on this last door. What we found was an incredible little bed and breakfast with a wonderful, friendly owner, excellent, a large and comfortable, very clean room and bathroom (shower) and an exquisite breakfast in the morning. Cozy, delicious, attentive and just generally great was our stay. So much so that every time we go galavanting around the globe we try to find a place to stay as inviting as the Newton House!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for such a lovely review - I really appreciate it. After the previous negative review, It has restored my faith in human nature. I do hope we will see you at Newton House again some time. Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Staying at this b&b for our visit to Harrogate flower show and must say it is excellent. Had a really nice check-in by Denise the owner who was informative about the local area and very welcoming. We are in room one and it is very large and comfortable. Better than we expected, lot’s of little extra things, Denise seems to have thought of everything we could possibly need. You don’t often get a free car park in the middle of town and we’ve just used the honesty bar, so nice to be trusted. Some people commenting negatively about this b&b must have been staying on another planet. Thank you Denise, will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your nice review - and support. It means a lot after the negative comments of the previous reviewer. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - and will look forward to seeing you for Harrogate Spring Flower next year (23-26 April 2015), or perhaps for this year's Autumn Flower Show (12-14 September 2014) - we have a couple of rooms left.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Recently stayed at the Newton House as I have started working in the area indefinitely and looking for somewhere to stay 3-4 nights per week, week in - week out for the foreseeable future. The B&B itself it quite easy to find, just on the main street in Knaresborough, the car park is quite easy to miss though and is very tight for most cars larger than a Ford Focus. The car park only has room for half a dozen vehicles as well, so worth bearing in mind.

Entrance to the B&B is via a rear door in the carpark, which you get a key for after hours access.
Check in was relatively quick, but as I travel mostly for business, I do prefer to get my key and get to my room, however, the land lady (Denise) at the B&B prefers to offer a more ‘attentive’ service and insists on showing people around the building and to your room and then being with you in your room sorting a map and highlighting all local facilities etc… on it … and to be honest, as a business traveller, and after a day at work and a long car journey this 40 to 60 minute session could quite happily be done without.

The room I was given, was apparently one of the best in the place (room 1), it was nice and large and overlooked the main street, and a set of traffic lights, which was quite noisy later into the evenings unfortunately. The sofa had seen better days and had little padding left in it but thankfully there was an abundance of cushions on the bed to place on it and be able to use it. I booked a specific room type for a king bed, and this was unfortunately 2 singles pushed together (a massive pet hate of mine, especially when requesting something specific, and paying for it also) with a mattress topper to try and disguise the join. The bathroom was ok, some cracked floor tiles and the shower pipe needed replacing as the chrome effect plastic had come away and no longer covered the whole pipe anymore. Other than that the room had dark wood fixtures (wardrobes and dresser) and a mini fridge stocked from the honesty bar, but no in-room price list curiously, so I guess pot-luck on pricing on check-out!

I did not experience breakfast as unfortunately the whole property had the ‘food’ smell when I woke each day, and for me its not the greatest or most professional to turn up for work/at a clients reeking of food, so passed on this both days.

There is an honesty bar that you are expected to use, I did not and chose to go elsewhere. The property only serves breakfast, no other meals.

Check out was easy and painless.

If you don’t mind an overly personal touch and wasting time on information that would either be nice to discover yourself, or not need as you are there for business only, go for it, otherwise give it a pass.

Room Tip: Not really sure, as I booked a Superior King, and got 2singles connected with a mattress topper to d...
4  Thank alorotom

I am so sorry that you did not find Newton House to your liking and could find nothing positive to say in your review.

There was no intention to waste your time on check-in – I was only trying to be helpful and to offer excellent customer service.

As you are well-travelled, you will no doubt have come across zip-linked beds before. They are specially manufactured and there is no intention to try and hide it here. They are for flexibility of demand and surely better than a small single bed? All our beds have special back-care mattresses and our guests generally find them very comfortable, especially with the thick padded comforters that we also provide.

Many of our guests appreciate our honesty bar (and the mini-bars) which give them the option to have a drink without having to go out.

Although Newton House is inspected annually by the AA and has 4 Gold stars we are not a full service hotel but a small 12-bedroomed guest house so perhaps we are not the right type of accommodation for your expectations. Denise.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at Newton house in February for 1 night. We stayed in the room on the main road. It was clean, warm and cosy. The ensuite was clean, modern and the shower was of very good standard ( I'm a shower snob, I can't stand a drippy and inefficient shower). The bed wasn't the most comfiest I've ever stayed in but we both slept well. The room was on the main road but it wasn't particularly noisy the extra shutters in the room made if even quieter. There was a wide selection of different teas and coffees and lovely biscuits. The next morning we went into the main part for breakfast, the staff worked extremely hard and were very attentive. You had a choice of a buffet breakfast of cereals, fruits, yoghurts and granola and fruit juice. I had granola and it was absolutely delicious with a fruit purée over it. I could have eaten a bucket full!! We both had a full English and there was no denying high standard of local produce. I'm a big believer in using you local farms to help local economy and so is Denise, the whole breakfast was scrummy. I'd return just for the breakfasts if nothing else. Thank you Denise for your beautiful b&b, it's a credit to you. I would definitely stay in Newton house again, and highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room on main road, it was fine for us but if your a light sleeper maybe ask for a r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shus339

Thank you so much for the nice review - and so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Newton House. I was especially pleased to read your comments about our breakfasts - we do try really hard to serve only the 'best' and to accommodate different tastes and dietary requirements.

I also just wanted to say that, since your stay in February, your room has been refurbished and it also has a new bed with a special Backcare mattress (as do all our rooms now).

Will look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just spent 2 nights over the Easter holiday at Newton House in Knaresborough.
On arrival at the guest house we where met by the landlady, but as we got there for 13.30 and not 15.00 as requested on their website, we didn't get a warm welcome and was told to return later.
We left the car and popped into town for a bit and returned at 15.30. Although the landlady was very officiant not very warm and welcoming. The room was huge and cosy with "The Biggest Bed We Have Ever Seen" with our own separate bath room. Very promising we though, until we tried to fill it and the hot water ran out half way through! Plus even though the bathroom is big while sitting on the toilet your legs where under the sink?
We had room 5 in the front of the house, which looked over the Main Street. The noise from the cars was very load until around 23.00! Lots of boy racers in small cars with big exhausts.
Slept very well though as the bed was very comfy.
Breakfast was 10/10 couldn't fault it at all.
Slight contradiction as the guest book strongly advises against putting any negative comments on trip adviser, how ever on the checking out desk there is a notice saying "if you have had a good stay please leave a comment on trip adviser" obviously only good comments welcome!
Definitely will return to knaresborough but in a different B&B.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the house would be less noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We take all reviews seriously and try to improve things that can be improved. On the day you arrived a key member of the housekeeping team had not turned up for work due to a serious family illness and we were under a lot of time pressure to prepare the rooms to our normal high standard by 3pm check-in - there was no intention to be unwelcoming.

The request, in our guest information folder, to let us know about any problems is not intended to stop comments being put on TripAdvisor but is so that we can correct any problems at the time (the wording will be changed to more accurately reflect this so thank you for pointing this out).

I’m pleased you slept well, despite being on the main road side of the house – we do try to make our beds as comfortable as possible and have recently upgraded our bed-linen. It is normally fairly quiet by c10.30pm - Easter must have brought out the car enthusiasts!

The bathroom layout is determined by the limitations of the plumbing in a Grade II listed building. I am, however, concerned about your problems with the hot water (but what a shame you chose not to tell us at the time when we could have checked it for you straight away). There is an independent hot water supply to this room and I was worried that the timer might have been faulty. I did test it after receiving your review and am pleased to report that it is fine.

I’m really pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, thank you. The TripAdvisor notice in reception is supplied by TripAdvisor themselves but, as I said earlier, it is better that we rectify problems when they occur.

I hope you will try us again on your next stay in Knaresborough.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Attended a conference in nearby Harrogate, but was looking for more reasonable accommodation. Could not have been more pleased! Very comfortable rooms, well appointed baths, excellent breakfast, and cordial and helpful staff. Will definitely stay there again when I am in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in Knaresborough
Teardrop Cottage
Teardrop Cottage
#2 of 15 in Knaresborough

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!