“lovely building and even better breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Newton House

Newton House
Ranked #4 of 16 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“lovely building and even better breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here following a family celebration; all 4 rooms were comfortable and spotlessly clean. The house is a Georgian building and there is such a sense of history it is very easy to imagine how it may have been in years gone by. The guests sitting room with an honesty bar and selection of games was enjoyed at the end of the night and also in the morning to finish our breakfast coffee's.
The delicious breakfast really does deserve a special mention as the range of choice and standard of cooking was up there with some of the best hotels we have stayed in.
Knaresborough is a super little town to wander around in and I can recommend the Blind Jack Pub which is a quirky little pub serving good beer and pleasant service. The restaurant Carriages is also very good and serves delicious Tapa's and fine wines.
My only criticism is the early finish of breakfast as 9.00am on a weekday when you have a rare chance of a weekday lie in is a tad early.

Room Tip: For light sleepers I would recommend asking for a room at the back as even though we had shutters an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Newton Poppleford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

A pamperred 'Jenny Russell' pooch review - 5 star welcome! 5 star accomodation! My owners told me they slept very well in a lovely comfy bed and had the most delicious breakfast. I can personally recommend the sausages and the homemade doggy treats. There was even a pooch sitting service if my owner's wanted to go out for the evening. Plenty of lovely places to dine in Knaresborough some places are happy for me to visit too. From one happy pooch, I can honestly say this hotel is one to come back to. I was made to feel very welcome. My owner's were very happy too. Although we only stayed for one night the service and attention to detail in every aspect, was the same as if we were staying longer. The room/bathroom was spotlessly clean - right down to no pooch hairs from the previous occupants. Decor and furnishings were home from home. The hosts were very kind and made us all feel very welcome. We all will be coming back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

What a wonderful find. Denise made the 3 of us and Snoopy our old Border Collie so welcome. Lovely room furnished to the highest standard. The home-made dog biscuits in the room were a lovely touch. I would highly recommend Newton House and knaresborough. Lovely town, lots of dog friendly eating places, fantastic walks, very friendly people.
Denise's breakfasts are amazing, one of our party needs dairy free and Denise had everything from dairy free organic spread to almond milk.
We enjoyed it so much that we stayed an extra night. A lovely 30th birthday weekend for my daughter who is at York St John's University. Will definitely be coming again.
Thanks to Denise and her lovely staff.

Room Tip: Stay here for a relaxing time, and enjoy the leisurely pace of Newton House.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carohen123
grimsby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I would recommend Newton house to anybody looking for comfort, cleanliness and relaxation. Originally, we booked for 2 nights but during our stay, we decided to stay an extra night. We stayed in room number 5, this was the superior double - and it was! A very spacious room throughout and clean to a high standard. It contained everything we needed plus more. Breakfast was amazing with a vast selection on the menu. Denise and her staff where so welcoming and had time to stop and chat with us. If we where to visit Knaresborough again in the future, we would definitely stay at Newton house. 5 stars from me

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Very nice rooms, tastefully decorated. The beds were SO large and comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean. Breakfast was superb. Great location too. Everyone in our party had a great time and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Our stay was an Easter break for three nights and was our first visit to Knaresborough. On arrival we were greeted by Denise who made us feel welcome and showed us to our room. Whilst there is a car park it is very small and was full so we unloaded our luggage and I moved the car to a public pay and display car park about 300 yards from the hotel.
The room we were in was lovely and spacious, plenty of room to hang clothes and the bathroom was beautifully finished and stocked with shower gel. A fridge was supplied full of drinks, both soft and alcoholic. There lots of lighting and the bed was covered with cushions making the whole space feel luxurious.
We didn't make use of the communal lounge but it also had a bar. Breakfasts were simply scrumptious. A whole array of fruit mixes, compotes, home-made preserved fruits, granolas and seed mixes, fruit juices, toast, tea, coffee and a comprehensive cooked menu meant that we were totally spoilt for choice.
We would go back again, especially in the room we stayed in. Thanks Denise for a thoroughly relaxing stay that allowed us to just be us with no other pressures.

Room Tip: We only saw the one room which was at the front of the building facing the road but Knaresborough is...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicosia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was staying at Newton as part of my phase in relocating from Cyprus to North Yorkshire. After a long flight and a very early arrival with my cat Mr Donut we were over the moon to walk into our room which was to be our home for the next 2 weeks. It had a wonderful cottage feel, tastefully decorating with a fantastic size bathroom and a HUGE bed. It was perfect. Over the 2 weeks I chose different things from the breakfast menu to try. Each one did not disappoint. The full english and the undyed smoked haddock were a favourite though along with the homemade granola - I could eat that by the bucket oh and the aga baked plums with cinnamon. I have been so comfortable in this time in this room that I have been very sad to leave and my apartment seems to be lacking after staying at Newton who have been extremely accommodating especially as they accepted Mr Donut as a guest. Had the room had a kitchen I wouldn't have left.
Mr Donut would like to say - thank you for my stay. I have enjoyed watching people come and go from the my window next to the car park and watching the birds on the bid feeder. All the staff were friendly and stopped to say hello. I felt safe and happy at Newton and would love to stay again. I can only add that I wish my human had brought me some of the english breakfast or fish as she came back stuffed from breakfast everyday.

Also Knaresbrough is a lovely place with some great places to eat and to walk. Newton is close to all amenities and getting around with or without a car is easy.

Room Tip: I stayed in the old stable block
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
BEST WESTERN Dower House Hotel & Spa
#7 of 16 in Knaresborough
Goldsborough Hall
Goldsborough Hall
#1 of 16 in Knaresborough

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!