“The rudest welcome I have ever experienced.”
Review of Newton House

and 1 more site!
Newton House
Ranked #4 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The rudest welcome I have ever experienced.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Having looked forward to staying here since booking a few months ago I am upset that I have had a negative experience. To be 'greeted' by the hotel owner telling you off and shouting that she has not had her breakfast because they are busy and have to clean rooms was an unpleasant shock. (We arrived before check-in but had made it clear we were not expecting to check-in early and just wanted to leave the car and use the restroom).

Although my room was clean and breakfast was pleasant there was no going back such was the encounter. An apology goes a long way! I work hard and a weekend staying in a hotel is a treat. Although we enjoyed the rest of the weekend and our stay, unfortunately my over-riding memory of Knaresborough was this meeting.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Ruth G
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Oh dear – you obviously caught me at a very bad time when Newton House was closed. It is unusual for us to have every room checking out on a Saturday morning and I was under a lot of pressure to get 12 bedrooms ready for new guests checking in that afternoon. I’m sorry if you think I was rude – I certainly did not intend to be.

Newton House is a 4 gold star guest house – it is not a hotel with 24-hr a day reception facilities. We do offer the facility of an early check in (free of charge) as long as we are given prior notification (and we did ask you to let us know if you would like this).

I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and liked your room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Sale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have stayed in multiple hotels / guest houses / B&Bs around the world and the manner in which I was spoken to upon arrival at Newton House was by far the rudest I have ever received. The owner of the place appeared to have take issue at the fact that I had not replied to an e mail asking what time I intended to arrive to check in. I since have checked my emails / junk folder / deleted e mails and definitely did not receive any such e mail.

I had received a text message earlier in the day stating that the room would not be ready until 3pm. I had promptly replied stating that this was absolutely fine.

Upon arrival in the car park at 1pm, I wanted to use the toilet and then return after 3pm to check in.

I was confronted by an aggressive lady (the owner) who told me off several times about the fact I had not replied to her e mail. I was shocked and perplexed by this misplaced aggression and complete rudeness.

This completely soured the rest of my stay in Knaresborough and am keen to warn other potential guests about this. Other people have done the same on this website; so if you are reading this - you have been warned.

Take your well earned money and stay somewhere else where you will get a "warm welcome" rather than someone who cannot cope with her own job and takes it out on her guests.

(I'm sure this will generate a generic response from the owner about in a "he said, she said" / "you can't please everyone fashion" but this is the first review I have ever written as I have never experience such rude customer service in my life).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank thebeautifulnorth
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this review, 28 October 2014
As I have already explained to your friend, ‘Ruth G’, Newton House was closed when you arrived at 12.15pm, and we (myself and my staff) were under a lot pressure to get all our rooms serviced to our normal high standards by our check-in time of 3pm.

I’m sorry if I seemed abrupt, and on this occasion I hold my hands up – I was having a bad day. I like everything to be perfect for my guests on their arrival, and do my best to accommodate their wishes regarding check in. But as your early arrival was unexpected, your three rooms were not ready, and so I fell short of the normal high standards we have at Newton House. I’m sorry you had a bad experience – but please be assured, this is not how I normally welcome my guests.

Denise
Felton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed for one night and were made to feel very welcome. Slightly quirky but very nicely decorated room, the facilities were fine for us but if you were on the large side you would find our bathroom a bit of a squeeze. However the breakfast is something else, probably on of the best hotel breakfasts.I have ever had (and that includes 5* London hotels). Would definitely recommend and we look forward to a return visit. Interesting Georgian house and nice entrance 'fernery' added to the appeal.

Room Tip: If you are a 'larger' person ask not to have the downstairs bedroom on the main street (No...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for one night. The owner is very helpful, breakfasts are fabulous, staff are very attentive and approachable. I paid for a superior room which was a bit smaller than I imagined but it was very very clean and comfy. We stayed in room 5 which overlooks the road, traffic was passing but with the windows open it did not bother us. She had even put large electric fans in the rooms as it was so warm.
We arrived early and was able to park our car there and return later. Denise showed us the walkways and gave us a map.
The bathroom was very nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stopped over for two days to break up the travelling. Me and my dog Lola were made to feel very welcome. The room which was just across the courtyard was very spacious and the bed VERY comfy!! It was also very clean. Breakfast was much appreciated and the staff were very helpful especially when I was wondering where I could go that allowed dogs. Enjoyed my stay and would come back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I must first thank Denise and staff for a wonderful stay!!! You have such a nice place, pleas keep up the good work. We stayed for 5 nights in June/July as part of a 3 week trip around Scotland and Northern England. We had two rooms between the 3 of us, my partner and my room had been renovated and was very nice. Our traveling companion was in a room that hadn't been refreshed, but was still a very nice room. Please keep the four poster beds, Denise!!! All the amenities in the rooms were just fine. We liked that the windows opened, nice refreshing breeze even on a warmer day. A bit loud sometimes at night on the street side of hotel with the younger crowd going home from the pubs, but at least they were having fun!!! Next time I'd like to try a room on the courtyard side and see how it is. What can I say about breakfast, but yummy!!! Denise you are wonder in the kitchen, your homemade preserves are wonderful. Lots of great information on things to do in the area, thank you for all your advice. I like that you have parking, but car owners be aware it can be tight, but there is a great public parking lot just 5 minutes walk down the street. If you get back later in the day and everything in the hotel car park is full, the city lot is free in the evening until I think 8 am the next day, so no worries. I hope to return someday, Yorkshire needs more exploring and we love Newton House.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are quite nice, however, if you don't like a bit of noise when your windows a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We would like to thank Denise for another great stay.The room was spacious and the bed was large and very comfortable. The breakfasts are brilliant so much choice and all cooked fresh .Denise and staff are very attentive to your needs and do everything to make your stay brilliant .we will be back with our dog Lola who they also made welcome with home made doggie treats waiting for her in the room
Thanking. You Denise
Paula and Malcolm

Room Tip: If you have a dog the two rooms are huge and spotless
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
#9 of 30 in Harrogate
Old Swan Hotel
Old Swan Hotel
#17 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!