“Ideal base for Harrogate”
Review of Newton House

Newton House
Ranked #4 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and found everything to our satisfaction. Knaresborough is a lovely town in its own right and had a lively festival going on when we were there, but we used it mainly as a base for attending 3 Gilbert & Sullivan Festival events in the elegant town of Harrogate, just a 15-minute drive/bus ride away. Newton House is a very fine building, full of character. Denise gave us a warm welcome, though after a 240-mile drive we were far too tired to absorb the very comprehensive (over-long!) information about the area which she provided. Our large room on the first floor was excellent and contained many extras - fridge, flat-screen tv, DAB digital radio, very modern shower, settee, fan, variety of teas/coffees, fresh milk and many more. With double glazing the room was very quiet even though on the main road. Breakfasts were wonderful! There was an amazing variety of dishes on offer, and the menu made it clear that fresh products, locally sourced wherever possible, were a big priority. The staff who served us breakfast were all very pleasant indeed, and nothing was too much trouble. The dining room was a fraction small to serve 12 bedrooms, and there was an occasional short delay at peak times. The atmosphere here was much more akin to that of a guest house than a hotel ("Where are you off to today?" etc), which suited us. Denise appears very hard-working indeed and is clearly intent on making guests' experience a very special one. This won't be the cheapest hotel in the area, but we found the extra comfort, space, quality and service well worth a few extra pounds. This is a hotel we would definitely recommend to fellow travellers!

Room Tip: Transport tip. Shuttle bus every 7 minutes to Harrogate, only £3 return.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I had to book a room in this area, Due to a family wedding & with my 4 year old girl ! We got welcomed in , with so much help & information on the area! We only stayed one night, but could have stayed more . Clean, welcoming & all you're needs in the room . To top it off the next morning a freshly cooked breakfast , cereal & fruit included . Would recommend to anyone x

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Came up for the tour de france and couldn't have had a better time. Whole family (there were 13 of us) totally enjoyed our stay, both in the area and at the hotel. Couldn't have been more welcoming. Ages range from infants to grandparents and all had a great time

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Having looked forward to staying here since booking a few months ago I am upset that I have had a negative experience. To be 'greeted' by the hotel owner telling you off and shouting that she has not had her breakfast because they are busy and have to clean rooms was an unpleasant shock. (We arrived before check-in but had made it clear we were not expecting to check-in early and just wanted to leave the car and use the restroom).

Although my room was clean and breakfast was pleasant there was no going back such was the encounter. An apology goes a long way! I work hard and a weekend staying in a hotel is a treat. Although we enjoyed the rest of the weekend and our stay, unfortunately my over-riding memory of Knaresborough was this meeting.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Ruth G
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Oh dear – you obviously caught me at a very bad time when Newton House was closed. It is unusual for us to have every room checking out on a Saturday morning and I was under a lot of pressure to get 12 bedrooms ready for new guests checking in that afternoon. I’m sorry if you think I was rude – I certainly did not intend to be.

Newton House is a 4 gold star guest house – it is not a hotel with 24-hr a day reception facilities. We do offer the facility of an early check in (free of charge) as long as we are given prior notification (and we did ask you to let us know if you would like this).

I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and liked your room.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have stayed in multiple hotels / guest houses / B&Bs around the world and the manner in which I was spoken to upon arrival at Newton House was by far the rudest I have ever received. The owner of the place appeared to have take issue at the fact that I had not replied to an e mail asking what time I intended to arrive to check in. I since have checked my emails / junk folder / deleted e mails and definitely did not receive any such e mail.

I had received a text message earlier in the day stating that the room would not be ready until 3pm. I had promptly replied stating that this was absolutely fine.

Upon arrival in the car park at 1pm, I wanted to use the toilet and then return after 3pm to check in.

I was confronted by an aggressive lady (the owner) who told me off several times about the fact I had not replied to her e mail. I was shocked and perplexed by this misplaced aggression and complete rudeness.

This completely soured the rest of my stay in Knaresborough and am keen to warn other potential guests about this. Other people have done the same on this website; so if you are reading this - you have been warned.

Take your well earned money and stay somewhere else where you will get a "warm welcome" rather than someone who cannot cope with her own job and takes it out on her guests.

(I'm sure this will generate a generic response from the owner about in a "he said, she said" / "you can't please everyone fashion" but this is the first review I have ever written as I have never experience such rude customer service in my life).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank thebeautifulnorth
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2014

As I have already explained to your friend, ‘Ruth G’, Newton House was closed when you arrived at 12.15pm, and we (myself and my staff) were under a lot pressure to get all our rooms serviced to our normal high standards by our check-in time of 3pm.

I’m sorry if I seemed abrupt, and on this occasion I hold my hands up – I was having a bad day. I like everything to be perfect for my guests on their arrival, and do my best to accommodate their wishes regarding check in. But as your early arrival was unexpected, your three rooms were not ready, and so I fell short of the normal high standards we have at Newton House. I’m sorry you had a bad experience – but please be assured, this is not how I normally welcome my guests.

Denise

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed for one night and were made to feel very welcome. Slightly quirky but very nicely decorated room, the facilities were fine for us but if you were on the large side you would find our bathroom a bit of a squeeze. However the breakfast is something else, probably on of the best hotel breakfasts.I have ever had (and that includes 5* London hotels). Would definitely recommend and we look forward to a return visit. Interesting Georgian house and nice entrance 'fernery' added to the appeal.

Room Tip: If you are a 'larger' person ask not to have the downstairs bedroom on the main street (No...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for one night. The owner is very helpful, breakfasts are fabulous, staff are very attentive and approachable. I paid for a superior room which was a bit smaller than I imagined but it was very very clean and comfy. We stayed in room 5 which overlooks the road, traffic was passing but with the windows open it did not bother us. She had even put large electric fans in the rooms as it was so warm.
We arrived early and was able to park our car there and return later. Denise showed us the walkways and gave us a map.
The bathroom was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in Knaresborough
Kirkgate House
Kirkgate House
#3 of 15 in Knaresborough

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!