“Not what I'd hoped for :(”
Review of Carriages

Carriages
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: European, Spanish, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I had tried to get a table in this gorgeous wine bar and restaurant back in February. Unfortunately we'd not booked in advance so could not get a table on the night.
The smell of the food and and what we could see being presented to diners made us determined to revisit with a reservation.
Last night (Saturday 26th) we finally got to revisit the beautiful knaresborough and with a booking at Carriages secured we were very happy.
We were seated in a small dining area, 3 couples (inc ourselves), one table of four and a large party of 8 or 10 ladies.
Unfortunately the party of ladies were rather rowdy and no amount of trying to ignore them worked, what we didn't know about their sons photos was no ones business!! This spoilt the ambiance a little.
The menu was not what we expected. There were fewer choices than we'd thought and each meal had the same or similar accompaniments. Unfortunately mushrooms are not my favourite and were on most dishes and spinach was also on most, of which neither of us are keen. In fairness, as the meals appear to be freshly put together, a request to leave these items from the plate were easily dealt with.
My starter was nice and enjoyable, my friend had the duo of duck, the pate was not the best but the rest of the dish was lovely. Our mains were also nice. My seabass was cooked well and my friends venison was very nice.
All dishes were presented beautifully but there was that something missing, which was disappointing.
As we were finishing out drinks and waiting on our bill to be brought to us, we did have the misfortune of seeing one of the waiting staff redress tables. When he turned the table cloth over and reset the table it did raise the question of what other areas cleanliness was not top priority. I appreciate this is done in some establishments but as a diner you don't need to see it!
To sum up our evening, the food was pleasant and it wasn't over priced, unfortunately the hen/birthday/leaving/get together or what ever it was party did spoil the overall atmosphere when we were looking to have a nice meal together and enjoy some rare time alone and the turning of the table cloths wasn't a great end to the evening.
On this occasion we visited knaresborough because we wanted to come to Carriages in particular, if we come to knaresborough again I'd like to give Carriages another try as I really want it to be a lovely eating experience. BUT we will not be building our trip around a visit to Carriages like we did this weekend.

2  Thank AngelaCarr
There are newer reviews for Carriages

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A fantastic restaurant for a family and friend party.
Adults and children accommodated fantastically.
We were in a private function room which is suitable for lots of occasions, I would certainly use it and recommend to others for private functions.
The service from the staff was wonderful.
My son and I also frequent this restaurant and the food has always been really good.
Can't wait to return .

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked in here for 8pm last night but the people on our table didn't vacate till 8.30. The restaurant is quite small and very busy and it was awkward for 8 people to stand around whilst waiting. However, this was the only negative of the night and I accept may have made some walk out but I'm glad we didn't. The staff were apologetic and the issue was acknowledged on our bill. The food is excellent and the variety of dishes served at our table were all cooked to perfection. The young staff, Harry & Jack, are a credit to the establishment and we enjoyed a good deal of banter with them. Only thing to be aware of is the very steep staircase to the loo which we think some people would struggle with. Fortunately not us.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed over night in knaresborough and thought we would just have a pub tea, but we found carriages on trip advisor, we wandered down to look around knaresborough and popped in to see we there was available table. We booked in at 8:30pm. It is very small bar area with low ceilings( my husband realised very quickly when he banged his head lol), the food was lovely and served with such care and precision, and served on nice slate. For 2 courses on the a la carte menu I think was £28-30 each which I'm not sure it was totally worth, but for a treat for our romantic weekend away it was fine. I loved the little touches you got like the pre appetiser sushi that was delicious and unexpected. I would recommend carriages, and would return.

1  Thank Shus339
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Great night, wonderful food and couldn't fault the service.
Would return in a heart beat. All the food that we saw being ordered look very nice and would like to try everything on the extensive menu.