“Allerton Court Hotel, Northallerton”

Allerton Court Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northallerton
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Arranged for a group of 8 to stay for one night (Charity Corporate Coast to Coast Cycle - Morecombe to Whitby). Look and feel of the hotel and rooms is very good, as is the friendly service and food. Excellent value, great overnight stay - I have no hesitation in recommending ACH, which surpassed my expectations!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank keith w

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I wanted to go out to eat somewhere in Northallerton as this is where we live and have never tried allerton court before, happily phoned and booked a table.
We were seated in the restaurant and I was unhappy with where we had been seated it was no trouble to the staff to move us , the food came quickly and was delicious very well presented and portion sizes were perfect , service was good and prompt . Overall a very lovely evening and an excellent find shall definately be going again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank VIctoriaNorris
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Good business class hotel - excellent breakfast and good value evening meal. Plenty of convenient parking. Good sized clean and comfortable bedroom, with tea/coffee making facilities and biscuits provided, although there were some stains on one of the chairs and carpet. The restaurant staff were obliging but I felt they were overworked. One slight quibble over breakfast. I need lashings of good strong tea to get me off to a good start in the morning, and this is what you expect in Yorkshire! But instead of a water boiler, there was a little bit of warm water in a thermos and no teapots. To be fair, this was rectified once I asked.

So I would recommend this hotel as very good value for money. I would have no hesitation in staying again.

Room Tip: There is no lift, so choose a ground floor room if you have heavy cases or troublesome knees.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Roger T
Reviewed 7 June 2014

EVENTUALLY.. .. is the word missing from the title line!

Booking in was a total 'comedy of errors'.
The first night was very, very, poor from start to finish, disturbing actually.
NO warm welcome here.
Booking in late(ish) at night after long day at work, then all the ensuing palaver was nearly too much for T and wasn't conducive to her having to be fresh, bright eyed and bushy tailed for her training role the next day.

We were initially allocated room 25.. which is up tight, narrow and awkward stairs (NO lift), very difficult to negotiate with a heavy case and other bags to carry.
First room key did not open the door, so, back down to reception for a refreshed key (got two as two of us staying) alas neither of these opened the door either, so, back down to reception again.

We were then offered room 22.. we managed to open that room door Ok, however, much to the chagrin of all concerned room 22 WAS OCCUPIED. More on that later!
So here we go again, back down to reception.. ..now feeling like candidates for "Candid Camera" and the patience starting to fray we told the story of what had happened upstairs.

After a discussion between who I now know to be the owners of the hotel, about who did what, where and when in their booking system etc. we were told it would be an 'upgrade' to room 3, the executive suite!
After checking that room door could actually be opened and the room un-occupied, it was back upstairs to carry the bags back down the awkward stairs and along the ground floor corridor to room 3.
We have to say room 3 has an enormous bed which fair takes away the breath when first seen, but, it is two singles bolted together and consequently has a step, two different heights!
Anyway, great we thought we're in, lets get settled, a cuppa and T had some work Emails to catch up on. Alas, the saga continues.. .. very weak Wi-Fi signal, certainly not good enough to sustain T's mails which require uninterrupted cover.
So here I go again, back to reception again.. now for a discussion about Wi-Fi.. with now the night porter as the owners had decamped for the night.. suffice to say, for now, the mails had to wait until the next day!

T went to her training location the next day without breakfast, her choice. When I was eating breakfast the owner appeared and was full of apologies about the 'mix up' with the rooms, I then informed him about the Wi-Fi being no good either, to which he seemed to be quite taken aback. To cut a long story short, the Wi-Fi now works and I know where the routers are after personal involvement.. .. and T's Emails got done the second night.

Allerton Cons:
Quite a few in our opinions.
The most serious of which must be giving room keys out for a room which was occupied.
What if it had been an unaccompanied woman in the room? That must be the biggest nightmare of every woman who travels alone, someone accessing her room at night.
Ladies, ALWAYS use the deadlock is my advice, every time.

Still on that subject, what if there was a fire? It does not bear thinking about that an hotel doesn't know how many residents and which rooms they are in!

T's training colleague (H) had to change rooms too due to the room lock debacle. I understand she was locked out, all her personal belongings being inside. After a couple of hours she was relocated next door to us downstairs. She found that experience to be very distressing and had it not been for the knowledge her colleague was in the same hotel she may well have booked out there and then.

Fridays breakfast sausages were rubbish, I think they had run out of the good 'locally sourced butchers sausage' and had to fall back onto cheapie cut price supermarket own brand frozen sausages.. I was going to give the breakfast food a 'tick' but Friday spoiled that too!

Allerton Pros:
Not many unfortunately.. the room girls are friendly and helpful, suggesting a local place for T to get her nails done, she is impressed so far. The girls also suggested a good place to have an evening meal but we didn't try it. It looks good on Trip Advisor though, so we may have a run out one night from home to give it a go.

The above is obviously a précis of events.
The booking in / room locks experience was deplorable, a total NO NO and getting access to an occupied room should NEVER happen.

Oh, a couple of Pros I nearly forgot, lots of FREE parking and, now, FREE Wi-Fi which works.. I can vouch for that!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank g h
Reviewed 3 June 2014

myself and 2 friends stayed here whilst passing through Northallerton on a charity bike ride. Martin and his staff couldn't have looked after us better. It was as if we were staying with friends. Warm welcome, flexibility with needing to change room types, clean, modern fixtures and fittings and good food in the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PaulBryanton
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here 2 nights to attend our niece's wedding in nearby Brompton and to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

I emailed ahead to ask if the hotel would upgrade us as a surprise for my husband and they did so ~ and without any extra charge ~ from a standard to and executive double which was fantastic and kind.

Breakfasts were really good and nothing was too much trouble, especially as I didn't want a full English but bits from it put together.
We ate in the restaurant our 2nd night and the food was excellent, especially the chips!

The only gripes we had were the greeting and check-out.
Greeting was curt and no information was given to us other than where our bedroom was ~ where breakfast was served, where the bar was etc.
Check-out was almost as bad with a cursory "Thank you" when we paid ~ no niceties at all like Had we had a good stay, Was everything ok.
Call us old fashioned but good manners cost nothing, particularly when it's your business!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 3 is an executive double on the ground floor. Near the children's playground which may be a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights whilst in the area for business.

The room was clean and comfortable with tea and coffee facilities in the room which the hotel staff replenished at on request.

the food from the restaurant for evening meal was very good, fish especially nice as were the mushy peas! Also recommended is the Thai green curry

staff very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: This could be a good place to base yourself to visit North Yorkshire, not much in the town, but ther...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northallerton
Solberge Hall Hotel
The White Rose Hotel
#1 of 1 in Leeming Bar
12 mi away
The Angel at Topcliffe Hotel

Been to Allerton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!