“"Best B & B breakfast ever!"”

Windsor Guest House, Bed and Breakfast
Windsor Guest House, Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 23 Northallerton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This guest house is ideal for rail or bus travellers. Myself and a friend were travelling without a car and the Windsor is easy to find, just five minutes walk from the station and bus stops. Complimentary chocolates were offered on arrival at check in and after filling in an obligatory card, were shown to the room. I was in a twin room complete with en-suite shower, towels, choices of soaps/shampoos - tea/coffee and exlusive biscuits were provided along with a flat screen full freeview channel tv. There was an alarm clock provided but the room I had did not have curtains ( top floor front ). However price wise, I found it very reasonable - it was £30.00 each ( twin room) for one night - payment on arrival. Credit Card machine was available if required to pay that way. The hosts were excellent in allowing us to choose an early breakfast (we required 07.50 on a Sunday morning so we could go on the 08.42 train). We chose a full English Breakfast and it came with a full plate full - 3 rashers!! - and fried bread (!) plus a pot of quality coffee. There were the usual choice of cereals/juice/grapefruit etc. In fact the breakfast set us up for the rest of the day. I have no adverse comments on this guest house. Please be aware that there would be three flights of stairs if you booked a top room. This B&B is ideal for the independent traveller without a car. Northallerton has a good train service every day of the week and there are frequent daytime buses to Leeming Bar, where it is possible to visit and ride The Wensleydale Railway to Redmire. On certain days of the week in the summer, it is possible to travel by heritage bus from Redmire to Hawes and Garsdale Station - but do check times on the Wensleydale Railway website. Northallerton is also a good stopping off point for York, Durham, Newcastle etc. The Windsor Guest House has a vast number of tourist leaflets in the dining room and if you are new to the area, it would be worthwhile spending some time with them working out your holiday.

Room Tip: If you have a front room and have the window open you would hear traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here for one night, close to high street and all amenities within walking distance.
Rooms clean and tidy with tea/coffee making facilities, great breakfast full English and juice and cereals.
Owners very friendly and obliging, would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank carolcampbell
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago with a girlfriend, We had the twin room at the top of the house with a terrific shower room. It was very comfortable, the hosts were very welcoming and carried the cases upstairs for us, the breakfast was excellent using mainly organic local produce. The dogs mentioned elsewhere were not in evidence as they are usually in the hosts private apartments below. When we did see them we loved them (and I am not a doggy person), they are not allowed into the public areas. This Guest house is ideal for anyone visiting the Record Office as it is very close by, also close to the main street of the town with its wonderful choice of independent shops, not the usual chains you see most places. We had our evening meal at the Station Hotel, a very short walk, not the best looking place (yet) but the food was of city centre quality but small town prices.Parking is on the road, we did not have any problems with this. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Injebreck67
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I stayed in the Windsor for 14 months and slept in most of the rooms available. All of the rooms i slept in were clean and comfortable.

I stayed in a number of other guest houses in the Northallerton area before settling on the Windsor as a long term base.

The facilities provided at the Windsor were on a par with, if not better than, those provided by similarly priced local competitors.

The landlord and landlady at the Windsor are a truly delightful couple. They are warm, welcoming and hospitable. I am glad to met them as they made me feel very at home during such a long stay away from home.

The food at the Windsor was excellent. Fresh produce cooked to perfection and served with a smile and a friendly word.

I would highly recommend this guest house.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 22 June 2011

i have stayed at the windsor guest house on many of occassions, once of which was my wedding day,

my first visit which was my wedding night was very pleasant, the owners went out there way to make sure my wedding night was memorable, leaving wine and chocolates in our room , they made us feel very welcome,

some of my family also stayed that night and were very happy with the standard , and all enjoyed a full english the next morning, cereal, fruit , tea , coffee and juices were also available, im a fussy eater to and they were happy to meet my needs

there's also plenty of toiletries and condaments in the rooms,

everything was very clean and tidy and had up to date technology in the rooms ,

the showers were very clean and easy to use with plenty of warm water ( i enjoy long showers)

have stayed there quite alot since my wedding as my family all live in northallerton and i always stay there, very homely ,

i have sent alot of people there way and they feel the same,

will continue to stay there on my family visits

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2011

When I arrived I was met by a very pleasant couple and the husband took me to my room, which was very clean and tidy and on the top floor of the building . The B & B is fairly conveniently situated, being a short walk from the main street in Northallerton - there are other places to stay on the main street but they are probably more expensive.
That is where it ends.

The whole building stank of cooking fat and the smell seemed to cling to all the furnishings and fabrics. It really was revolting and although there were "No Smoking" sigs on display, I don't think the smell of tobacco could be any worse. I am a non-smoker by the way.

The owners keep a couple of very large dogs. The dogs are very friendly but might look intimidating to anyone who has a phobia. I was brought up with pets so I did not mind. The owners did not mention their pets on their website, despite it being perhaps an important issue to any of their potential guests who have pet allergies or are afraid of dogs.

There was an alarm clock in the room and the usual tea and coffee making facilities. The coffee was ordinary Nescafe and the tea was also a cheap type. No decaf or fruit teas etc. There were a few toiletries in the ensuite bathroom.

The bed was truly awful. I have never slept on anything so uncomfortable. It was extremely soft and the springs creaked loudly whenever I moved. At about 2am I could stand it no longer and I spent the rest of the night lying on a rug on the floor. I have stayed at hundreds of B & Bs and I have never felt the need to do that before. I finally managed to get off to sleep and got about 3 - 4 hours worth before I had to get up for breakfast.

Having risen and now in a bad mood because of my lack of sleep, I tried to have a shower. I could not get it to work properly. The water would only flow when the switch was in the "off" position and when it did run it was icy cold. I fiddled with the controls for several minutes but it would not warm up. Maybe it was just me but I did my best. This made me very cross and I vowed to have my breakfast and to leave as soon as possible.

I went down to breakfast feeling grumpy and unrefreshed. The breakfast was pretty unremarkable but quite substantial. I had opted for the "full English". There was a fried egg, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, fried bread - the usual stuff. The pork sausages appeared to be a cheap variety with a fairly small meat content. Juice was offered in very small glasses. There was a choice of tea or coffee.

This place is like the curate's egg - good in parts. It is definitely a "no frills" establishment but where it fails, it fails badly. The uncomfortable bed and cold shower really did it for me and I am sorry to say that for this reason I would not want to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo