“great staffs good price”
Review of As You Like It - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
As You Like It
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
Description: As You Like It is a family run business in the centre of Richmond’s cobbled market place, The large 3 story building is open 7 days a week as a café, wine bar and bistro. We have a large selection of homemade food from local produce on offer, A massive selection of handmade cakes and locally produced Ice cream.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“great staffs good price”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

had our coffee morning here it was good. conveniently located in centre of the square.Friendly staffs and fast service. Price is just right.

Visited August 2013

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't go back.”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We called in here for a quick sandwich and a pot of tea. We had 40 minutes to spare, and thought this was enough time. Sadly it was not and our sandwiches arrived after 32 minutes, so we had to bolt them down. The pot of tea came with no boiling water, and there was not enough in the pot for two cups of tea, so basically it was a cup of tea, served in a pot.
The toilets were up three flights of stairs, and were not all that clean.
I wouldn't go back.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Only Had Coffee and Cake but Average”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Called in here speculatively whilst having an afternoon in Richmond as it look OK from the outside. Had to sit in the upstairs "overflow" room as the downstairs was very busy. First impressions were that the decor was a bit mix and match and also there was leftover food, plates and cutlery on several of the tables which stayed there for about 10 minutes before it was cleaned up. Ordered a quick drink with cake and the staff where very polite and the service was prompt. Me and my wife had the cream tea with a decent sized if average tasting scone but with jarred jam and squirty tinned cream which was dissapointing. Tea was Ok and we had at least two cups each in the pot. My son ordered the chocolate cake which he enjoyed and was well received. Overall not a bad quick drink and snack experience but a lot of room for improvement. Came to about a tenner for 3 of us which as a positive was good value for money.

Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Sorry it was less than good”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Popped into this cafe for a snack meal. On arrival the tables of departed guests were uncleared. We sat, and ordered,...a member of staff came to take our order, we were asked to pay upfront. Then, proceeded to 'wipe down' our table with the most disgusting grey dishcloth I have ever seen! Using an antiseptic spray the cloth was primed,........our table was left smeared in a worse condition than before . During the wait for our order, another table took back crockery which was dirty before having replacement coffees. Our food came, a chicken salad and a jacket potato. It was OK but we wondered if we would be OK later on. We had a pot of tea for two. My teaspoon was ingrained with stains. The milk jug arrived with black floaters,....it was changed, but all very slap happy . If we had not paid, we would have not stayed. Shame, as the venue on the market square was good and this place has potential for being much better than it is. We would not go back again.

London, United Kingdom
“Let down!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Richmond is a beautiful town that attracts a lot of tourists and endorses some wealthy locals. Situated in a good location to access the dales and local produce I think you have got to set a certain standard.I work in the hospitality industry and when I saw the menu along with the prices and being in Richmond I thought the prices were reasonable and I would be happy. However what I received does not match what I paid. My greek salad came in a cereal bowl and without the balsamic glaze as described on the menu. After asking for some balsamic glaze, they gave me a small jug which contained a mixture of balsamic vinegar and oil. It did not have the thick syrup like texture, in my opinion, I would expect from a balsamic glaze.

On top of this my sister was ordering some food for her children, the kids menu only had a choice of two sandwiches neither of which the kids like so she requested a sausage sandwich, which they said would cost extra. Again after seeing it we were more than disappointed!

A Costa coffee has just opened in place of the pitt hotel. I hear people are annoyed because a chain company are opening up will take business away from the independent coffee shops. I also want to visit local shops instead of commercial chains but I couldnt help but feel betrayed after my visit.

As another note, the member of staff serving us, who looked to be of a managerial/supervisor position was miserable. Not what I want to see coming into lunch on a sunny day.I will not be spending £10 to grab a small lunch there again. Someone needs to set the standard higher, I can only hope not all the local coffee shops are like this one. I could have visited the Turf hotel and received a much larger meal for less money.

I really do not like to be negative but I had to share my poor impression of this place and hope some changes are made.