“Refurb?”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Richmond
Hitchin, Herts
“Refurb?”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Sorry to be so negative about a place, but my husband and I were very disappointed in this hotel. It is in desperate need of a refurb. We stayed on the second floor (room 5 or 6 cant remember) overlooking the square two weeks ago. The room and bathroom were very tired. Bed very lumpy. Staff were very good though. I just feel in this day and age that there is so much competition out there you have to be careful not to be left far behind.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back of the hotel as the front is very noisy!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rubylewis
GM-KingsH, General Manager at The King's Head Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
I really do appreciate your honesty on your review, I see not as negative but constructive. Please be assured that I have taken on board your comments and after a recent Maintenance walkabout we have rectified areas that you have mentioned in your review. We really do hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely feel to the place, very welcoming! Food in the restaurant was exceptional and excellent value for money. Sat drinking coffee by the open fire after our meal was lovely! Bed was sumptuous and breakfast was great! Would recommend a stay at this hotel!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We are all so thrilled with your kind comments. I have passed these on to the team. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, I couldnt agree with you more about sitting around the wonderful log fire after your meal in the restaurant. We hope to see you again very soon.
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I am on the third night of a three night stay at the kings head hotel for business and I have had a faultless stay. I have eaten in the hotel restaurant every night and have enjoyed excellent food and second to none service. I would particularly like to mention Louis and Pat who were both friendly and attentive and made my stay so enjoyable. They went above and beyond to make me feel very welcome. Wifi coverage has been very good all over the hotel and my room has been very comfortable and decorated to a high standard. Extra touches such a bottled water, fruit and extra milk have been very much appreciated.
I will definitely return to the kings head and would recommend to colleagues, friends and family. Many thanks also to the hotel manager who made time to listen to my feedback and who provided me with extra helpful info about the hotel and the area.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
My team and I are so thrilled with all your wonderful comments. It was a pleasure to sit with you and have some direct feedback, you were so complimentary in every area. I have personally passed on your praise to both Luis and Pat who were so pleased. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just had 3 night Tesco break. This is a warm and welcoming old country style hotel full of character. The hotel is very pleasant very clean and the staff v friendly and helpful special mention for Simon. Breakfast was excellent. Once again best western properties hit the mark would definitely revisit

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anthony b
I have passed on all your kind comments to the team, we are so pleased you enjoyed your recent break with us. I have especailly mentioned to Simon that you have mentioned him. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Yorkshire Dales
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was a bit perturbed when we were told to take the stairs then the fire exit door - we'd only just arrived.....Room 22 was the only bedroom on a small landing at the back of the hotel. The door was tiny but didn't bother me as I'm tiny too, the bed was enormous but so was the room & the ensuite bathroom. Everything was not straight, it was like being in Alice in Wonderland. If you didn't lock the wardrobe door it flew open with a loud creak, the floor seemed to be uphill in every direction & the windows. You get the picture!!! Full of character and clean & quiet. The staff were lovely & we had the best nights sleep for a long time. Only slight niggle was water pressure was a bit low so showering took my husband an age. Thanks for a memorable stay - a lot of hotels don't get big groups right but they did here.

Room Tip: If you want complete peace & quiet in a huge bed room 22!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for all your comments, some of which have lead us to do some work in the room you stayed in, even though you say it was quirky we have made sure we have mended the issues that you had. Thank you for your Kind comments about the team and I have passed these on. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Called in for lunch Saturday afternoon after visiting Angel Bakery ( as seen on tv).My husband had the pie of the day and I had risotto both which were delicious and served very quickly. The tables were spotless with fresh flowers and the décor was very relaxing. The staff were attentive and very knowledgeable especially the young waiter explaining the choices of coffee to the couple next to us ,what a star he was. Will definitely go again if we are in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for all your lovely comments, I have passed these on to the team and have especially mentioned to Luis who was the young man that you have commented on. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
#1 of 2 in Reeth
The Black Lion Hotel
The Black Lion Hotel
#16 of 51 in Richmond

Been to The King's Head Hotel? Share your experiences!