“Lovely place. Great food ...”

The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Frenchgate Hotel for one night in April 2014.
We decided to book a room based on previous reviews on Trip Advisor; the hotel definately lived up to its reputation!
The hotel is gorgeous, the room was clean and stylishly furnished.
The staff were extremely helpful and made our stay very comfortable.
We ate our evening meal in the restaurant and had one of the best meals we've had in a long time. Breakfast was delicious too.
I would definately recommend this hotel for a stay in Richmond.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank super_star0410

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was a last minute booking.
Managed to park right outside the hotel. The owner showed me to my room, which was the single but a lovely well appointed room and bathroom. Not the biggest hotel room I have ever stayed in but had everything I needed.
Very disappointed to learn that the hotel restaurant was closed as I had heard good things about it. The hotel owner recommended 3 restaurants - sadly as it was a Sunday night one was closed, also on checking one has a '0' rating food hygiene score - luckily I found that out before visiting Rustique. In the end I ate at the Italian just around the corner which was absolutely fine. When I returned to the hotel I pointed out the hygiene rating to the hotel owner - he was surprised. This is a recent score too. Hopefully he will not be recommending them again unless they vastly improve.
It was great to have free wifi in the room and the main hotel area - something that larger hotels need to look at - Marriott for instance.
For some reason I wasn't over impressed with Richmond and prefer Leyburn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bakingisfun
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I would not hesitate a recommending the Frenchgate to anyone visiting Richmond and the surrounding area. The hotel is immaculate, the staff warm, friendly and attentive and its on the loveliest street in the town. It was perfect for our weekend away from work and the kids...just wish it had lasted longer! Thank you to all the folk at the Frenchgate.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Frenchgate was a great place to stay, comfortable, cosy and very welcoming. Huge double bed, oodles of bath/hair toiletries, and a lovely breakfast next morning-couldn't want more (except a swimming pool!)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Great Food
Great Room
Great Hospitality
This is a quirky hotel(size location style mix) which is expensive but worth it. My second stay but not my last I hope. Great place as a break in the middle of a coast-to-coast walk or for a romantic long weekend.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was the second time in the restaurant for us & the service is so personalised & friendly. It was our first stay at the hotel & we felt royally indulged. We're just sorry that it was such a rushed weekday stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Fantastic location, Richmond is beautiful, as was the food served in the quaint 8 table restaurant. Would definitely recommend for a weekend or evening away.
Staff were very helpful and pleasant upon arrival all the way through to departure.

Room Tip: If dining in the restaurant I'd highly recommend the "wine flight" - you get a differe...