“A delightfully modern yet traditional hotel providing everything you could possibly need.”

The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My girlfriend and I spent the Easter bank holiday at the Frenchgate and had a truly wonderful time. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. They interacted with each of their guests on a personal level to ensure all their needs were catered for. The rooms have been beautifully restored and kitted out with all you'll need for an enjoyable stay. The exquisite bathrooms with underfloor heating, large double showers and heated mirrors are very well thought out. The "double bed" was enormous! Over 7ft wide and incredibly comfortable. The only minor downside is the level of mood lighting. Whilst providing a relaxing and romantic atmosphere it might be nice to have the option for some brighter light in order to apply makeup. However the lit and heated mirror in the bathroom was an adequate substitute. The food was simply sublime. I thoroughly recommend you book a table for dinner and when you saunter down for breakfast in the morning, be sure to sample Doreen's black pudding! We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Josh2710
There are newer reviews for The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Good location, managed to park right outside. We had booked a double room and a single room. The double room we were shown to was in "the cottage". The single in the main hotel. We also had dinner at the hotel on the night we stayed. Whilst our stay was very good, food also very good, we felt slightly patronised at times. We would suggest that the hotel, booking sites make it very clear as to the location of "the cottage" room and that it does not have a shower.

Room Tip: Check carefully when booking as "the cottage" is not attached to the hotel, it does not ha...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Always a very warm welcome from David. Stayed in the past with my husband but this time en route to scotland and back on my own David gave me a very comfortable and stylish room (bathrooms gorgeous especially luxurious towels) Sadly the restaurant was closed for work in progressive in the kitchen. Ah well, next time! Good breakfast choices before setting off. Have recommended to friends and look forward to returning.
Barbara Walker

Room Tip: Just leave it to David
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Frenchgate Hotel for one night in April 2014.
We decided to book a room based on previous reviews on Trip Advisor; the hotel definately lived up to its reputation!
The hotel is gorgeous, the room was clean and stylishly furnished.
The staff were extremely helpful and made our stay very comfortable.
We ate our evening meal in the restaurant and had one of the best meals we've had in a long time. Breakfast was delicious too.
I would definately recommend this hotel for a stay in Richmond.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank super_star0410
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was a last minute booking.
Managed to park right outside the hotel. The owner showed me to my room, which was the single but a lovely well appointed room and bathroom. Not the biggest hotel room I have ever stayed in but had everything I needed.
Very disappointed to learn that the hotel restaurant was closed as I had heard good things about it. The hotel owner recommended 3 restaurants - sadly as it was a Sunday night one was closed, also on checking one has a '0' rating food hygiene score - luckily I found that out before visiting Rustique. In the end I ate at the Italian just around the corner which was absolutely fine. When I returned to the hotel I pointed out the hygiene rating to the hotel owner - he was surprised. This is a recent score too. Hopefully he will not be recommending them again unless they vastly improve.
It was great to have free wifi in the room and the main hotel area - something that larger hotels need to look at - Marriott for instance.
For some reason I wasn't over impressed with Richmond and prefer Leyburn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bakingisfun
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I would not hesitate a recommending the Frenchgate to anyone visiting Richmond and the surrounding area. The hotel is immaculate, the staff warm, friendly and attentive and its on the loveliest street in the town. It was perfect for our weekend away from work and the kids...just wish it had lasted longer! Thank you to all the folk at the Frenchgate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Frenchgate was a great place to stay, comfortable, cosy and very welcoming. Huge double bed, oodles of bath/hair toiletries, and a lovely breakfast next morning-couldn't want more (except a swimming pool!)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
The King's Head Hotel
#2 of 51 in Richmond
The Black Lion Hotel
The Black Lion Hotel
#15 of 51 in Richmond

Been to The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel? Share your experiences!