This hotel is on the wrong side of the road, so that none of its rooms enjoy the views for which Richmond is justifiably famous. Nevertheless, if you still decide to book here, make sure you don't get the so-called cottage room. It lives up to its 16th century billing only in the decrepit state of the plumbing, its cramped space, old (not to be confused with antique) furniture and general shabbiness. In no way was staying there a four star experience except in terms of the price which makes no concession to reality.
And, if after staying out late (we were in Richmond for a wedding) you miss breakfast, don't bother trying to purchase a sandwich or anything else to tide you over. My wife asked and all she got was a refusal and sarcasm from the owner about the chef needing a day off. Either of the two junior members of staff listening embarrassed to their manager's sarcasm could and no doubt would have been willing to turn their hand to sandwich-making but were never given the chance.
According to other wedding guests, The Frenchgate Guest House and Millgate House Hotel, both of which have stunning views, are far friendlier and more professional.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The quality of food and menus at the Frenchgate reflect the passion and enthusiasm of the staff. Care is taken to source ingredients locally wherever possible and all our food is all prepared to order. Start with a selection of homemade breads, starters of hand dived scallops, Whitby white crab or carpaccio of local beef, then maybe a loin of Yorkshire lamb together with a confit of shoulder, a fillet of pan roasted halibut cooked to perfection, local game or one of our delicious vegetarian options. Our bar and wine lists match the quality and value of our food. Choose from our superb house recommendations or unique “wine flight” to classic and unusual new world offerings. As well as a range of fine spirits and liqueurs befitting the independent and non corporate feel of The Frenchgate, you can also enjoy a range of both local bottle conditioned ales, and imported beers from around the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Frenchgate Hotel Richmond
- The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel Richmond, Yorkshire