Upon an early arrival and a subsequent early checkin, only because the room was ready early due to it being quiet.
The road into the site was very damaged and the car took a battering, during our stay the management took some action to fill in the worst holes with some hardcore.
The lodge (no.8) was very spacious and had good views of the dales and had a large decking area too, all rooms were double with ensuite/wetrooms but the shower guards were virtually useless, with tap handles missing. The mattresses were extremely uncomfortable and we had to use extra bedding to soften the springs sticking in the ribs. The tv system speakers didn't work properly and were a bit ugly and didn't fit the ethos of the natural retreat.
We were told that all the lodges were being renovated and there was evidence of this as there was a lot of vans in/out dropping furniture off, so maybe some of these issues will be sorted.
The parking outside the lodge was a little tight to the car space for the next lodge. There was a lot of wildlife about (mainly) rabbits and some pheasants. The walks around the site were mapped out and were good even with a 2yr old. The woodland walk was a little steep but did manage half way up the hill to the first bench.
Around the site there were areas of debris large pieces of wood with rusty nails sticking out, and two areas where there had been a fire approx 3m diameter where again pieces of rusty metal were abandoned.
That being said the location was excellent and only 10mins to Richmond by car or 45mins to walk, if you want to relax and have a peaceful time it is a good location. There are good attractions nearby, Black Sheep Brewery and the Aysgarth Falls are both excellent even on a cold February day.
There are some issues to be ironed out, maybe there is too much focus on expansion and not on the site that started the business, This is our second stay at a natural retreats site (newquay last year) and would come back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award-winning design, modern open plan living and sustainable build are only a few highlights of these superb residences which offer perfect self catering holidays in the Yorkshire Dales. Having benefited from a complete refurbishment, the interior of each residence has been entirely revamped, incorporating ethical and exquisite design. The lodges are lovingly furnished with bespoke touches such as the exclusively designed sofas and innovative ‘cube’ seats, showcasing colours purposely chosen to compliment and mirror the idyllic scenery. Locally-sourced items have been used wherever possible, from the beautiful sofa cushions to the unusual ‘tree trunk’ bedside tables, just another example of Natural Retreats’ commitment to sustainability. As well as beautifully updated interiors the residences have also benefited from rejuvenated exteriors, enhanced roads and pathways. And, just in time for Bonfire Night, a selection of residences will boast private outdoor fire pits encircled by sunken seating, enabling guests to further appreciate the beautiful backdrop and views across the stunning Swale Valley.The Yorkshire Dales is an area of great natural beauty, offering visitors a real taste of rural England. An ideal location for walking, fishing and mountain biking, breathe in some fresh country air and appreciate the world we live in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Natural Retreats Yorkshire Dales reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Natural Retreats Yorkshire Dales Hotel Richmond
- Natural Retreats Yorkshire Dales Richmond