“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #14 of 51 Richmond B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Seriously, there is a certain hospitality that goes in Yorkshire and I can honestly say that this place lacks any pretence at providing it. From the moment you arrive, when money is demanded of you before you get your room key, to the lack of dinner, ("we don't serve dinner on Monday" - we were actually there on Sunday!, to the breakfast where we were told that we had ordered a full English ( when, in fact, we were never asked), the experience was grim. Wifi was not available to us as we were told that the password was not given out to guests. The staff were rude, unfriendly and the food was poor. Altogether an awful experience. Coast to Coast walkers - AVOID

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sage57_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Staffordshire Moorlands
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Website says food served to 2.30pm. Arrived at 2pm, after a four hour journey, to be told they'd stopped serving. Should have known better when we saw the car park was empty. Did us a favour, ate at the Unicorn in Richmond, good food and friendly staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris B
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had our wedding meal here last August.Fantastic food and lovely atmosphere. Couldnt fault the place and the fact there is a little garden for the children to play in really helped.Lovely staff and we stayed overnight after our night "do", lovely room and was heaven to get up to a full english the next morning.Would definitely recommend this place

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula T
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Today we stopped at above pub on the spur of the moment and were very glad we did
It is set just out of Richmond on the Leyburn road in a country setting
It was clean and pleasant and the landlord was welcoming
We ordered off the lunch menu 2x lasagne and 2 x cottage pies
I had the lasagne with some hand cut proper chips it was piping hot and delicious with a deep tomatoe sauce all washed down with some excellent black sheep ale
We were made to feel very welcome had good food and good ale anf the meals were only a fiver each !! Amazing value we will definatly visit again

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am from London and was staying in Richmond as I had a meeting for work early in the morning. After a long drive all I wanted was something to eat and a good nights sleep. After reading the last review I decided not to eat in the pub but went out for food. On my return I went back to my room and settled down for a quiet night. This is when the problems began.

I was in room 1, which was clean and tidy and was perfect for what I was looking for. However, it wasn't long before the alarm (fuse box) outside of my room started to alarm. After a few minutes I went to the bar to report the problem and a very kind member of staff turned the alarm off. An hour later it went off again. I reported it and again it was turned off. I asked for the code to turn the noise off and was given it and I had to use it again another couple of times before going to sleep at around 11. I was woken up another 2 times in the night by the constant beeping from the alarm. I resorted to calling the hotel in the night and asking them to turn the noise off. After my second call it was switched off for good although by this time my sleep had already been ruined.

I had asked for breakfast at 8 and was greeted by the very polite chef. He asked my if I preferred tea or coffee and then went to the kitchen. I was surprised that he didn't ask me what I wanted for breakfast and was even more surprised when he appeared 5 minutes later with my full English breakfast. Not what I wanted but I was hungry so started to tuck in anyway. The sausage was mediocre, the beans Luke warm, the black pudding undercooked and the toast had mould on it. Terrible breakfast.

In summary, a poor nights sleep, a very poor breakfast but a good location with pleasant staff. There are probably better places to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ainthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have eaten my way around this planet of ours for fifty plus years but can announce a bombshell. I have just had my worst dining experience.
Not given to hyperbole either way, good or bad, I am as surprised by just how bad a meal could get without special training.
Look, I have never been to the Holly Inn before today; I know nothing of its history or who owns/manages it; I have no axe to grind or scores to settle. Please understand that this is my experience on the day....a snapshot.
We, a friend and I, wer hungry. We passed a couple of Inns which due to circumstances best known to themselvers were "Closed on Tuesdays". I cannot tell you how much I wish that this was the case at the Holly Inn.
Cold, with evidence of a much used Super-cir bottled gas heater (unlit) having been hauled in to service, we approached the bar as the barman stuck another log in to the newly lit log-burner. It would get warmer, we were sure....if we stayed long enough.
The smartly turned out stoker/barman (and as we were to discover, chef) served us with that sullied suspicion of all things english (deservedly, frankly) expected of foreign staff on minimum wages. He was sufficient unto the task, served us drinks, produced phopcopied menus and we settled in to an anticipatory mode in the window seat. The menu was retro. Sandwiches held a pole position but beneath the banner heading of "Hearty Meals" we found...er very little. Lasagne, Scampi, a pie...chicken we were unreliably informed. Er...all with chips and peas. Hmmm. Two chicken pies, please.
That was an over-descriptive hope.
The plates, cold, arrived. rarely have I seen such suitable lack of aplomb. The pie was two soggy crusts, fractured and flopped on to the plate. The crusts would have contacted each other, DID contact each other, but for a few granular pieces of something not entirely identifiable as chicken, or anything else for that matter using the normal senses of taste, sight and smell. It was, frankly, a disgraceful excuse for food.
The five chips were the colour of burned (black at the edges) mahogany yet by some trick of alchemy remained cold in the middle. These were yesterdays chips...I know the signs...who doesn't? What an INSULT to be served such inedible offerings.
The peas. A goodly desertspoonful. I ate them with relish even though they were as fresh as the frozen moment when the pod went pop...and just as hard....and just as cold. I began to feel very sorry for the stoker/chef/barman who must have been overcome with shame that the England he had tried so hard to emigrate to should have placed him in such a position. I told him that the food was dire and he muttered a heartfely but candid "Sorry".
So am I. I could not be more sorry...unless I tell you about the gravy; but no. Enough.
As I said, this is a snapshot of the day.
I can only suggest that the photograph is torn up and the negatives destroyed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank tectak
kamran o, Manager at Holly Hill Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Oh Dear Oh Dear How Rude !!!

Smart English man eaten the world over pops in to the Holly Hill as all other pubs closed on a Tuesday ! Orders 2 pie Hand cut fresh chips and peas for total £10. This massive spend does not give you the right to insult foreign staff who by the way is on much more than min wage.
Enough said on this matter as we do not wish to be rude but our customers and locals will tell another story, just read some of our other trip reviews. With aged old gentlemen foreign staff have been brought up to show respect, deserved or not !! But thanks anyway.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went to visit relatives in Richmond for a couple of days and stayed here at the Holly Hill Inn. The inn is lovely and the staff and management cannot do enough for you. We enjoyed an evening meal on our first night with family and everyone enjoyed and spoke highly of the meal. It was so good we decided to try the Sunday lunch and it was lovely. Excellent sized portions, variety of fresh veg all tasty and cooked to perfection. Well worth the money and the sweets are to die for.
We were surprised when Cam asked us what time we would like breakfast in the morning (this is the first time we have ever been asked this - always had set time). On our first day we had a late breakfast around 10.30 and on our second day we had an early one around 8.30. Again a good hearty, tasty breakfast which set one up for the day. We were made to feel that nothing was or would be a problem all they wanted was us to have a great time. Even the locals who used the bar made us feel welcome and chatted the night away with us. We were in room 4 and this is a good sized room with a large bathroom. It was lovely and clean and the view looked onto the fields.
We enjoyed our stay so much we are hoping to do another weekend away later in the year, as there are lots of places to visit. Well done Cam and staff, thank you for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
kamran o, Manager at Holly Hill Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thanks for a great review, look forward to seeing you again, .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
The King's Head Hotel
The Black Lion Hotel
The Black Lion Hotel
#16 of 51 in Richmond
Flowery Dell Luxury Pine Lodges

Been to Holly Hill Inn? Share your experiences!