“Best C2C stop”

Ranked #14 of 51 Richmond B&B and Inns
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Best C2C stop”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is an amazing place to stay and as a family we agreed it was our favourite stop on the C2C. The quality of the room really added to the amazing atmosphere in the pub made this a great stay. The rooms are in a modern extension at the back so road and pub noises are kept to a minimum. The beds were huge and there was a lot of room to move around. We are even thinking of returning here to visit Richmond at a later date. It's amazing to think this was one of our cheaper stays on the C2C.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wirral
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Having seen some of the negative reviews, really cannot understand why? Admittedly we did not stay or eat at Holly Hill Inn (we had holiday accommodation locally) but we did visit on several occasions over 4-5 days for much needed refreshments after cycling and walking. Each time the reception was warm, from staff and locals alike, and the Black Sheep pint on draught was superb. Clearly an old pub with all the lovely cosiness and feel that goes with that, but nonetheless absolutely spotlessly clean - a real credit to the owner and staff. In summary would go out of my way and would certainly venture out of Richmond town centre to enjoy refreshments here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Seriously, there is a certain hospitality that goes in Yorkshire and I can honestly say that this place lacks any pretence at providing it. From the moment you arrive, when money is demanded of you before you get your room key, to the lack of dinner, ("we don't serve dinner on Monday" - we were actually there on Sunday!, to the breakfast where we were told that we had ordered a full English ( when, in fact, we were never asked), the experience was grim. Wifi was not available to us as we were told that the password was not given out to guests. The staff were rude, unfriendly and the food was poor. Altogether an awful experience. Coast to Coast walkers - AVOID

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sage57_11
Staffordshire Moorlands
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Website says food served to 2.30pm. Arrived at 2pm, after a four hour journey, to be told they'd stopped serving. Should have known better when we saw the car park was empty. Did us a favour, ate at the Unicorn in Richmond, good food and friendly staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris B
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had our wedding meal here last August.Fantastic food and lovely atmosphere. Couldnt fault the place and the fact there is a little garden for the children to play in really helped.Lovely staff and we stayed overnight after our night "do", lovely room and was heaven to get up to a full english the next morning.Would definitely recommend this place

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula T
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Today we stopped at above pub on the spur of the moment and were very glad we did
It is set just out of Richmond on the Leyburn road in a country setting
It was clean and pleasant and the landlord was welcoming
We ordered off the lunch menu 2x lasagne and 2 x cottage pies
I had the lasagne with some hand cut proper chips it was piping hot and delicious with a deep tomatoe sauce all washed down with some excellent black sheep ale
We were made to feel very welcome had good food and good ale anf the meals were only a fiver each !! Amazing value we will definatly visit again

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am from London and was staying in Richmond as I had a meeting for work early in the morning. After a long drive all I wanted was something to eat and a good nights sleep. After reading the last review I decided not to eat in the pub but went out for food. On my return I went back to my room and settled down for a quiet night. This is when the problems began.

I was in room 1, which was clean and tidy and was perfect for what I was looking for. However, it wasn't long before the alarm (fuse box) outside of my room started to alarm. After a few minutes I went to the bar to report the problem and a very kind member of staff turned the alarm off. An hour later it went off again. I reported it and again it was turned off. I asked for the code to turn the noise off and was given it and I had to use it again another couple of times before going to sleep at around 11. I was woken up another 2 times in the night by the constant beeping from the alarm. I resorted to calling the hotel in the night and asking them to turn the noise off. After my second call it was switched off for good although by this time my sleep had already been ruined.

I had asked for breakfast at 8 and was greeted by the very polite chef. He asked my if I preferred tea or coffee and then went to the kitchen. I was surprised that he didn't ask me what I wanted for breakfast and was even more surprised when he appeared 5 minutes later with my full English breakfast. Not what I wanted but I was hungry so started to tuck in anyway. The sausage was mediocre, the beans Luke warm, the black pudding undercooked and the toast had mould on it. Terrible breakfast.

In summary, a poor nights sleep, a very poor breakfast but a good location with pleasant staff. There are probably better places to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business