Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews coach house the main house walled garden woodland walk tack room forge restaurant cellar bar dairy cottage grounds are stunning nespresso machine wedding venue secret escapes underfloor heating attention to detail wonderful wedding scotch corner roll top bath
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 February 2024

Such a fantastic place, staff are always lovely and friendly. After a wonderful walk a round the grounds, we ordered our hot beverages and had a chat to the staff. Next thing, a desert plate arrived with the gorgeous piece of cake and the words ‘Happy birthday’ for my friend. It was such a lovely surprise and an amazing gesture, certainly made her day. Big thank you to you all xx

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2024

I would like to say a big thank you to all the team at Middleton lodge. Myself and wife came for my 50th birthday. We had a very nice relaxing afternoon in the spa. Followed by an amazing mid afternoon nap in on of the best beds I have ever slept in. This was before we went out to eat at the coach house.
Big thank you to Jess who was amazing as was all the team. I would definitely recommend. I may come back and try the other forge restaurant. Thanks once again for the amazing stay. Oh i forgot the birthday card was a very nice touch that made me feel special.

Date of stay: January 2024
Reviewed 2 February 2024

It's worth noting that Middleton Lodge bills itself as a restaurant with rooms, not a hotel. It's very much geared around the restaurants and events venue, as well as the spa facilities, so it's not really set-up towards a prolonged stay. This makes it difficult to review as the stand-out bits are sadly let down in other areas.

The Forge restaurant is excellent - the location is lovely, the staff attentive, the food delicious and different. We had the full tasting menu with wine pairing, all of which was perfect.

The Coach House restaurant is more relaxed and has an a la carte menu. The dinner is nice but not outstanding. The restaurant staff seemed somewhat stressed as it was very busy with private dinners on all the nights we ate there.

Both restaurants use produce grown in the beautiful walled garden. When not in use as a wedding venue you can walk around the walled garden. Outside the Coach House is a large courtyard much of which is covered by a large tent structure so you can sit outside for food or drinks come rain or shine. It's a lovely spot for a drink on a sunny summer's evening.

Breakfast is served in the Coach House - there's a large buffet as well as a number of cooked options. You can eat outside if you so choose.

Access to the spa is not part of your stay and has to be booked completely separately at additional charge. It can also be booked up with private events.

The spa is beautiful - pool, plunge pool, sauna, jacuzzi - and they have some great treatments. It's lovely to be able to relax outside by the pool in the British countryside. They have various packages including day and evening spa access, some of which include lunch/dinner. You can also order drinks and snacks in the pool area.

The bath hut experience we had was great but I was not so happy with the manicure I received. Firstly the lady started pushing my cuticles back having neither applied cream nor soaked my hand. She then nicked me a couple of times drawing blood while trimming my cuticles. I was told this was my fault for having dry hands, which left me somewhat aghast. She then rushed the polish only wanting to apply one coat. I chose not to say anything but thought this was more the sort of service you'd get in a cheap nail salon, not a high-end stylish spa.

Unfortunately the accommodation didn't live up to expectations either. All the rooms looked bright, comfortable and cosy on the website however our room seemed dark, tired and spartan. It looked like a child had randomly hung a bizarre selection of pictures higgledy piggledy - none were straight. There definitely weren't any of the nice touches shown in the photos. Unsurprisingly there aren't any pictures of these rooms on the website.

We were staying with 2 dogs so had booked a dog friendly room at an extra charge. This meant we were in one of the rooms behind the Coach House. The rooms are spacious enough but being behind another building and only having windows on one side they're quite dark. The door opens directly outside onto a grit track so you're constantly bringing dirt and mud into the room despite removing shoes and cleaning dog paws on entry, particularly when it's raining. Given the bathroom is immediately in front of the door you end up with bits on the bathroom floor despite best efforts. The floors in the room were bare and could have done with a mop when we arrived. It would have been nice to at least have a mat by the bed. They don't provide slippers so it's good to have indoor shoes. Despite the inclement weather the room was very hot so we had to leave all the windows open all day to cool it down.

We have stayed in many 4 & 5* hotels around the UK and Europe with our dogs, and have no objection to paying an additional charge for cleaning etc, but in general you do at least get a little something for this however there wasn't even a water bowl provided.

I have no idea what the other rooms are like, but it did feel like we were getting a second class experience for the same price tag as everyone else. Definitely worth a trip to the spa and probably good for a single night stay after a nice meal, but it's not a hotel and there are better pet friendly hotels out there.

Overall I thought there's so much potential there, but they just missed the mark though lack of thought and attention to detail.

Date of stay: July 2023
1  Thank VirginiaShetland
Reviewed 24 January 2024

Me and my husband booked a spa package with treatments, use of the spa, a two course meal in the coach house and an over night stay here for our 11th wedding anniversary. It was absolutely fantastic and I’m so pleased we did.
From the moment we came the staff were brilliant! Professional, friendly, and they go above and beyond offering the best customer service. We were welcomed with a mocktail made by the lovely georgie. And they were tremendous!
I had an Indian head massage by Sarah, and my husband had a back message by Sharnelle… wow they were amazing! The whole experience was unreal from the treatment, to the aftercare… 5 star! We then spend an evening in the spa using the brilliant facilities, outdoor pool, outdoor hot tub, sauna, steam room, cold plunge… beautiful, so relaxing in amazing surroundings. Our evening meal hosted fantastic food, absolutely amazing!!! We finished off with a fantastic continental breakfast. I would 100% recommend this to anyone. We will most definitely be back for all areas. Thank you very much.

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2024

Having visited for a spa evening in autumn, we decided to book the 2 night festive package checking in on Christmas Eve and couldn't be happier that we decided to spend Christmas at Middleton. Hotels of this style and quality are quite limited in the north, especially at a reasonable price point and we are glad to have found it!

We booked a spa package on arrival and although it doesn't have an abundance of facilities compared to other spa hotels in the north, it's honestly one of the most relaxing I've been to. The hotel limit the number of guests in the spa at any one time so it's such a tranquil and quiet place to spend the day - the outdoor pool is amazing regardless of the weather and the relation areas are so cozy, with staff popping over regularly to see if you need refreshments. They also opened the spa for hotel guests on Xmas morning which was the perfect way to spend the morning after a run around the woodland trail.

We stayed in Dairy room 5 which had a log burner as well as a lovely freestanding bath and outdoor hot tub and all of the in room comforts you'd expect from a luxury hotel. The package we booked included all of our meals, often with champagne thrown in and lots of little extras we weren't expecting. I won't spoil the surprises for anyone looking to book for Christmas this year but we felt that although not cheap, the package was really good value for money.

The food quality and service in both onsite restaurants was very good and any drinks we purchased on top were reasonable too. I have read other reviews regarding the breakfast inclusions which are normally limited to the buffet and a couple of a la carte choices - we were able to order anything we wanted as part of the Xmas package but the buffet options would have been more than enough, there's lots of choice and they are also super helpful with tricky dietary requirements.

The only slight negative was that we left one of our Xmas gifts in the bathroom, flagged it with the hotel within hours of checkout and were told it hadn't been handed in by housekeeping which was a bit of a disappointment but all in all, a great stay, lovely staff, charming hotel with beautiful grounds - we'll definitely be returning.

Date of stay: December 2023