“An excellent B&B”
Review of Streonshalh B&B

Streonshalh B&B
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Clean fresh rooms, comfy bed, very helpful and friendly owners, lovely breakfast, probably the best B & B I have stayed in! The village is small so you cant help but be near everything. Our party walked some of the footpaths around RHB. Top notch. Well recommended!

• Stayed: December 2012
There are newer reviews for Streonshalh B&B

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I've realised, nearly half a year on, that I haven't reviewed this B&B yet- and it deserves some extra publicity! My other half and I stayed there for only one night but next day we were wishing we could have stayed for a lot longer. The location is very picturesque - high up overlooking Robin Hood's Bay with some rooms having sea views. The building itself is very attractive and once inside, you are not disappointed - we had one of the sea view rooms which was a very good size and had stylish, tasteful and perfectly put together decor - outstanding for a B&B and on a level of a boutique hotel. The bathroom boasted a fantastic shower, we also had a mini fridge and various other finishing touches which made our stay just that little bit more special. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of storage space if you wanted to stay for a longer period of time. Our hosts were brilliant - we received a detailed 'introduction' to our room with explanation of how various things worked and useful information about the area, places to eat etc - a great personal touch. Breakfast was delicious - all local produce, fresh and generous, with home baked scones and flapjack to take away for the day. We were recommended a pub to have our evening meal at - unfortunately I can't remember the name now but I hope some other travellers will have mentioned it - excellent food and atmosphere too.
All in all - what a gem of a place - it will always hold special memories for us and we will be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

December 2009 was lovely...rustic, charismatic & befitting the Victorian theme of the place. T'was a lovely welcome by the lady of the house...with a lovely breakfast & 10 out of 10 for everything!
December 2012...another story, I'm afraid. Bedroom 2 put together like lego with draughty windows, fridge sounding like a generator, bathroom sink put in at an angle, shower door didn't close, wallpaper put over past wallpaper, had to stuff tissues in the windows to stop the draughts...We have photos but will keep to ourselves!
OKish breakfast, have stayed at several B&B's in RHB and won't be going back here.
The worst place we've been to...

Room Tip: Look around at what there is in Robin Hoods Bay for £75...look at them all first. We assumed...wron...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
JasperRHB, Owner at Streonshalh B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our B&B. We value the opinions of our guests.

You stated that you stayed in the same room 3 years ago, although after checking our records we could find no evidence of your visit. If you had stayed with us before in that room, you would have noticed we have upgraded the bed to a super king size, installed a flat screen TV/DVD and enlarged the shower room considerably. We have painted the room a different colour (not repapered). Why would we invest our time and money de-grading our rooms?

We were aware the shower door had dropped slightly and needed a gentle coaxing to close, but it now snaps snugly into place.

However, it remains a mystery to us why the loose screw was sitting unattached to anything between the blinds, in fact upon cleaning the room after your departure, we first noticed its existence. We can only deduce that it was strategically positioned, perhaps to enhance your photo no.6 on your review.

The fridge is a little noisy when first switched on until it reaches the set temperature and when used for purpose, emits a low hum. Obviously it was just switched on for a test.

The 'sink at an angle' is used universally in the plumbing trade and commonly known as the self-explanatory 'corner sink'.

The galeforce wind that howled around the Bay on the night in question was enough to test any roof, let alone the double glazing. The painstaking effort employed by yourselves to plug the groove of the window frame with tissue paper and force a magazine into the other window in order to photograph your evidence, frankly beggars belief. We don't profess to be an hotel, we are a B&B, it is our home and we felt it had been violated after your stay. Surely, if the room and facilities were so unbearable, why not address these issues to us at any time during the afternoon and evening you occupied the room? We would happily have offered you a full refund, found you alternative accommodation in the village and bid you a heartfelt farewell.

It was rather upsetting to receive your 2 page email a couple of hours after your departure, a truly offensive and defamatory piece. I won't bore readers with the minutiae of its content, suffice to say, amongst a huge list of niggles, it stated our Christmas garland on the stairs was a health & safety risk, the decor was not to their liking (we have used heritage colours to compliment the age of the property) and our personal favourite, our new oblong plates for serving the breakfast made it difficult to get to the sausages - I jest not.

Finally, we did have our faith in human nature restored when the rather more positive review after this one was posted, more akin to the majority of reviews we have received, posted by grateful, satisfied customers.

Baffled owners at Streonshalh

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Had a great time here the first weekend in December. Lovely bedrooms plenty of room and a comfy bed, lots of tea and coffee and chocolates and bottle of water was a nice touch. Breakfast was one of the best I have ever tasted and delicious home made scones to take out with you for your day ahead. Very welcoming hosts and will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Second stay at Streonshalh (early November).
I have stayed at several b&b's at the bay both at the top and by the dock, and the streonshalh is the best by a long long way.
The owners can not do enough for you.
In fact its better than any b&b (and hotels) that I have stayed at in Whitby, they have a lot to learn from the Streonshalh.
A.Gash
Normandy, France

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Great stay here, sadly only for 1 night. Terrific, friendly staff - nothing too much trouble. Can't believe a B & B in a building of this age is in such good condition. Must be the cleanest B & B we've ever stayed in. Great breakfast and fresh baked take away scones!
Recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Top floor has sea view but lower rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I decided to book a trip to Robin Hood's Bay following a tip from one of my UK colleagues, and was charmed into booking my 5 night stay at Streonshalh by the lovely reviews on Tripadvisor. I just love it when the reviews are spot on :)

When people gush about the breakfasts Debbie cooks up, they are not exaggerating. I had the full English (tried it with both regular and veggie sausage), the salmon w/scrambled eggs and the pancakes. The full English and the pancakes were probably the best I have ever had. Every day they also provide scones or flapjacks that you can bring with you on your hikes, the latter of which are brilliant to boost your energy for that last flight of stairs on a strenous hike.

I stayed in room 7, a single bedroom on the top floor with a lovely view of the bay. The room was small, but comfortable and fitted with everything I needed including a small fridge for my wine :) The water warms up properly in the shower, and the water pressure is decent (which is not very common in english B&Bs). The wireless internet is reliable and quite quick. There's a store a few houses down from the B&B, with a very limited selection of wares, but it covers the necessities.

Kevin recommended several walks in the area, and I did the three-hour hike to Whitby along Cleveland Way (cliff path), and the Cinder Path to Ravenscar coming back along the beach. They have a table of the tide times that will help you time your walks to avoid difficulties in passing certain points along the way. For Ravenscar, I would recommend you take the Cinder path there, as it has a pleasant but not exhausting incline without stairs, and then it's mostly downhill going back along the beach. Taking the beach path there sets you up for a quite steep climb to get up to Ravenscar, which might not be very motivating if the path is muddy.

For food, I would recommend you try the chinese beef special at the Bay Hotel (if it's still on), but stay clear of their lasagne which isn't very special. Ye Dolphin does a decent burger, but the portion is huge so no need for a starter (this goes for all meals I had all week, by the way). The Wayfarer Bistro is closed both Mondays _and_ Tuesdays for the winter season, although the sign outside only specifies Mondays. Again, their portions are huge but the food was quite tasty (no need to go for the main sized bang bang chicken, it gets to be too much halfway through). All of the pubs in town have some very nice ales on tap, and I completely fell in love with the recurring Best.

From the moment I contacted Debbie and Kevin until I left, I felt highly valued as a customer, and the level of personalised service provided takes this business to a different level. By far the most pleasant stay I have had in any hotel or B&B in the UK or anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you travel solo, I'd ask for room 7 :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo