“Poor Customer Service”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Whilst visiting Robin Hoods Bay yesterday we decided to go into the Victoria Hotel for a meal. On entering the bar it was clear there was a wedding reception happening in one of the function rooms which made the bar very busy. We waited in a queue at the bar to order our drinks, but it was very close the entrance and therefore very busy. There were staff coming at you from all angles so you were constantly trying to move out of the way for them. Finally managed to get a drink and we sat down at the table to view the menus. We were really excited at the wide range of food on offer and the four of us couldn't decide what to have as there were so many nice things. We finally decided and queued again at the bar to order food. When it was our turn to be served i asked the barman if the meal i wanted off the specials board came with veg. He was very rude in his response answering ' well i don't know, i don't work in the kitchen!!' .. this obviously upset me and my response was along the lines of ' well would you like to ring the kitchen and find out!' ... he didn't .. he just said that it was clear and that the food on the specials board came with what was written on there and that it doesn't mention veg. The manner in which he spoke to me was disgraceful and made me feel like it was my fault that I didn't know. When i said that his attitude wasn't great he suggested we could go elsewhere for our food. This was in a half joking way but he had already overstepped the mark so this was inappropriate. I asked him if he went to Saddam Hussains school of customer service, at this point he realised how rude he had been and tried again to lighten the mood with a half hearted apology. After again telling him how shocked i was at his level of service i ordered my food with a side of veg, sat down and waited for my friends to order. The food arrived, and it actually came with veg so then i had an extra portion of veg. I called the barman over to advise him for future reference the food on the specials board came with veg. He responded by telling me he had said he was sorry. Anyway, the waiter and waitress were a breath of fresh air, giving great customer service. I enjoyed my meal but my friends said theirs was average at best with very little taste. What a shame! The menu was great, the waiting staff were great but it was hugely let down by the barman and the quality of food. There are much nicer places to eat in Robin Hood's Bay ... go seek them out ...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Glors1974
victoriarhb, Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thankyou for choosing to review us .Firstly I am sorry about the behaviour and attitude of a member of my team,this is certainly not how this Hotel operates nor trains staff.Since this incident the member of staff that was on a trial with us is no longer.Rest assured being a small family business in a tourist area,customer service is top of our agenda.
Hope to see you return to The Victoria for some good old Yorkshire hospitality.
Thanks for choosing to review us.

There are newer reviews for Victoria Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stopped at Victoria hotel on the 21st July fior 2 nights and had a fab time.This is our second time. We stayed in room 16 which had a king size bed and a slipper bath, very romantic.The hotel is so full of character, and a joy to stay in. Breakfast was great with a wide variety of food to choose from, cooked to perfection. The staff at the hotel were a credit to the hotel, very polite and couldn't do enough for you.
The hotel is at the top of the bay, and you have to go down a steep to get to the lovely beach. Plenty of quaint shops and tea rooms and 3 pubs!! The Dolphin has live music and we had a nice meal there too.
We definitely will return to Robin Hoods Bay and would stop again at Victoria Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ali P

Thankyou for your lovely review.We are constantly looking to improve everything we do here.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thanks for all your kind comments.
Thankyou.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel sits at the top of a very steep decline (30%) road which leads down into the main Bay Area which is known locally as the old town. The hotel serves breakfast until noon, I had what can only be described as a feast, good food well cooked and seasoned delivered with very friendly service in the gardens over looking the bays' stunning scenery. I can recommend this place.

Additionally on a separate occasion after a visit to the old town one struggles , as everyone does, to get back up the hill , and there at the top sits the hotel selling some great beers , bliss.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 31 July 2014

the rooms were just so full of character clean the staff so lovely the viwes out of this world! the food lovely so much chioce and lovely.could of stayed for weeks value for money would of paid alot more to stay there

Room Tip: look no were eles this is the best place in the area
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claresmiff
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were married here a few weeks ago.

Andrew was aware of our wish to have the ceremony outdoors but informed us that the hour by hour weather forecast wasnt looking great, so he made sure that the sea view room would be prepped as we as outside.

It was dry when we set off and biblical when we arrived

We ended up getting married indoors but the weather cleared soon after , so we have 2 sets of photos, one inside and one out AMAZING

We didnt eat here but for a wedding back drop there is none better, even our photograper said the same.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just had a wonderful week camping in Robin Hoods Bay and ate here twice. Both meals were absolutely lovely. Great service, friendly staff and decent prices. Would recommend the mushrooms in garlic, cream and white wine sauce starter followed by the scampi!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed in Robin Hoods Bay for three nights last week, and had the hotel recommended to us, despite the fact that we had several drinks in their bar, the staff informed me that I could not be given the pass word for the wifi because I was not a resident, I found this very annoying and petty in this day and age where nearly everywhere you visit these days has complimentary wifi.
I would suggest that you perhaps consider letting all your customers have access and not just the ones staying with you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Goathland
Wrea Head Hall
Wrea Head Hall
#1 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!