Whilst visiting Robin Hoods Bay yesterday we decided to go into the Victoria Hotel for a meal. On entering the bar it was clear there was a wedding reception happening in one of the function rooms which made the bar very busy. We waited in a queue at the bar to order our drinks, but it was very close the entrance and therefore very busy. There were staff coming at you from all angles so you were constantly trying to move out of the way for them. Finally managed to get a drink and we sat down at the table to view the menus. We were really excited at the wide range of food on offer and the four of us couldn't decide what to have as there were so many nice things. We finally decided and queued again at the bar to order food. When it was our turn to be served i asked the barman if the meal i wanted off the specials board came with veg. He was very rude in his response answering ' well i don't know, i don't work in the kitchen!!' .. this obviously upset me and my response was along the lines of ' well would you like to ring the kitchen and find out!' ... he didn't .. he just said that it was clear and that the food on the specials board came with what was written on there and that it doesn't mention veg. The manner in which he spoke to me was disgraceful and made me feel like it was my fault that I didn't know. When i said that his attitude wasn't great he suggested we could go elsewhere for our food. This was in a half joking way but he had already overstepped the mark so this was inappropriate. I asked him if he went to Saddam Hussains school of customer service, at this point he realised how rude he had been and tried again to lighten the mood with a half hearted apology. After again telling him how shocked i was at his level of service i ordered my food with a side of veg, sat down and waited for my friends to order. The food arrived, and it actually came with veg so then i had an extra portion of veg. I called the barman over to advise him for future reference the food on the specials board came with veg. He responded by telling me he had said he was sorry. Anyway, the waiter and waitress were a breath of fresh air, giving great customer service. I enjoyed my meal but my friends said theirs was average at best with very little taste. What a shame! The menu was great, the waiting staff were great but it was hugely let down by the barman and the quality of food. There are much nicer places to eat in Robin Hood's Bay ... go seek them out ...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Victoria Hotel is situated in the most prominent position in Robin Hoods Bay overlooking the bay itself. Built in 1897 purposely as a hotel. It boasts large guest rooms, all en-suite with the majority having a sea view. It has a sea view restaurant, coffee shop, public bar, children's room and serves meals throughout the day. This family run business is a gem on the east coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Victoria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria Hotel Robin Hoods Bay
- Victoria Hotel Yorkshire, UK - North Yorkshire