“Lovely, but a little bit tired”

White Owl Guest House + Holiday Apartments
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Robin Hood's Bay
White Owl Guest House + Holiday Apartments
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Just returned from a birthday weekend at The White Owl. Stayed in the Seafarers Apartment which we knew was going to be small when we booked it, and small it is!! Having said that - it was perfectly adequate for our weekend stay although could have done with a good dust and a bigger telly. It's ok but a bit tired and run down, but it is dog friendly which is brilliant.
Ann, the owner is helpful and the cooked breakfast was nice but felt that it was a bit steep at £6 for what we got.
The summerhouse in the garden was lovely and we spent a couple of afternoons and evenings after dinner relaxing in there with a bottle of wine. The garden is a bit overgrown and could do with the paths to the summerhouse and patio table tidying up.
The White Owl is perfectly placed at the topd of RHB with fantastic views over the sea from the garden. It's also next door to Wayfarers Bistro and just up the road from the Victoria Hotel - so very handily placed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank troutie
AnnHiggins, Owner at White Owl Guest House + Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Birthday Weekend here at the White Owl and you certainly seemed to do so!

Many thanks for your comments. A new flat screen TV with DVD is (and already was) in hand for the Sefarer but, of course, it can't be too big!

Sorry that you did not feel able to mention the dust to me! As you know, we had occasion to be away for a few days ourselves prior to your visit and, indeed, arrived back very shortly before you did. Although the Seafarer had been left ready for you, obviously some dust had inevitably settled during our absence. I still can't understand why you did not mention it to me - after all we had several nice chats, e.g. when I was helping you order a local take-away meal and when I delivered your beautiful flowers to you - arranging vases etc. This issue could have so easily been rectified at that time.

So pleased that you enjoyed our Summer House - yes, the plants do need some attention and indeed, you can rest assured that now Autumn is on its way, my husband will be out there, trimming, pruning, re-organizing etc. but I would just mention that he did, in fact, design the garden to give a 'jungly overgrown feel', hece the many cordilines, ferns, palms, etc. Our tropical plants do indeed seem to have enjoyed the warm sunshine of the last few weeks and have all had great growth spurts!

Once again, so pleased that enjoyed your Birthday Weekend. All good wishes to you both - Ann H. p.s. Many thanks for the chocolates.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We recently stayed here for our summer holidays after reading all the good reviews. What a letdown! We stayed in the Bayview apartment upstairs. It was quite small for a family of four, dingy and quite a smell of damp. There was a teeny kitchen which I could only just turn round in, the telly was a bit hit and miss with the signal coming and going,the double beds in each room were like sleeping on hard planks, and my husband never got a full night's sleep which was bad for him. Downstairs the shower room was actually a cupboard and was really bad for damp. The best room was the toilet, which could get a wifi signal and had obviously been done up recently. There was no radio, cd or docking station for an ipod so this made for very dull evenings as the tv wasn't always working either and there were no board games or dvds as there have been in other places we have stayed.Overall, the apartment wasn't the great place that we were led to believe from the other reviews that we read. Even the owner Anne wasn't very hospitable either, as it took us 2 days to get a dishcloth from her and when we went to say cheerio we did as we were told and rung the bell in the hall and knocked on the wee door marked Private and still no answer! so we left around 8.30 (not early for us) and never saw the lady again so overall, not the best holiday and we shall not be back to this establishment again I'm afraid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank family25traveller
AnnHiggins, Owner at White Owl Guest House + Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in our Bay View Apartment. I am, needless to say, upset and concerned regarding your comments. This has come as a bit of a shock to both my husband and myself after running our business successfully for 33 years, with many satisfied customers!

When you arrived and I showed you into the apartment, you displayed no sign of dissastisfaction whatsoever. I stressed, as I always do, that if there was anything you wanted or anything you needed help with, not to hesitate to ask. In view of this, I am really surprised that you did not approach us regarding all your concerns. The only time I was approached was on your second day when your husband came and asked for a dishcloth and a measuring jug required for your dietary needs - these were brought to your door within a matter of minutes - the time it took for me to get them out of the cupboard! Other than that, I did not see either of you so I hardly feel that I was 'not very hospitable'! However, we did see your son unsupervised in the garden and in the surrounding area on more than one occasion and my husband came to your apartment to contact you with concerns about his safety, in particular with regard to the electric pumps in our garden ponds. However, despite knocking on your door and hearing someone inside, no one answered the door.

I am so sorry that you did not feel that our apartment met with your expectations and hope that if you decide to visit our beautiful part of the world again, you will be able to find some accommodation more suitable for your family's requirements.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Just stayed at the White Owl for our wedding anniversary and we had the Garden Room which was the downstairs front room. Had a lovely peaceful stay, with a lovely view of the Bay and the tranquil front garden area was very calming. We chose to stay here because we could take our dog. Host was very friendly and we had a lovely breakfast delivered to our room which was absolutely lovely. All was clean and tidy and we could have stayed longer. I can recommend this guest house and I would definitely go again should the opportunity arise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louise W
AnnHiggins, Owner at White Owl Guest House + Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

So pleased that you chose to stay at the White Owl to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary and many thanks for your kind remarks. With kind regards to you both - Ann H p.s. sorry that I am late in posting this but I have only just recently learned how to activate the Response facility!

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We recently stayed in the Garden Room and I was delighted with our stay. It is a friendly and accessible guest house, very well located just a short walk to the old village. The room itself is peaceful and private and Ann's cooked breakfasts were of the highest order. Bed is comfy, room has a fridge and microwave and tea/coffee facilities. Our little dog was made very welcome and there is a parking space for the room (very useful for this area). Overall, would definitely return, thanks Ann, for your hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
AnnHiggins, Owner at White Owl Guest House + Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Really pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our Garden Room and many thanks for all your lovely comments. Sorry that I have not responded before now but I have only just learned how to do it!! With Kind Regards to you both - Ann H

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Arived at the white owl fairly late Friday evening to a friendly welcome by Anne the owner, who showed us & our two dogs to our room. The seafarers apartment which was clean tidy and full of character with everything we needed, we felt very much at home . The B&B is in a very good location and are looking forward to a return visit soon, we would recommend staying at the White Owl ,

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a spur of the moment decision on May Bank Holiday weekend. I think this was the last room available in the whole of Robin Hood's Bay as the weather was so good.
We stayed in the garden room and although the big bay window overlooks the main street it still felt very private.
The room ncluded car parking to the rear of the building which was really convenient.
Ann, the owner, was very friendly & helpful.
Payment is by cash or cheque but the shop a few doors up does cash-back so you don't need to go miles for a cash point.
The room had everything we needed - comfy bed, lots of space, fridge, en-suite - even a microwave!
There weren't many toiletries provided but as we hadn't expected to be staying that night we should have been better prepared.
As the name, The White Owl, might suggest there is a bird theme running through the property & our room had lots of bird-related ornaments & plates on display which all added to it's charm.
A really pretty little property with a lovely garden and only a few minutes walk from the bay.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank LiPoPea
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We recently stayed for the 2nd time at the White Owl, in the Balcony apartment, lovely location and fantastic views over the Bay. The hosts Ann and David were very kind, especially as my husband was not very well when we were there, but they were very helpful. The garden is lovely, as is the Summerhouse, perfect for relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple