“Mostly good but a few niggles.”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Good for: View
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We called in for an evening meal but the restaurant was fully booked so we ate in the bar. We had fish and chips and the fish was one of the best I have eaten, lovely white fish in a light crispy batter with no greasy after taste. We would certainly eat here again but would try the restaurant next time as the bar was noisy and crowded and did not lend itself to fine dining, hence the choice of fish and chips!
We actually returned the next day and had a cream tea mid morning in the sun with the excellent views over the bay.
The niggles?
The bar was crowded and with only one member of staff serving it was time consuming ordering drinks and then ordering food and having to queue each time somewhat broke up any sense of going out to enjoy a meal. I came away with the feeling I had spent more time standing at the bar than sitting with my wife.
The decor in the bar and surrounding areas looked very tired and a little depressing and seemed to reflect the steady decline of many seaside towns even though RHB always seems to be busy whenever I visit, summer or winter.
It was perhaps unusual on a sunny morning to have garden full of customers and may have caught the staff by surprise but there was no indication from the garden how to get served and on entering the hotel, even though there were many signs about nothing pointed you in the right direction to the area serving teas. Having recently returned from a stay in Italy I could not help but compare their attitude to customer service to the staff at this hotel. They did nothing wrong but I felt I was having to do all the work in finding someone to serve me and then wait in line whilst one person made all the drinks and scones etc and then carry it myself to the table in the garden. We could improve so much.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The restaurant was busy mid week! So we ate in the bar. Quite a wait for food but we were 7 in our party. Troncon of sea trout with Scottish mussels and white wine sauce, samphire and separate vegs too - absolutely delicious and very good value. Very expensive large glass of white wine - £5.30- seemed excessive. Long waits at bar as understaffed.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had a lovely meal
Excellently cooked and presented ,
Sea Bass on a mash and spinach cake in a crab and champaign sauce
Food was excellent but the lack of service staff was a disappointment as after we had finished our dessert we waited for at least 25 mins for this to be cleared in the end we got up left the restaurant and went to reception to ask for the bill!
The staff need more management leadership
I have been in this industry a long time

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed in the hotel and I will review that separately but I was shocked to see some of the restaurant reviews as I could not fault the decor, view, ambience attentive staff, quality and presentation of food. Please try it. As you will see I have written over one hundred reviews and try to be honest. We had the pate and scallops for starter, both fresh and tasty. I then had salmon with prawns, my husband had the grilled plaice, everything great, even the vegetables sweet and well cooked. Although we hardly had space we tried the creme brûlée, presented with ice cream, little biscuits and strawberry. Delicious.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We visited last week needing lunch and a nice drink. We had both at a very reasonable price. There's a good choice of beers on offer and the service was good with drinks served efficiently and our food order taken. We ordered cod and chips with mushy peas. This was served in good time .The fish was really tasty and we had a very enjoyable meal.