“What a way to end the C2C! Great ambience and clean rooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Robin Hood's Bay
Smugglers Bistro and Accommodation
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We finished our Coast to Coast walk and were so excited to see the Smugglers at the very end of the walk. The entire building is quirky and t the owner was fantastic. We stayed in room 5 at the top of the stairs, and my husband is over 6 feet tall so it was funny to see him bending over to walk down the hallway and open the door, but once in he could stand up straight and the room was nice and large. The shower and toilet were small, but who in the world could expect anything different from such an old building. The Smugglers had so much character. We booked dinner at 6pm (which was a good call b/c they were completely booked for the evening), and when we asked to change the reservation from 2 to 4, they were incredibly accommodating. Food was phenomenal. Cajun salmon was delicious. The ambience is lovely. Small, intimate with candles.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying at the Smugglers. BUT know what to expect. It is a beautiful building with history, and you aren't going to get what you would in certain hotels. However, I wouldn't want that!

Loved our last night on the C2C, and the location and dining made it that much more memorable!.
Thank you!

Room Tip: Room 5 large!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2013

My patner and I stayed for three nights for my partners birthday on the 17th of june 2013

We were upgraded free of charge to the apartment as new beds were being installed in the upper floor rooms and painting was to commence shortly

We were extremely grateful as the apartment was large and airy and the bed was to die for , so comfy !!!!!

The breakfast was wonderful and the service was very warm and friendly ,
The lady could not be more helpful both on arrival and during our stay
We were only sorry we didn't stay longer and sample the food in the bistro

We definitely intend to return in the future and will most certainly be sampling the food then

We would both recommend this quirky little b+b to family and friends and the village and the ghost walk are a must for any one staying in the area

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Reading the reviews is not a "true" account of the rooms provided.

Room was small and at the top of the building, shower was ridculous and not safe !!

We both did not bother with a shower, which was dissapointing as this was our last stay and a small room greeted us. Our parents had a similar experience as they stayed in a room below.

However, its location is at the end of our fantastic challenge and journey for almost 2 weeks on foot.

Location excellent as it`s only a short walk from Wainright`s bar.

We booked dinner downstairs and this was fantastic, associated with a great selection of wines.

Breakfast excellent and the owner ( lady ) was welcoming and professional.

Although the room was poor along with the amentities, it was an average stay with a great dinner to celebrate a great experience !!

Room not value for money.

Dinner was professionally cooked and supported with a great slection of wines.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barry C
lisa W, Public Relations Manager at Smugglers Bistro and Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal in Smugglers Bistro, how ever I feel your rating is very harsh to say you had such a good meal. As regards your stay in The Boathouse Rooms we are confused?? There is no booking on the date you mention in your name in fact we were decorating the hall way so no one was in?? Also no matter how you look at the upper rooms the rooms below you mention are a studio that is huge and a very large super king room, yet again we are confused? The Boathouse has two beautiful rooms on the upper floor both of which are very popular and have extensive sea views. One is admittedly smaller that the other but is requested on a repeat basis many times. All our showers are standard cubicles with glass doors and new electric power showers in so we are even more confused as to how this can be dangerous???
I have check our info sheets and spoken to the owner and staff and no one has made a complaint about a room? With so much confusion (as to who you are when you and your parents stayed etc) maybe it would have been better if you had stayed with us and were not happy to mention it at the time instead of giving a score of 1 ??? for what you say was a good meal !

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Me and my husband stayed in the Boat House apartment for 2 x nights June 2013.
The apartment is lovely. Spacious and great amenities.
The location was ideal. Close to the slip and the pubs / shops. For those going to Robin Hoods Bay be aware of the steep hill. If you can manage that, the steps to the accommodation wont be a problem!
Bed knobs and broomsticks kind of bed (!) en-suit, 2 x TVs, sofa bed, SKY television, Lovely period features. The bed was really comfortable - we both slept really well.
Brilliant kitchen with Fridge, oven, microwave and hob - ideal for a long stay.
Then place was clean and we really liked the basic décor - not too much. But we have been told the are soon going to re-decorate, which will be nice as there is an old fireplace hidden in the wardrobe!
We didn't have breakfast as this is not included in the price for the apartment
On our first night we went to the Smugglers for dinner - PLEASE BOOK! It was packed early on and stayed busy all night.
I had Fish Chowder to start which was amazing. Light and flavoursome - and the didn't scrimp on the fish! Husband had mussels - and the portion was a good size and the tasted great in creamy white wine sauce.
For main, I ordered Fish pie topped with mussels and crevettes. I have to say, I wish I was told how big the portion of mussels and crevettes on top of the pie would be. There were more than in my husbands starter. This was a lot and I couldn't actually eat them - I wish I had ordered the pie without. The pie was stuffed full of fish and peas with good mash - the only thing I would say, was that it was slightly bland and I am use to fish pie with a white sauce - this was quite heavy with no sauce.
My husband had cod with chorizo on pasta with a light sauce. This was fab! Could not fault it.
The staff are lovely - very friendly and available when you need them, but not standing over you.
We loved it and will be going back as soon as we can!
We really do recommend the accommodation and the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We were sad to leave ~ definitely recommend this quirky ~ cool ~ establishment. My Son and Daughter~in~law in the Apartment ~ myself in room 4 where the sea view were fantastic!! Greeted when we arrived by a lovely young lady and shown to our rooms. Breakfasts were delicious ~ we were impressed by the young gentleman serving. Location was just purr~fect.Lisa the owner was delightful ~ making sure everything was satisfactory. Running a Guesthouse myself it was a pleasure sampling what is on offer elsewhere. It was a shame we ran out of time to eat in the Restaurant on the evening ~ the Menu looked really good. Thankyou for a memorable weekend. Keep smiling Mo ~ Ben & Elle .........

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
lisa W, Owner at Smugglers Bistro and Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We have been to the Boathouse a couple of times now, more recently for Valentines, and have subsequently booked for April, what can i say? the food is glorious,particulary the seafood and fish, so fresh and tasty, and being from a fishing port, the way to know its fresh is that it does not smell of fish!!
The portions are plentiful, and everything you could want is catered for, the Host Lisa, is a lovely lady who certainly knows how to run a business, she is friendly, informative and goes the extra mile for you, should you need it!
The rooms are comfy and clean, exactly what you need, the building is over 300 years old so, expect to have not as much room as in a newer place, but in my opinion that adds to the history and charm of the place. We loved every minute there and would certainly recommend

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Been meaning to write this review since August last year. The food was simply devine, I can't praise Smugglers enough, just wish I lived nearer! I had the best tasting piece of plaice ever, it was beautifully cooked, fresh and really well presented. My husband had the most delicious mussels ever. The atmosphere was buzzing, the staff were attentive. Overall, they had excellent knowledge when asked about ingredients on certain dishes from the menu. The location is wonderful, can't wait to return again. Thank you for a great evening...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

So pleased you enjoyed Smugglers and Boathouse Rooms look forward to seeing you again soon