“Lovely food, a shame about the under-whelming welcome”

The Flask Inn Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We ate here when staying at Grouse Hill campsite.

I feel bad giving this place an average review, but when we arrived in the door we didn't feel welcome at all. Having been ignored for five minutes I had to ask if it was OK to sit in the dining area for food. Once sitting, the serving staff were very friendly, and couldn't do enough. The meals were lovely and large portions. Dessert was really nice and contrary to other reviews I found the choice adequate.

Following a nice meal, again the woman behind the bar ignored us again. I'm not sure she knows what a bad impression this leaves with you, but despite the good food I would think twice before going to eat there again which is a shame.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Until last week, i hadnt visited this pub for 3 years, but as we were staying at the near by caravan park, we found it ideal if we didnt want to drive in the evening. We certainly noticed that things had changed from our last visit. The family room on the back is no longer there, and there has been a definite improvement with the food. Theres a large choice of starters, a smaller choice of mains and there was a blackboard which gave a small choice of deserts. As the desert choice was on a blackboard i expected that it would change every 2 or 3 days, but it did stay the same all week. One suggestion i would make would be to limit the starter selection and offer a wider main course choice, and change the desert blackboard a couple of times a week.
The first evening we ate there i chose the home made beef burger, and i have to say this was one of the best burgers i have ever tasted. On another occasions i chose the trio of sauages with mash and red onion gravy. However the meal was over whelmed by the mash - way too much.
Improvments are clearly still ongoing. I would really like to give this a 3.5 rating as i feel it is just a little more than average but not quite a 4 rating yet. However, i havent got any complaints and for good honest pub food you cant really go wrong.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Tried the Flask again after avoiding it for many years. Read the reviews on trip advisor and decided to give it another try. The waitress was lovely, 10 of us dined my food and 5 others where happy with the quality the 2 that had the scampi said it tasted smokey, other 2 one with pie one with a burger just not that happy. We paid with voucher from Yorkshire coast radio that gave us £30 of food for £15 we had to let them know we would be using these when we booked. I wonder if that could be why the portions where ridiculously small, about 15 chips a table spoon of peas on each meal.2 people out of our party went to the chip shop after leaving the pub. I thought the voucher promotion was probably used to get people to come back to the Flask and start using it again, we won't expected good pub grub but portion size was very mean.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My family and I were travelling back to Scarborough from Whitby about 6pm on a Thursday evening in August and decided to stop for evening meal at the Flask Inn.

I've always liked the remote Old Style Coaching Inn type of Pub so was was looking forward to giving it a try. The Pub was not very busy but the lady behind the bar was quick to explain that there were 2 large parties who had just arrived and that we may have to wait sometime for our meal. We had had a great day in Whitby and I didn't fancy getting back in the car to drive to Scarborough with the hope of finding something decent and having to wait 'who knows how long' for a meal.
The barmaid took the situation on board and said ' I think we can prepare your order first'

Now I'm sure there's many a Pub that would happily have me wait with my family, buy a drink or two and hope that my children would not 'Kick Off' because they were hungry.

Top marks to the Flask Inn for Customer Service and Quality of Food. The wait time was less than 15 minutes and everything was spot on.

Don't know when we will return to the Lovely Yorkshire Coast again but when we do the Flask Inn is one place we'll want to visit again.

1  Thank Matt W
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The food was amazing and prepared fresh the staff were very hard working, and we loved the amazing atmosphere in the pub