“Ignore the negative reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles

Smugglers
Price range: US$13 - US$44
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Smugglers Bistro and Bar is a candle-lit Bistro and bar. Situated just meters from the dock the smuggling history of the bay is brought to life in our wonderfully romantic restaurant. Specialising in fresh seafood and locally sourced meats we offer a range of dishes. Our cosy Bistro and wine bar offers a range on Gins and fine wines in an adult only area.
York
“Ignore the negative reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked a table here as part of the surprise weekend I arranged for my husbands birthday. We visit Robin Hood Bay regularly and we've always thought it would be nice to eat at the Smugglers when staying over. After booking read some rather negative reviews but a friend told me she had had a lovely meal there so left the booking. I am so pleased we did it was lovely. The meal was excellent, the service great, the place is very quaint and has a romantic atmosphere. We both really enjoyed our evening and would not hesitate to go again.

2 Thank mazdalaydee
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for keeping your booking. I always think word of mouth is the best way to know . I also thank your friend for spreading the word for us. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to you recommending us to others and any future visits you may make.

London, United Kingdom
“Book”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This restaurant was very busy but we had booked but had to eat slightly earlier than we would normally. Food was excellent, the lager awful but the Rioja top drawer so good all round.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Bobbelar
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put an honest review on. We look forward to seeking you again soon
Chester, United Kingdom
“Didn't feel very welcome”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My experience was back in the second week of April 2014. We booked a 6 O'clock table but unfortunately we mistakenly thought our reservation was at 6:30. Our mistake entirely, however I still cannot forget how we felt like we were being told off for getting mixed up. We arrived at 6:15 and said we were a little early only for a blond lady who was running the restaurant that evening to curtly tell us that we were "not early....your late!". Then we were reminded we would have to be out by 8pm. An hour and 45 mins would have been fine for a meal so I'm not sure why we were then rushed to order and our food came thick and fast with the mains hitting the table less than a minute after the starters were cleared. I watched as other tables were seated and the specials were explained to them. I had no idea there even were specials as we were sat and asked to order without anyone mentioning them. After the mains were cleared the bill was brought to us without us asking. No desserts were offered nor tea, coffee, or liqueurs. We were stunned as to how we were being treated by the blonde lady all because we were 15 minutes late! By 7pm we had our coats back on and we're leaving. It was the fastest and most uncomfortable 2 course meal of my life. The food was ok. My crab starter very nice, but the seafood in the linguine as a main was a bit overcooked and my wife didn't enjoy her starter. All in all a real shame as manners cost nothing, we had plenty of time to enjoy a nice meal and it was completely ruined by bad manners and rudeness. Completely at odds with the fantastic hospitality we found everywhere else in the area.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank floatyman
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I am sorry you felt the need to review us negitivley even though you state you enjoyed the food. I recall your visit as people are not often late an if they are they usually let us know. You were booked in for 6pm when you made the booking we explained that we have an second sitting at 8pm. You wanted a later table but we were full on the later sitting. You said that was not a problem. You arrived at 6.45 and mentioned you thought it was for 6.30. I politely explained that we need the table back at 8pm and felt there was not enough time to honour the booking. You wanted to go ahead and promised that we can have the table back. The service will be rushed as it then took you twenty minuets to decide on your choices. That got us to 7.05pm leaving us to cook and serve you in 55minuets. All our food is cooked from fresh so it won't come out instantly. To be honest maybe I should have gone with my first thought of cancelling your booking on your late arrival. Or given the table away to the two couples that popped in at 6.15. On busy nights I am afraid that we can not delay later bookings to allow you to stay longer as you suggested. As it's not the fault of the next guest that you were late. Sorry
guisborough
“Spurious reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Full transparency here. I am the chef at Smugglers, my name is Mark Chamberlain. I would like to comment on the review previously which I am sad to say is absolute libel. We have just received our 5 star health and hygiene award and all our fish comes in fresh everyday. Everything is cooked with care to the specific requirements and hygiene rules. To put a review like this on is not only lying but irresponsible as myself and my colleagues take our jobs very seriously and even though we are human and make mistakes sometimes, we always check with our customers and value all feedback we receive. I am sure that anybody that HAS eaten with us will realise this is a spoof review.

2 Thank silverchambo
Nottingham
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We went there after reading reviews and couldn't be more disappointed !!! I had seafood linguine and my husband had mussels. We didn't enjoy our meals and were not asked how our meals were once we had finished; this is the only restaurant where we have not been asked. We also saw a waitress rolling a cigarette behind the bar whilst we was eating which didn't look very professional and was very of putting. To top the night off, once I had eaten the food I was violently sick all night. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

8 Thank Catlady385
lisa W, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
I am very saddened to find that some one would want to put a fake review on our trip advisor.

They have not even had the guts to put information on there profile, they have posted via mobile phone and guess what they have never reviewed before or anywhere else.

I am sure the sensible past, present and future guests can see through this malicious act an take the time to read a few more and get a general genuine feeling of what we offer.

I am not going to waste anymore time on this hideous account that is using Trip Advisor in the wrong manner.