“Wonderful food, service and surroundings.”
Review of Smugglers

Smugglers
Price range: US$13 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Smugglers Bistro and Bar is a candle-lit Bistro and bar. Situated just meters from the dock the smuggling history of the bay is brought to life in our wonderfully romantic restaurant. Specialising in fresh seafood and locally sourced meats we offer a range of dishes. Our cosy Bistro and wine bar offers a range on Gins and fine wines in an adult only area.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, service and surroundings.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a week in Robin Hoods Bay back in January and this was one of three restaurants we ate at in the village during our stay.

The restaurant itself is tucked underneath holiday accommodations but doesnt feel cramped despite it's size, it fits it's name perfectly and you almost feel like your inside the hull of a ship!

The food was some of the best I've tasted and we were both very impressed. A wide selection of special dishes including lots of locally sourced seafood was on offer, all of which sounded wonderful. We had a three course meal with wine and although not the cheapest place in the Bay, the food was worth the price and we would definitely visit again - completely excellent!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank MartynAhoy
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
What a great review. I am so pleased you not only noticed the quality of the food but also the other things smugglers has to offer . I hope you return to The Bay soon and enjoy the eateries again.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Smugglers restaurant”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Absolutely fabulous !!! One of the nicest meals I've had in a very long time,delicious food fantastic presentation .good service can't fault it !!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jean R
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
It's great to get your honest feed back. Thank you. We look forward to seeing you again
York
“Ignore the negative reviews”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked a table here as part of the surprise weekend I arranged for my husbands birthday. We visit Robin Hood Bay regularly and we've always thought it would be nice to eat at the Smugglers when staying over. After booking read some rather negative reviews but a friend told me she had had a lovely meal there so left the booking. I am so pleased we did it was lovely. The meal was excellent, the service great, the place is very quaint and has a romantic atmosphere. We both really enjoyed our evening and would not hesitate to go again.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank mazdalaydee
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for keeping your booking. I always think word of mouth is the best way to know . I also thank your friend for spreading the word for us. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to you recommending us to others and any future visits you may make.
London, United Kingdom
“Book”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This restaurant was very busy but we had booked but had to eat slightly earlier than we would normally. Food was excellent, the lager awful but the Rioja top drawer so good all round.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Bobbelar
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put an honest review on. We look forward to seeking you again soon
Chester, United Kingdom
“Didn't feel very welcome”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My experience was back in the second week of April 2014. We booked a 6 O'clock table but unfortunately we mistakenly thought our reservation was at 6:30. Our mistake entirely, however I still cannot forget how we felt like we were being told off for getting mixed up. We arrived at 6:15 and said we were a little early only for a blond lady who was running the restaurant that evening to curtly tell us that we were "not early....your late!". Then we were reminded we would have to be out by 8pm. An hour and 45 mins would have been fine for a meal so I'm not sure why we were then rushed to order and our food came thick and fast with the mains hitting the table less than a minute after the starters were cleared. I watched as other tables were seated and the specials were explained to them. I had no idea there even were specials as we were sat and asked to order without anyone mentioning them. After the mains were cleared the bill was brought to us without us asking. No desserts were offered nor tea, coffee, or liqueurs. We were stunned as to how we were being treated by the blonde lady all because we were 15 minutes late! By 7pm we had our coats back on and we're leaving. It was the fastest and most uncomfortable 2 course meal of my life. The food was ok. My crab starter very nice, but the seafood in the linguine as a main was a bit overcooked and my wife didn't enjoy her starter. All in all a real shame as manners cost nothing, we had plenty of time to enjoy a nice meal and it was completely ruined by bad manners and rudeness. Completely at odds with the fantastic hospitality we found everywhere else in the area.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank floatyman
smugglesrrhb, Owner at Smugglers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I am sorry you felt the need to review us negitivley even though you state you enjoyed the food. I recall your visit as people are not often late an if they are they usually let us know. You were booked in for 6pm when you made the booking we explained that we have an second sitting at 8pm. You wanted a later table but we were full on the later sitting. You said that was not a problem. You arrived at 6.45 and mentioned you thought it was for 6.30. I politely explained that we need the table back at 8pm and felt there was not enough time to honour the booking. You wanted to go ahead and promised that we can have the table back. The service will be rushed as it then took you twenty minuets to decide on your choices. That got us to 7.05pm leaving us to cook and serve you in 55minuets. All our food is cooked from fresh so it won't come out instantly. To be honest maybe I should have gone with my first thought of cancelling your booking on your late arrival. Or given the table away to the two couples that popped in at 6.15. On busy nights I am afraid that we can not delay later bookings to allow you to stay longer as you suggested. As it's not the fault of the next guest that you were late. Sorry