“Stay - September 2013”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
London, United Kingdom
“Stay - September 2013”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions - the hotel has been recently refurbished with an art deco theme.

As ever, the staff at this hotel, really do deliver excellent customer service. I always get a warm welcome from reception staff. The day after I arrived, it was raining heavily and as I went to get my car and leave for the day, I realised that someone else had parked so closely to me that it was impossible to get into the driver's seat. Despite efforts made by the staff to locate the owner of this car - to no avail and the fact I'm not agile enough to climb over the central console of my car, Kelly, one of the reception staff volunteered to climb over the console and reverse the car out of the parking space for me despite the heavy rain - that's an example of how staff go above and beyond for their guests.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and very clean - bathroom very large.

I really enjoyed an evening meal in the Hotel's Italian restaurant - good value for money. The breakfast is of good quality with a wide range of food on offer. As ever, I got a warm friendly welcome from Stuart.

One ongoing gripe - as a member of the Hotel chain's loyalty programme I should be awarded points not only for cost of the room but also for what I spend in the restaurant & bar. Once again, points for expenditure in the restaurant and bar were omitted from the award necessitating a claim to be made for the missing points - IHG Loyalty members - check your statements carefully.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Many thanks for leaving your comments on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. All our staff strive on giving all our guests the best possible service and will always go that extra mile.

After hearing your comments regarding the missing points from IHG, we did investigate the situation. Unfortunately when you stayed with us due to a technical error the interface between our computer system and Loyalty connect was down. This resulted in missing points, we have since then got the link back up and running and the problem has been rectified.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Keith Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed her as a stop over on a long journey to Scotland. Pretty much a perfect stay. Check in was straight forward, room was well laid out, with enough space, bed comfortable, and I was not disturbed by noise from the road or other guests. The Wifi was reliable and not too slow. Dinner was well presented ( bar meal) and arrived in good time with great service, Breakfast was good too and the check out was efficient.

I really liked it - would definitely look to stay again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
I am so pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next in the area.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stay in many holiday inns, most pretty drab. Great refurb very modern, rooms really nice for the money. Great hotel restaurant with good food and wine. Loverly modern bar. Have to say all staff very friendly, efficient and nice. (Funny smell at the minute but that's not the hotels fault)

• Stayed September 2013
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Many thanks for leaving your feedback regarding your nights stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night for my sons passing out which they offer discount rates for. Spacious family room,nice layout and very clean. The restaurant and food were good no complaints would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great you hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Scotch Corner on Sunday, 1st September 2013. We were on our way north to a family funeral and decided to break our journey overnight to stay at a comfortable hotel and enjoy a relaxing meal. We were delighted with the hotel and our room - very modern and clean with everything we needed even an iron and ironing board. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We placed a reservation at reception for an evening meal at a time that would allow us plenty of time to relax afterwards.

We arrived at the restaurant on time, only to be told that they had no record of our reservation. However, they found us a table and took our order. 30 minutes later our soup arrived. Looked very good, but no spoons. Our spoons arrived 10 minutes later. The soup was excellent once we could eat it. The plates were cleared and then, after a further 40 minutes wait, our main course arrived. The excuse was that they were busy with a coach party and that it took the chef 25 minutes to cook the duck breast that my wife had ordered. I pointed out that we had been waiting for 40 mins and even I know that it doesn't take 25 minutes to cook a duck breast. There was no apology offered. My steak was cooked well, but when my wife tried to eat the duck, it wasn't medium, as ordered, it wasn't even rare, it was raw and tough and she was unable to cut it, let alone eat it. Had she eaten any, it could have given her food poisoning. She sent it back and decided just to eat the vegetables. However, the fries looked as though they had been reheated many times and they were dried out and inedible.

When we were given the bill, we were told that they had not charged us for our main course because of all the inconvenience. This was appreciated, but after 2 hours of poor service and lame excuses, we were anything but relaxed and refreshed. The food in the restaurant was extremely expensive for what it was and we regret not having a bar meal, which was a more varied menu and a lot cheaper.

It was such a disappointment that a very comfortable and all round excellent hotel could be let down by such inefficiency and lack of customer care in their restaurant. Problems do occur and mistakes do happen. If they had only come clean and said that they had obviously made a mistake and mislaid our order then we could have reconsidered and changed our order for something more readily available. They obviously had the poorly trained "B" Team on duty that evening or were severely under-staffed and unable to cope with the situation.

At breakfast the following morning, it was exactly the opposite. We had fantastic, efficient service and the food was excellent.

Would we stay at that hotel again? Maybe, but we would either have a bar meal or eat out. We would definitely not recommend the restaurant for an evening meal based on our experience.

Room Tip: None of the rooms appeared to have a decent view, it is next to a traffic island on the A1, but no t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Keith S, Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Holiday Inn Darlington. I apologies for the poor service you received in the restaurant that evening as this is not our usual level or service and hope to see you return in the near future.
Manchester
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was really impressed with this hotel. I hadn't previously stayed in a Holiday Inn for about 6 years and my expectations were just that this was a cheap hotel and a place to rest my head for the night.

Value for money was excellent. The rooms were spacious and light. The beds were big and comfortable with a choice of pillows. The hotel offered a bar area and also served breakfast which had a good selection and was of a decent standard for a buffet style service.

the staff were really friendly and assisted with taxi bookings.

The hotel was decorated to a really high standard and never once did I feel like i was in a budget hotel - Well done Holiday Inn,

I would definitely stay here again If I was in the area

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great to here you had such an enjoyable stay and hope to see you return in the near future.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed one night at Scotch Corner Holiday Inn and it was great except for the bed. The bed was too soft and we were rolling into each other all night. I'm sure it would be fine for one person but for a couple, it was uncomfortable.
However, it was a relaxing place to stay and I appreciated that the gym & pool were open from 630am until 10pm. They provide fresh towels and the change rooms/lockers were clean. The service was also friendly and professional.
Breakfast was great in the morning; the service was quick, the food was tasty. All in all, it was exactly what we were after for a 1 night stay - if only the bed was firm, it would have been ideal!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review in regards to your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the use of our facilities.

We take on board comments in regards to the mattress; we do check the condition of our mattresses on a regular basis to ensure all our guests get a comfortable night stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotch Corner
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,068 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!