Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
A66 Motel(Richmond)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
PremierInn.com
All reviewsexecutive roomcomplimentary waterseparate buildingovernight stopfree wifileisure clubbar mealsmini barleisure centrecar parkreception staffan upgradequiet roomsteam roombuffet stylegood nights sleepnight stay
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hotel is good enough but has the potential to be so much better. It's located superbly, the rooms are comfortable and you get a warm welcome.

The reasons I'm not marking it higher are:

Breakfast - they need more staff. The ones there do their best but, if you arrive at a busy time, coffee is forgotten, things on the buffet run out etc.

Lounge Service - hit and miss. Sometimes it's ok but there's always the feeling the waitresses would enjoy their job more if there were no customers.

Internet -free but very, very slow especially in the rooms I've had.

These may seem like petty, minor gripes but the frustrating thing is they could be fixed so easily. If they did this, there's no reason future reviews couldn't be much better.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay with us.
I am glad to hear you found your stay comfortable and I have taken on board the comments you’re made regarding the restaurant and bar area and we welcome any opportunity to improve.

We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I visited the Holiday Inn, Scotch Corner during the summer to have a lunch meeting with a colleague. On arrival I noticed the car park was very full, but fortunately found pretty much the last available space.

My colleague and I enjoyed our lunch in the bar which was club sandwich and a toasted sandwich of some sort, both with chips. Food was nicely presented, tasty and well cooked and offers really good value at just under £10 per meal. Service was a little slow, but staff were very pleasant and apologised that they were extremely busy and had a lot of orders which had come in at the same time. We weren't unduly worried as we were in no rush.

I also had a coffee which I thought was very nice - certainly better than expected from this sort of venue.

Would I recommend this venue? Well, it is nice and newly refurbished and the service is very good. Some of the seating is cleverly designed to facilitate privacy for business meetings, but it is quite busy - as I left cars were circling waiting for a space. Inside is busy too, so you need to get there by 11am to get one of the better seats.

I suppose my decision not to recommend this venue is based on value. Lunch and a couple of soft drinks for two came to just over £30 which in itself is not too bad. However, a week after visiting, I received an invoice for the car park for £100, although a discount was offered for prompt payment (£60). Apparently the first two hours parking is free, after which the charge applies. I wonder if the kitchen staff are instructed to hold food orders back to enable the hotel to earn additional revenue through the car park?

This meant a single course lunch of sandwich and chips for two without alcohol cost nearly £100 which, to put it mildly, I think can be bettered elsewhere.

My recommendation would be to try the 1911 club at Bradford City where a delicious three course meal costs just £7.50 per person and the parking and Wifi is free. You would have to live a long, long way from Bradford to spend the difference on fuel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the parking fine you received while using our hotel facilities. The first two hours are free for anyone parking in the car park, but it does state on the parking signs that are places outside and inside of the hotel that for any customer using our facilities it is complimentary free parking for as long as you are in the hotel, you just need to register your details at reception. The parking fine you received can be cancelled for you; we would just need you to directly contact the hotel and we can get that sorted for yourself.

Again my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

They didn't want to know I had a Priority membership-ordered paper did not arrive and room was basic, but ok. Hotel seems to have had a refurb recently. Bed had a problem creaking (timber tearing) in bottom corner and the bathroom fan remained on for around 15 minutes when the light was turned off. The Fratello Restraurant will make us think about returning but,...

Room Tip: Book a table at the Fratello Restaurant as it is very good and manager is very good. Hotel has had a refurb and looks good. Ask for a room near reception.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.

We take on board all your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was really surprised and impressed with this hotel. It's not in a particularly beautiful setting, being on a roundabout between the A66 and A1, but don't let that put you off as the location is perfect for travellers and people on holiday in the area too. The interior of the hotel is beautiful, it's clean, fresh and modern and the staff are excellent. I stayed with my husband, daughter and granddaughter and we were given an executive room connected to a standard room and both were big and spotlessly clean. I can't comment on the food because we didn't eat there but breakfast at £10 seemed reasonable enough. When I'm back in the area I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

We are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us at the Holiday Inn - Darlington and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel brings you back to the area.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here whilst visiting family in nearby Darlington. Reception staff were lovely and had went out of there way to get us linking rooms... beautiful art-deco theme throughout the hotel and VERY accessible to people with limited mobility/push chairs/etc. Only bad thing was there was an odd smell of poo in certain areas! Although it must of not been that bad as I do intend to stay here again when next doing the 'visit the family' tour of the UK.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we accommodated to your needs.
We hope to see you again when your next in the UK