“One night b&b stay, was just what I needed, very little to complain at, impressed would on based on one night stay recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Driving up M1/A1 got to stage where needed a good sleep previous nights stay in Leeds not much sleep (clubbing till three, oh I don't drink before you jump to conclusion).
I arrived at Scotch Corner with only a ninety minute journey left, but decided I'd rather pay the £79 than fall asleep at the wheel. I was met by a charming young lady at reception, who found me a room and booked me in with the littlest of fuss, explaining everything I needed to know, directing me to my room. The room a standard sort of Holiday Inn room, which was clean, tidy and welcoming (even had a fridge and a kit kat chilling). The TV was superb the sound and quality as good as home, the bed a comfortable double, the heating/air con easy to use, no or little noise from outside. The bathroom was light well decorated, and contained complimentary shampoo, and foam bath the later certainly help take me relax and unwind. No obvious issues with bathroom and I'm not one who goes looking with magnifying glass, the same goes for the room. My only thought at the time was that it was designed for a man.
I was asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow and had a undisturbed sleep, after a good shower, went for breakfast which was a buffet style and a good quality, and unlike a lot of hotels served a decent sausage. I think the girls could crack a smile in the restaurant though, they only seemed to be interested in getting tables clear as soon as

Check out, was the same young lady as check in and she was very pleasant and remembered what we had been chatting about the previous night, which I like

All in all can't really fault the place, but I was only there for B&B, would liked to have used the pool but wanted to get on my way

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank 12thDomino
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Darlington.

I am pleased to hear you had such a pleasant stay with us and you were impressed with the staff. We aim to make all our guests feel comfortable and relaxed throughout their stay.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future and perhaps next time you will be able to experience all of the facilities we provide at the hotel.

Keith Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Errol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have stayed here a number of times for business. The hotel its self is clean, modern and comfortable. The rooms are quiet and a good size and again have always been immaculate.

The food is good, however the choice is limited in the bar menu with only a few main courses which gets quite boring if you stay in Holiday Inn's regularly.

The service is absolutely where this hotel lets itself down. Last night I sat in the very quiet bar and watched the bar man Jack watch TV while completely ignoring the fact I was waiting to be served, wasnt even as though there was anything interesting on. This evening I have sat in the bar for nearly 15 minutes without so much as an acknowledgement, yet a group of four walk in and are immediately seated, drinks and food order taken by the manager no less. yet when I say something to him he quickly disappears. The gentlemen he was serving must have been millionaires. The fact I stay in holiday Inn`s 15-20 nights month and have stayed here a number of times must not matter. It will certainly be the last.

The service throughout the hotel is particularly bad, the red headed girl that works on breakfast seems to misunderstand everything I say to her. Its a real shame as this could be a top notch hotel. Service is quite frankly pathetic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I’m pleased to hear you were impressed with most of the aspects of the hotel. I would like to apologise that you were not satisfied with the service you received while dining in our bar area. All our staff aim to provide the best possible service to our guests, I can appreciate on this occasion this was not up to standard. I have spoken with the bar manager about this incident and it has been looked into further.
We do hope to see you again in the future to ensure you experience a more professional and efficient service.

Chehster-leStreet
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Very nice recently refurbished hotel just off the A1M on the A66 interchange with a large free car park

We booked through priority club and were indeed greeted as a priority club member by a very friendly member of staff who had already completed the paperwork and gave us a free upgrade.

The room was large, clean and very comfortable and WIFI excellent allowing to to connect to work for a couple of hours free of charge

The bar and restaurant were very comfortable and tastefully decorated with an extensive menu for both. We ate in the restaurant and it was excellent.

My main complaints were
1. On booking in I mentioned that my wife was gluten free and the reception manager said that it was not a problem but when we went for dinner and for breakfast there was no gluten free bread. This is disappointing and the first if many hotels unable to supply. M&S is 300 yards away so they could easily have bought some!

2. about 50% of the light bulbs needed changing meaning certain parts of the bar was a little dark but the lighting effect from the large ceiling mounted lights / shades was spoilt

3. The leisure facilities were good but the sauna could do with a clean (under the benches)

To conclude, a great hotel, friendly staff and I will be back armed with my own supply of gluten free bread

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn. Firstly I’d like to apologise that the gluten free bread was not provided to your wife at breakfast. Kitchen were advised about the bread the night before, and it was in the hotel. I can only apologise it was not given to you at breakfast. I have also taken on board all your other comments regarding the lighting and our leisure facilities; they have been dealt with separately.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights as was goin to a wedding near by. Our room
Was 111 which was big enough and lovely bathroom with complimentary kitkats water&orange. Our room
Though had an awful smell of drains if we opened the windows!! The over head shower wasnt great either but luckily they had a handheld head aswell. Gorgeous reception, staircase and hallways!! Staff were very nice too. Bed was changed with clean bedding each night and the fridge restocked ! I had room service: sandwich and it was delish!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with our staff. Thank you for your comments regarding the issues with the smell, this has now been looked into and rectified.

Hope to see you again

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Having stayed at numerous Holiday Inn hotels around the country,we decided to book at this hotel as we were attending a family function nearby.

To say that we were disappointed is an understatement.Main areas of complaint were:

- Attitude of reception staff on arrival and departure(no welcome on arrival,didn't ask if we had enjoyed our stay on departure and couldn't be bothered to try and answer queries during our stay)
- Light in bathroom and bedside not working
- Breakfast was cold apart from the coffee.

Holiday Inn clearly has high standards which this hotel did not meet.Certainly would not stay here again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GAG1952
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. I can only apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay. I will look into these issues further, to ensure we are delivering the best possible service to our guests.

We hope to see you again in the future and offer you the full service you would expect from a Holiday Inn.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Lovely hotel, very welcoming. The executive room was great, lots of space, and a huge bed. Breakfast was good,with lots of choice available, and the staff were very happy to bring extra tea/coffee when asked. Overall a very pleasant stay

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here a month ago and found it brilliant in every way, so much so that we came again last weekend and brought our brother and his wife. Unfortunately this stay wasn't as enjoyable. We had rooms over the function room and to say it was noisy doesn't do it justice!! At half eleven I went and asked if it would be possible to change rooms as it was so noisy and was told there weren't any rooms available, but an hour later when my brother in law went and complained he was given another room, we were also then given one. How can 2 rooms suddenly be available?! I felt really annoyed that I was dismissed by asking nicely and politely, why do you always have to make a big fuss before anyone listens to you in these places!! I must admit we were given a complimentary breakfast as compensation but felt too tired to do it justice! I think it was poor planning on room allocations as surely people attending the function should be given these rooms and let guests who wish to rest before continuing their journeys have quieter rooms. Such a shame after our first visit was so good. If you're thinking of staying here make sure you have rooms away from function room, otherwise it's a lovely place to stay

Room Tip: Make sure your room is away from function room!!!!!!