“made the reservation arrived at the hotel and found they had no rooms”

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“made the reservation arrived at the hotel and found they had no rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I did not even see the inside of the bedroom. I made the reservation around 17.00 and then drove the 1 1/2 hours to the hotel, at the reception I was told that they had overbooked and that there was no room at the inn for me, and that they had outsourced my booking to another hotel (which was not acceptable to me)

I therefore drove back to Nottingham tired and disappointed with this hotel

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Davidnotts
Amelia S, Front of House Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Firstly I would like to apologise for the issue you encountered with us at the hotel. I can understand what a big inconvenience it was for you to have booked a room at the hotel only to find there wasn’t a room available, finding ourselves overbooked is not something we are very familiar with. We are currently investigating what went wrong with the system to allow rooms to be sold when they were not available.
Again my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused.
Amelia Sopp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is an excellent hotel with first class amenities. The hotel is quite well run but we found that it is understaffed at peak times. The bar staff are pushed very hard and this means quite long waits for drinks at times, on our recent visit there was a long wait to get served although the barmaid was run off her feet, how she kept pleasant with everyone is a miracle. I have waited quite a long time before at this hotel. The food menu is quite good but the Italian restaurant is not to my liking. For one night I would recommend this hotel but it is a bit remote from nearby facilities. Compared to some places it is good value.

Room Tip: a good HOLIDAY INN. No recommendations about room location.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear patrick2012_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel excellent with first class amenities. However, I apologize for the level of service received and if you didn't find our Italian restaurant to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by our hotel management, and your review is no exception.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dacre
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I parked at this hotel, paid my parking fee and left the hotel an hour within the expiry time of the ticket. One week later I received a parking ticket and, of course, had thrown the ticket away that would proved that I had indeed paid.

My advice is to go to much more customer friendly hotels round and about or, if you do use this car park, keep the ticket and be ready for a battle.

I gave up and paid the ticket and will in future use hotels that are focused on providing excellent hospitality for guests, not using their car parks as a money making venture. You may have won £60, Holiday Inn, but you have lost as a result a whole stream of income from me.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Keptcalmandcarriedon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Keptcalmandcarriedon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that we have fallen short to your expectations when it comes with the level of service we have provided. I would like to assure you that we have taken your feedback into account and I would like to follow up on your experience. I have sent you a private message to get more information on how we can assist you further.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a good example of a Holiday Inn. The quality of the rooms are good, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The only downside of this hotel is the public rooms can get very crowded if there is a function on, and you can sometimes face a long wait at the bar. The attached restaurant is very good (the chips are particularly good!). Despite my wariness of any car parking solution using ANPR, this seemed to work without hitch, and there is no problem with car park capacity. The hotel's location is handy, but is right next to the main road, so some external noise may be present in rooms at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter - away from road noise and noise from functions
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I wasn't expecting a lot from this hotel considering its on a main busy road and is a holiday inn, how wrong was I.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, the bar area is very good with a great butter called black sheep on draught.
The rooms were a little small but modern and clean.
The breakfast was nice but a little cold as it had been standing a while.
For a business trip this hotel is bang on.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Amelia S, Front of House Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments on your recent stay. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I would like to apologise for the issue with breakfast, your comments regarding the temperature of the food will be passed onto our head chef.

We hope to see you again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

5 star service with breakfast only £74 a night, amazing food top quality rooms and very classy. Staff were so friendly and wanted to give you the best experience they could nothing was too much trouble. Many choices of food & drink, an experience I won't forget all in all everything was perfect :) loved wish I could of stayed longer!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Amelia S, Front of House Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you leaving the hotel such a lovely review, it's great to hear you had such a great stay with us and the staff did everything they could to make you feel comfortable and relaxed throughout your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Almere, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here in the last weekend of May. The hotel is newly renovated and is very attractive. The staff were helpful and friendly and the room was clean and spacious - enough space to store our tandem overnight. The room had a fridge which was stocked daily with complimentary water and fruit juice, and the toiletries were replenished daily. We ate in the hotel one night and the food (sandwiches) were very good.

But, the bed was like a rock. We managed a few hours sleep on the first night probably due to the long drive up from the Channel but the second and third nights were unbearable, even after long bike rides in the Dales. Spoke to the desk staff who offered to inspect the mattress, as if it were faulty, but being hard is obviously a design feature. Additionally the bed was only a double which meant repositioning throughout the night was a further disturbance. I would have thought that, as the hotel is newly refurbished, king-size beds would be the norm as there was certainly enough space.

The room had a barely-breathing air-con which struggled to cool the room after the flatscreen TV had been on for a few minutes.

The mattress aside, the hotel is certainly value for money given it's proximity to the Dales and Moors but I'll think twice before staying here again. Shame.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving us your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Darlington. I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered with the mattress in your bedroom, we do have 2 types of rooms in the hotel, our standard double and also executive rooms that do have a king size bed. I am sorry to hear you did however find this mattress uncomfortable. The issues you have mentioned in regards to the air con is much appreciated and this will be looked into to make sure it is functioning correctly.
I am pleased that over than a few minor issues this did not stop you from enjoying your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotch Corner
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,031 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!