“Great food, great staff, great service = Great night”
Review of Blue Bell Inn

Blue Bell Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Weaverthorpe B&B and Inns
Leeds
“Great food, great staff, great service = Great night”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I booked a private room on Satrurday 3rd May for our family to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We were warmly greeted as we arrived and shown straight to our table which was set most beautifully.

The staff were friendly, professional and were friendly to the children in the party. The service was fantastic, attentive without being overbearing. The bread was very fresh and lovely. Those that had starters all enjoyed them. The sorbet inbetween courses was a nice touch.They made special portions and meals for the children as nothing on the menu for them. All the adults loved their main courses. I had fillet steak which was cooked perfectly and was melt in the mouth quality.

The only negative was two of the party ordered sticky toffee pudding which was not very good.

It was lovely for our Grandchildren to have a quality dining experience in the ambience of a lovely country pub.

We have dined here before and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mrsb007Leeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The fact it's a struggle to park in either of it's two car parks indicates how popular this place is, and with good reason. From the friendly greeting and tentative service this place is great to visit for family/friends meal out. It's got all the feel of a traditional village pub but with posh dining experience in the cosy restaurant. We had the Sunday lunch 3 course option which was a delight, most excellent need and pork with great Yorkshire puddings and all the trimmings. The waiting staff were always on hand and well versed with the menu. The wine bottle was out of sight, but your glass was always tended to. An overall great experience. Great place to impress your family if your in the area (although I would book well in advance).

Stayed May 2014
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay here and can't wait to go back! Stayed in one of the champagne rooms (got up-graded) - gorgeous! We had 1 lunch, 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts here and couldn't fault it! Fab food, all piping hot on warm plates - a big plus. Wouldn't expect anything else here though - the service and staff both brilliant, very attentive - we will be back!! Have to mention Jaz - a fantastic host, NOT GRUMPY, he's a pussycat in lions clothing!!! This place has it all, warm and friendly bar, fab restaurant, 10/10..

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

As regulars at the Blue Bell, staying in the wonderful rooms each time the food and hospitality were as usual 10/10. Especially the warmth and bend over backwards attitude of Jaz! We have introduced a range of friends to the Blue Bell all of which have had a wonderful time and are now frequent visitors.

• Stayed February 2014
county durham
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had booked one of the private dining rooms for my Father's 80th Birthday celebrations and the logistics of planning a surprise meal for family and friends from approximately 90 miles away was quite tricky. However, the Manager, Adam Cooper could not have been more helpful. He talked me through wine choices over the phone and explained the table and room layout and confirmed it would be ok to arrive on the lunchtime of the event to decorate the room with balloons etc.

The restaurant was fully booked that night and our party of 12 were quite expecting a considerable wait for drinks and food. However, Adam had everything running like a well oiled ship and we were served drinks promptly and given menus and then someone came back to take orders not long afterwards.

Huge thanks must also go to the Chef as the food was absolutely gorgeous and all 12 meals were served together and piping hot. There were no complaints from our table! Excellent menu choices too - something for everyone.

Some family members also booked to stay overnight and told us the rooms were excellent, as was breakfast the next morning (although I do believe some of them may have been a little on the 'fluffy' side the next morning due to such a great night!)

Although this pub/restaurant are in a village quite a way from a main town, I can see why it is so successful. The owner is very lucky to have such talented staff and I hope he keeps them for many years to come!

I would most definitely recommend this place and hope to return for a repeat performance soon!

Room Tip: My brother chose the Champagne Rooms and said they were excellent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

As an owner of local holiday lets which have the capability of housing 20 occupants (therefore 20 new potential customers on a weekly basis) myself and husband went in to sample the food and "landlord" after we had a review left in our guest book(we leave this book for guests to put in comments and recommendations of local pubs/restaurants and days out that they recommend to future guests). One of the said comments mentioned the Blue Bell in Weaverthorpe and had said (in their words) fantastic 5* food! staff polite giving exception to the landlord who was arrogant and rude beyond belief! We decided to try this for ourselves as we haven't been for quite some time and couldn't agree more! The food was absolutely first class so full marks to the chef(s) but the landlord was the most patronising, rude, arrogant person I think We have ever met. It's such a shame as we will only be recommending this place for the food but will definitely recommend other places before this one... The Anvil Arms In Wold Newton wins hands down with beautiful home made food and the friendliest staff and landlady... Also the Star Inn which is located next door to the Blue Bell. The only reason this has been rated as 1 star is purely based on the ogre that owns this place and NOT because of the amazing food!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Foxyroxy888
Yorkshire
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked a specific table in the bar well in advance and arrived to find this table occupied by others. We pointed this out to the staff who appeared to be embarrassed by the situation and we were seated elsewhere. During the evening it became apparent that the people sitting at the table we had booked were very friendly with the owner.

The following day I rang the owner for an explanation as to how this 'mistake' occurred. I was rudely informed that he reserved the right to seat people wherever he wished as he saw fit.

I have made the same booking several times before for the same table. The staff member taking the booking has always assured me I can have that table and I have not previously had a problem. If the owner has changed his policy then we should have been advised AT THE TIME OF BOOKING, giving us the opportunity to go elsewhere.

I have given this place a low rating purely because of the behaviour of the owner who, in my view, is unprofessional and rude. In contrast to him his staff are polite and efficient and the chef (whoever he is) is a real genius. I feel very sorry for all them having the boss they have. I have recommended this place to all my friends in the past but will not be doing so in the future and we will not be returning ourselves. As it is I feel every sympathy for the staff who have to work for this guy (having seen the way he treats them!).

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank A C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weaverthorpe
The Old Lodge
Ganton Greyhound Inn
Ganton Greyhound Inn
#1 of 1 in Ganton
The Old Mill Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Blue Bell Inn? Share your experiences!