“Average”

Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Hellidon lakes is one of those places that could be amazing. A great location, rolling countryside and stunning views all should mean a top rating, however they don't. The place lacks atmosphere and some of the staff are disinterested , not all, but some.
The food is also distinctly average and not cheap for what it is, average pub food at best.
I left feeling disappointed that such a great location didn't have an amazing hotel to go with it.
On the plus side the golf course is ok, but the greens where very slow, not quite up to par.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Did not stay at the hotel, thankfully, but my wife and I went as evening guests to a friends wedding reception. Upon arrival and prior to going through to the main function room the guests congregated in the bar area. My wife and I had a white wine and soda spritzer costing £13.60 for the two drinks. A tad expensive I thought particularly as the soda was from a "gun" not a bottle. However, by the time we needed a refill we had moved through to the main function room. I ordered the same again and this time I was charged £8.20. I looked around to see if a drinks price list was available to see which price was correct but to no avail. A few minutes after purchasing the second drink, the person who served the first drink, a man dressed in a suit, clearly a manager of some sorts, arrived to help out. I waited until he became free and asked if we could have a quiet chat somewhere but he asked me if there was a problem so I informed him of the difference in prices to which he replied that they served larger drinks through in the bar, hence the difference in price. I advised him this was not the case and the drinks were identical, to which he replied that the measure in the bar was 175ml whereas the measure in the function room was 125ml. I then informed him that the bar person serving the second drink had not used a measure but had simply poured the wine directly into the glass to which he had the audacity to say "oh no she didn't". At this point I began to get annoyed at being called a liar in front of guests so I asked him to go and ask the girl, which he did. The girl admitted that she had not used a measure and although he did not offer an apology he did refund the £5.40 difference when I requested it.
Another guest, an uncle of the groom, came and told me the he had ordered 3 hamburgers and a pack of sandwiches in the room, costing £54, and when the food arrived the bread in the sandwiches was stale. At these sort of prices you surely have the right to expect a reasonable level of quality and not expensive rubbish.
After finishing our second drink I was still so annoyed with the service, we apologised to our hosts for having to make an early exit, ordered a taxi and left the premises, never to return.
I have since checked the website and there is no indication of a drinks price list and in the bars the staff use a touch screen but as the screens are facing into the bar and not seen by the customer and no receipt given, any number of anomalies could occur.

1  Thank Micky-B1812
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed over easter weekend, kids loved the bowling alley, swimming pool and putting green.
So much to keep them amused,

Reviewed 20 April 2014

2night easter break. Excellent facilities and lovely views. The golf course was well maintained. The terrace bar gave superb views of the 18th par 3 over the lake. Breakfast & evening meal plentiful. Staff were friendly. Special mention to the manager Tom who gave us a lift to the village when taxis were too busy on a Saturday evening.

1  Thank muncher40
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Well, I stayed in September for the weekend and it was wonderful so I treated my mother in law for her 7th birthday. Again.. another fantastic stay even though it was only for the day! Made very welcome and jade by consultant for treatment, was again top notch - a definite 15 out of 10. A lovely buffet lunch and really didn't want to leave! The 150 mile drive really was worth it! I cannot recommend this hotel and spa enough... from the manager to the waiting staff and everyone in between, you cannot ask for a better quality hotel! Thank you again x