“Great "Made in Ohio" gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of KitchenAid Experience Retail Center

KitchenAid Experience Retail Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The KitchenAid Experience retail center brings our passion alive through exceptional products, cooking demonstrations and exciting events that celebrate the spirit and pride that is KitchenAid. Explore the store to find the most complete collection of first-quality countertop and culinary products made by KitchenAid. You'll find all the special KitchenAid colors, styles and accessories you've been wanting as well as any innovative, new products KitchenAid is constantly developing. Our complete line of gadgets, bakeware, cookware, cutlery, and textiles will fit the needs of everyone on your gift list.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access
Cleveland, OH
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great "Made in Ohio" gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

My girlfriend and I live in Cleveland, and she's been talking about how awesome the Kitchenaid Stand Mixers are for as long as I've known her.

I had planned on finally giving her one for Christmas and when I learned they are made in Ohio -- and since we both love a little bit of an adventure -- I figured I'd suprise her with a road trip to see where they're made and then let her pick one to come home with.

Tours at the Kitchenaid factory (1701 Kitchenaid Way -- the address above is for the retail store) are offered at 12:30 Tuesday-Friday for $5 (cash only) and Rachel and I arrived a really early -- so we hit the retail store first and she chose her loot with the assistance of a very helpful staff (in a sea of Kitchenaid products and accessories). In hindsight, I would wait to visit the store until after the factory tour -- but more about that later.

We returned to the factory about 10 minutes before tour time, paid the fee, and then waited for our guide -- who tunred out to be an Auditor who's worked at the plant for 34 years and cheerfully led us around the factory decrribing the steps and parts that go into making a product that is nearly legendary while answering quesitions along the way. While I may have prefered something a little "deper" I think it was the perfect mix of detail and speed for the average person -- and it was great to have the tour presented by someone who's actually working on the factory floor.

At the conclusion of the tour -- where our guide hapily answered all of the questions thrown at her -- we were offered a holiday promotion that offered a nicer model at a lower price -- so we heded back to the store and made the echange.

The tour highlihgs some interesting facts -- like the fact that this is the only factory in the world making KitchenAid Stand Mixers, the detail in the assembly process -- and only lasts about an hour.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank lincolnjkc

Washington State
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Factory Tour Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

This review is for the Kitchenaid factory tour. It costs $5 and takes about an hour? You go into the manufacturing plant and see the mixers (both bowl and hand) and blenders being made. You must wear closed shoes and the provided safety glasses, as well as a headphone contraption as the factory is loud.

That the basics. Personally, I love catching a glimpse of behind the scenes, and I always appreciate what is made in America, but sadly this was not one of the better tours I've been on. The tour guide was definitely lackluster. We'd walk by a bin of parts (like a gear), she'd pull one out and tell us about it. It seemed like she was making up the tour as she went along. Seriously, if I hadn't had to pay for the tour, I'd probably wouldn't be complaining about it, but to me it just seemed like another money maker for them, that the company didn't want to put in too much effort. The employees seem to rotate "who is gonna have to give the tour today," as there is no dedicated tour guide. The employee who gave us our tour had been there for years (more than 30!), so it wasn't due to lack of knowledge about the company. I can see where the company doesn't want to hire a dedicated tour guide, but at least get employees who have a little bit of skill and enthusiasm!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank CracklinTulip
Columbus, Ohio
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“KitchenAid - the name says it all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

What's not to love about visiting KitchenAid Experience? They have everything you'd ever want or need in the KitchenAid line and more! (Like, who knew I'd need an avocado slicer?? LOL) They do cooking demonstrations...museum in the lower level along with factory refurbished items at great prices. The customer service was outstanding - what a great bunch of gals who work there - one even shared a recipe for the meat grinder attachment we bought!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank TravelScout56
Cridersville
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Everythig, we take different freinds with us, because not only is it fun to see all the new product, it is very interesting to where it came from.

Visited May 2012
new lexington, ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great tour, awesome deals, knowledgeable staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

After my 20 yr old mixer recently died I started seriously considering the purchase of a Kitchenaid stand mixer. After looking at many deals on Craigslist, Ebay and local department stores I realized that the factory and outlet store was just a 3 hour drive. Upon arriving at the store we were warmly greeted by Barb, an older lady who had worked in the factory for 30+ years and the outlet store for several years as well.

Barb knew the product inside and out and was able to answer all of our questions without being pushy at all. After looking at the various models upstairs she urged us to look downstairs in the basement where the refurbished models were as there were some great deals. Barb explained that many of the 'refurbished' machines are actually models sent back due to close out or discontinue of a particular store. Kitchenaid then repackages in a refurbished marked package but these models still have a decent warranty. Since it was 'fair week' in Greenville they had some great deals and we ended up purchasing 3 stand mixers!

We then drove about 2-3 miles to the factory and after signing in and paying our $5 we had an in-depth tour and was impressed by the workmanship which goes into the finished product. We learned that this is the only factory in the world for the mixers and they have recently won the contract back from China to manufacture the blenders.

We felt great about supporting a company that is proudly producing an Ohio made product and creating jobs!

The factory tour is great for people interested in the inner workings of the mixer but it's also fascinating for those who are interested in mechanics and how things are made.

I suggest if you are in the market for a stand mixer that you call beforehand and speak with one of the sales people to see if they are having any specials.

Make certain that you wear covered shoes for the tour, they will provide safety goggles and a headphone setup for the audio. The tour is not recommended for small children.
$5 well spent and a great day trip!

Visited August 2012