“Nice hotel, poor wi-fi”

Holiday Inn Express Kettering
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Kettering
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Nice hotel with friendly staff. Room was clean and sizeable and I didn't notice much noise from other rooms. The only problem I found was that the wi-fi was pretty poor which was disappointing to me as a business traveller.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MNickerson, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kettering, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Good Morning Sblair197969,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hotel.
I am very pleased to hear the cleanliness of the bedroom was up to a high standard.
Thank you for your kind comments about the Hotel staff, we aim to provide the best possible customer service.

Regarding the Wi-fi, we are currently in the process of having this upgraded to a high speed standard so people like yourself can work at a high speed.
I am sorry this was an issue.

Hopefully by the time you next stay with us this will be up to a satisfactory standard.
Look forward to seeing you again soo.n
Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Kettering

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We like Holiday Inn Express as a brand and would choose them as our budget hotel first choice. The hotels are well located, modern, clean and breakfast is included.
This HIExpress in Kettering ticked all those boxes when my wife and I stayed for one night last month to break a long drive from west to east.
On check-in the ladies on the desk were very welcoming and helpful. Our double room was located at the rear and was the standard expected for this brand - reasonable size, nice bathroom, clean etc. The reception and bar area was large, comfortable and service was quick and cheerful. There is also plenty of free parking. There is no restaurant as such but there is a Harvester/Beefeater across the car park. However we opted to go into Kettering and have curry. There was plenty of choice.
All good so far.
However, we had terrible night due to the bed+mattress+pillows. Firstly, the bed, although a double, seemed small. You could tell this by the large gaps between the edges of the bed and the built-in, wall mounted bedside tables. Strange.
Secondly, the mattress was awful. It was soft, cheap and one of those ones where you both roll to the middle!
Thirdly, the pillows were thin and poor quality. I found this hard to understand having used Holiday Inn many times before.
All in all, we hardly slept a wink. I wished that HIExress had a 'Good night guarantee' like Premier Inn. I certainty would have made a claim against it here for a full refund.
To conclude. There are so many things to commend about this hotel but our sleeping experience has really put us off. We really hope future guests have a better sleeping experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MNickerson, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kettering, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Good Morning Suffolkholidayperson,

Firsty I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review, we take on board all revies and use them as a tool to help us provide a better sefvice.

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the hotel staff, it is lovely to hear positive comments.
I am glad we provided a fast and happy service for you both.

I am very sorry to hear you had an uncomfortable night's sleep and the bed, pillows and matress was not up to our usual standard.
We are in the process of renewing these at present, as such a large hotel this process is on going.
I do hope you return and enjoy a better night's sleep in one of our new beds.
If you wish to discuss this matter further please do contact the hotel and I would be more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

A very smart clean modern hotel. Check in very organised friendly staff.

Rooms are extremely comfortable.

The free breakfast although limited is very good and there is enough choice to make sure you don't go hungry. The hot drinks although from a machine are very good, and unlimited.

Considering this is a budget hotel it is well worth a visit and is excellent value for money.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stay here quite regularly lately as working in nearby Kettering the hotel is obviously new so all amenities are available and in good working order. The staff are always very accommodating and happy to help, I find the beds comfy although the pillows are not always as described -2 firm and 2 soft apparently... Shower is always good too. My main issue is with the internet connection which is poor and the lack of phone signal although this is obviously not the hotels fault! The free breakfast is also an added bonus for a hotel in this price bracket even if sausage egg and beans seems to be lacking the remaining ingredients of a full English, u can't have it all I suppose :) I shall be back many times in the coming months I imagine.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MNickerson, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kettering, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Good Morning Stephsoontobeough,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate all comments good or bad to help us provide a better service.
It is lovely to hear great comments about the staff. We are in the process of renewing our pillows so hopefully when you next stay these will be of a higher standard and more recognisible as firm and soft.
Sorry the Wi-Fi was not up to speed, this is now in the process of being rectified and will be up to a high standard by the end of March.
Unfortunatley as an Express we have breakfast brand standards and we are not allowed to serve any additional items.

We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

No problems here, Very good value, friendly staff, clean and good standard bedrooms. Light bites are available, but a Harvester on the door step so no problem over where to eat. Buffett style breakfast included in the price, again it does the job. Overall a very good experience for a very fair price.

Room Tip: As this was our first time there we had two separate rooms next to each other and were both the same...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
MNickerson, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kettering, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Good Afternoon Adrian C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review, it is so nice to hear back such positive feedback about the hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for one night in December 2012 when a last minute emergency arose when moving house.
Good points;
The staff were fantastic and friendly, we were clearly tired and dishevelled and they made us feel very welcome and comfortable. The room was fine, lovely views out the window with ample space for a travel cot - provided by the hotel.
We had a decent nights sleep (baby too). The bar was easily accessible and friendly.

Bad points;
The pillows weren't very good, flat and not many of them but that's my only criticism! Perhaps more choice at breakfast would have been nice too but that's all.

I would stay here again and recommend to others, the friendliness of the staff makes this more than just a business hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kettering, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear rocketqueencass,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am very delighted to hear about your compliments on our hotel staff and room accommodation. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. However, it sounds like we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay with regard to the quality of our bedding and limited breakfast selection. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Firstly the good points, the staff are great, the bar/lounge area is fab. Plenty of parking and the harvester is just across the way. Unfortunately I hadn't much sleep due to 3 things. The bed is the most uncomfortable I have ever been in. There is allegedly a choice of pillow-all pillows felt exactly the same & extremely uncomfortable. The last thing was some type of extractor fan would make a very loud noise every few minutes with no way of turning it off, the noise from it also contributed to my lack of sleep. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
MNickerson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kettering, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Wise1_12, thank you for compliments with regard to our team and facilities. I am so sorry that you found the bed and pillows uncomfortable. We are currently in the process of replacing all pillows in the hotel and I am sorry that you had a room which has yet to be changed. I am also hoping that you reported the noisy extractor fan to a member of staff so that we can have this fixed for the next guest.
Thank you again for your feedback, and hopefully all of these issues will be corrected for your next visit.
Kindest regards,
Marie Nickerson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kettering
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Corby
Holiday Inn Corby
#5 of 6 in Corby
Hampton by Hilton Corby

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kettering? Share your experiences!